Scottish Pubs

JAStewart

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd heard (from an Aberdeen cabbie) that it's closed for good. Liscence lost and pressure from the police. It might be changing hands or something.

Its no wonder the Police put pressure on them, when I was in last year the dogs against drugs would have had a field day the place was full of the stuff. Did you ken dat a lass fae Cunningsburgh worked there! bet she kept dat quiet.

At least the Criterion is still open!!!!!

Fantastic find in Palnackie, near Dalbeattie - The Glenisle Inn. Reminiscent of Edinburgh's Canny Man. Stuffed wi everything weird and wonderful. And if you a homesick Shetlander this is definately the place for you - the Fetlar restaurant has the Shetland map on the ceiling, all the tables are named after Shetland places and finish off your meal wi some Shetland fudge and coffee. Fab food and excellent service. Just go...... :D

Guest Anonymous
Ok so keeping up with the drinking i like the Fishermans in Broughty Ferry and the Three Judges on Glasgows Dumbarton Road.....Kelvinhall on the Clockwork Orange.

The Fish! Gotta love that place - my mate lives in the ferry and my word, some of the ales they serve on tap. Knock you out cold. Interesting set up in there with the whole 2 halfs kinda thing.

Maybe i'm a pretentious twatt but is "Chimmy Chunga's' Mexican theme bar on Great Western Road in Glesga' still there? I loved that place. best lay out of a bar ever. And the near life size cartoon coach and horses flying across the roof was a touch of class.

It was changed to 'Bar Oz' around 6 yr ago i believe. It's was changed to something else about 2 yr ago. Still the same layout though. I agree, its a great pub

I've always liked The Prince of Wales in Aberdeen. It always has some interesting ales and usually good food. Also plenty of places to sit but it does get a bit reeky. Anyone know what the deal is with the smoking ban? i think thats a good thing. Even when I was smoking I'd have thought that. It seemed to work really well in Ireland so surely it can work in Scotland without ruining the pub scene.

It seemed to work really well in Ireland so surely it can work in Scotland without ruining the pub scene.

I've heard that Irish pubs smell of old mens arses and armpits now. I think I would prefer fag reek

Cheezuz! That sounds terrible. Never thought of that but it must be a real problem. I'm going to start up a buisiness supplying pubs with anti bum and oxter spray( ozone friendly) :P

Guest Anonymous

The Grapes is a great pub up the Paisley Road, a few hundred yards from Ibrox. I woudl strongly recommend it to Celtic fans travelling down from Shetland for an Old Firm game.

:lol:

The Grapes is a great pub up the Paisley Road, a few hundred yards from Ibrox. I woudl strongly recommend it to Celtic fans travelling down from Shetland for an Old Firm game.

:lol:

A mate of mine lives above The Grapes (or is it The Doctors accross the road?). I lived in Ibrox for a couple of years (not the stadium!) and it wasn't much fun round there on a match day. People p***ing through the letterbox, fighting and shouting racist/sectarian songs all day. Completely put me off football :?

Guest Anonymous

To be honest PeerieBryan, I would totally have to agree with you. I have been in the Grapes a few times, and - despite the fact that I am a Rangers fan - I was out of my wits!

A lot of nutters and mindless bigots around there.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always liked The Prince of Wales in Aberdeen. It always has some interesting ales and usually good food. Also plenty of places to sit but it does get a bit reeky.

I was in there the other day, great food, friendly bar staff as always, it's hard to beleive it's in Aberdoom really!:wink: And the thing i really noticed was the number of people buying soft drinks to have with lunch, In Aberdeen,in Scotland! Brilliant, very refreshing, just like the pints!

Anyone know what the deal is with the smoking ban? i think thats a good thing. Even when I was smoking I'd have thought that. It seemed to work really well in Ireland so surely it can work in Scotland without ruining the pub scene.

I was listening to a discussion of what's happened in Ireland earlier today and it would seem that the ban has spawned a whole new social scene referred to as "smirting" (smoking+flirting) which is a privilledge of those 'outside'. :( Think i'll have to start smoking again, or buy a lighter and stand outside anyway :wink: Some pubs in Ireland are even providing 'survival jackets' to keep the smoking punters warm!