Clairvoyance/ Second Sight/ Psychics/ Spiritualism

Guest perrie-lipper

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest perrie-lipper
You'll find no-one as open minded as me about you Inky, and i look forward to the demonstration.

If you want to get analogous about it, there's juggling and there's juggling. It's not just a case of you can or you can't. I'll be highly miffed to discover that juggling means only one chainsaw and not three as i would hope. If you follow my manipulation of your analogy. As in this, psychic ability may easily be demonstrated as a one chainsaw job, if you see what i mean.

Anyway, here's a blast from the past. The original and best psychic website.

Mind Reader!

Cool link, but it doesn't work

^ i fear you've already spoiled it with mention of maths technobob, it's a gem to the uninitiated.

Scotland does of course have a fairly famous historical psychic, the Brahan Seer. Thought to be one man, by some, thought by others to be a composite of at least three, and in another version, a tradition that extends to the current time, with the current holder of the title alledgedly using his talents to predict which women he will bed of an evening. :wink: Handy eh?

But seriously, this is a major part of Celtic history. Ever heard of the legend of Eagle Rock? I read of it many years ago. A large boulder on the West Coast, which prophesied to roll over three times down the mountain side, at which time a great cataclysm will occur in which most of the Highlands will be submerged. The rock has rolled twice in the subsequent passage of time, and one legend has it to be that it is now chained and concreted to the hillside.

Brahan seer on zetnet!

More Brahan Seer, dedicated site.

and and from the BBC, even more

Cool link, but it doesn't work

I'm pretty sure it does, but i'm not going to explain why until anyone intereted has had a chance to try it themselves. :wink:

Note, the last time this site was widely publicised on the web, the owner shut it down as it was bombarded with viewers. Since then it gained it's own site and three variations of the "mystery".

Take Derren Brown for example. Here is someone who clearly demonstrates the ability to do cold-readings, hypnosis, superb feats of memorisation, all sorts. He's a talented guy with lots of tricks up his sleeve. He is doing exactly what these psychics do and explains what he is doing as he goes along. No need to pretend to have psychic abilities - it's all psychological trickery. Very impressive, and all of it demonstrable; none of it paranormal.

Very good example - although I disagree that he explains everything!

Very good example - although I disagree that he explains everything!

Well true... but he could if he wanted. At no point does he pretend or believe that he has 'paranormal' powers.

I liked this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DB5crSsrA

Of course, you have to trust that Simon Pegg (an actor) isn't in on it; he seems genuine, but that's his job I guess ;)

If you want to get analogous about it, there's juggling and there's juggling. It's not just a case of you can or you can't. I'll be highly miffed to discover that juggling means only one chainsaw and not three as i would hope. If you follow my manipulation of your analogy. As in this, psychic ability may easily be demonstrated as a one chainsaw job, if you see what i mean.

I'm not sure I do. If juggling three chainsaws is analogous to speaking to the dead, then what is the equivalent of juggling one chainsaw ? Talking to the seriously ill ?

I'm not sure I do. If juggling three chainsaws is analogous to speaking to the dead, then what is the equivalent of juggling one chainsaw ? Talking to the seriously ill ?

You may be joking there Ink, but you are closer to the reality of the situation than you perhaps realise. Even if all "psychics" were/are fraudulent, but had a talent for helping people make life decisions they were unable to make themselves, or just to give them hope of a positive future, then they are providing a valid service. Whether you like the label or not. The most ancient forms of divination do not claim to predict the future but to assist in the present. And talking to the dead is a different thing entirely.

Anyway, i would presume from your strength of feeling about this subject that you must have an interest in it, otherwise your fervour would be enlikened to going to a football match to shout "football is rubbish! What you are doing is pointless" etc., all the way through the match. No?

Even if all "psychics" were/are fraudulent, but had a talent for helping people make life decisions they were unable to make themselves, or just to give them hope of a positive future, then they are providing a valid service.

The problem occurs when such 'psychics' are (despite their good intentions perhaps) providing bad advice, faulty information and possibly charging a fortune for it. There are plenty of honest, well-trained, qualified and often free counsellors who do the things you mention, without recourse to hand-waving and incense burning. Not only are charlatans pointless and redundant, they're providing amateur, misleading advice without the benefit of any training, regulation or verification. They can say what they please regardless of the deep psychological damage they may cause; whether they mean to or not.

There are good reasons why you cannot set yourself up to practice as a psychologist without having first obtained proper training and certification.

Anyway, i would presume from your strength of feeling about this subject that you must have an interest in it, otherwise your fervour would be enlikened to going to a football match to shout "football is rubbish! What you are doing is pointless" etc., all the way through the match. No?

No. Firstly, this forum isn't dedicated to the paranormal in the way a football match is dedicated to football. Secondly, it's not that I think an interest in the paranormal is pointless in the same way as trainspotting is pointless, in that trains exist, but I can't see the point in writing down their numbers; I just think the existence of the paranormal should be established before anything else.