• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Climate Change & Global Warming

• Please log in to reply
2242 replies to this topic

Poll: How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things? (240 member(s) have cast votes)

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

1. Give me a break, I've enough on my plate (17 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

2. I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out (3 votes [1.19%])

Percentage of vote: 1.19%

3. Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit. (78 votes [30.83%])

Percentage of vote: 30.83%

4. If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that. (33 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

5. I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out (105 votes [41.50%])

Percentage of vote: 41.50%

6. I don't know what to think (17 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2236 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2232 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

The thing that puzzles me is that nobody is talking about oxygen..  Remeber oxygen ?  It's the stuff we all breath.

Everything we burn uses Oxygen, jet engines, motor cars, fossil fuels (even the humble peat), heating oil etc. and, it's not an endless supply.  Consumption is, mostly, a 1 way street and we can't get it back easily because it forms strong chemical bonds.

Just about every living creature on the planet depends on it.

Big question is;

are we all going to drown, or gasp and choke our way to death through oxygen depletion  ?

#2237 John Allan

John Allan

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

I'm not sure if you read the complete article. Photosynthesis, creating a greener environment highlights an increase in carbon dioxide. 

Look on the bright side a warmer earth will mean a greener earth . The deserts could bloom again 

#2238 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

Something I find quite frustrating is that Just 100 companies responsible for 71% of greenhouse gas emissions but the responsibility often feels like it is being placed on us as individuals to 'do our bit'

Whilst we all can switch off lights, eat less meat, use the bus and insulate our houses, it seems a little futile unless these international corporations significantly alter their practices.

And yes, we can lobby them and refuse to use their products, but a wholesale change to the neo-liberal profit-before-all-else philosophy is required.

#2239 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Whilst we all can switch off lights, eat less meat, use the bus and insulate our houses, it seems a little futile unless these international corporations significantly alter their practices.

It suggest that mankind is both too lazy, and too greedy to deal with the problemthat are inflicted upon us. Mankind accepts the stories that he's fed because he can't be bothered finding out the truth, while the greedy businessman will feed uanything he believewill be profitable for him regardless of whether it poisons or pollutes.

Wind Power

Solar Power

Tidal Power

Neither wind, solar or tidal power are perfect but they pollute us a huge amount less than the hydro.

Edited by George., 13 October 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#2240 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

Can somebody explain whit da predictions ir for da Shetland climate as da earth heats up?

#2241 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:31 AM

If, or when, we get further and further out of the last ice age then two things are suggested will happen. Firstly, our climate will change so it will get a bit warmer. Secondly, coastal problems and tide levels will alter as well. When the tide goes out, it is claimed that it will go out further and when the tide comes back in a lot of people will wish they hadn't built their house so close to the beach.

http://www.landforms...evel change.htm

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#2242 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, but I wis meaning for predictions specific tae Shetland - will it get weeter, is da gulf stream liklee tae shift etc etc. I'm comin fae a position of ignorance ;-)

#2243 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

^Cheers, but the North Atlantic Drift is predicted to alter. That and the fact that it's also predicted to get warmer will make a big difference in Shetland. The changes in tide will be great for some, but not for others, and the same is probably true regarding everything else. Regardless, the change in the North Atlantic Drift may also kill the fish, it may well make the currents at sea pretty tragic, there are many destructive changes here in Shetland that are very possible - but because it's going to get warmer, we won't die of the cold ;)