Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Ok so a music and cinema might well be an asset for those within reach of Lerwick.....doubt it would get built anywhere else. But a cost of 9.1m?. Compare the new museum with for example Somerfields. Do we want or can we pay for a building full of architects fancy add ons or do we want a functional building that fulfills its role well without costing so much.

My own thoughts are that the project should go ahead but using the latest technology so that running costs are kept down. Solar panels and heat pumps for example.

Of course the 5% cut SIC needs to make on the 2006/7 spending plans might just mean no cinema anyway.

I thought it was the Co-op getting extended but still. Point is that a building can be designed to be fit for purpose without spending vast sums of money making it some strange architectural monument. Take the Scottish Parliament costing £400m+ while the Welsh Assembly building cost £67M.

Perhaps a story from the other end of the scale will show what I am getting at. A major charity was having a building "improved" to make life better for the staff and clients. Plans were drawn up, contracts exchanged and the "improvements" started. Up steps the architect. Dont like this, dont like that. Me wondering why he had incorporated things he subsequently did not like into the plans. And the onsite workforce wondering if it was better just to play cards all day as the architect would change things the next morning.

The outcome was that the money ran out.....so many changes having been made and so many payment claims made by the contractors for extra works changing what was already done that the project exceeded budget with many things not finished and the charity having to make the best it could of an unfinished job.

So to relate this to the Shetland cinema/music venue project I am worried that the SIC will choose some fancy building design from an architect who is at least as interested in the exterior of the building looking good in his or her portfolio rather than a design that is going to give us a venue that is fit for purpose and by design will have low running costs.

• 2 weeks later...

"Former cinema plans get approval

The disused Roxy Cinema building in Kelso is to be turned into a restaurant and function suite.

Members of Cheviot area committee endorsed plans for the change of use for the building, which last screened films some two years ago.

Local councillor Alasdair Hutton said there was still a possibility of films being screened there in the future.

He was satisfied that fears from nearby residents about the nightclub element of the plans had also been addressed.

"It looks as though there will be a use for the Roxy - sadly not immediately as a cinema again," said Mr Hutton."

Coppied from the BBC Scotland this morning. Is a cinema such a good idea?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

well guys heres your chance to make your voice count iv just spotted an event comming up on the 15th March

it says:

SHETLAND BUSINESS RATEPAYERS

SHETLAND LICENSED TRADE ASSOCIATIONS

SHETLAND COMUNITY HALL ASSOSIATIONS

GENUINLEY CONSERNED MEMBERS OF THE SHETLAND PUBLIC

MEETING IN THE GARRISON THEATRE 15 MARCH AT 1900 HRS

TO LAUNCH AN OFFICIAL OBJECTION TO THE BUILDING OF THE PROPOSED MUSIC& CINEMA VENUE, WHICH WE FEEL FOR VARIOUS REASONS THE SHETLAND ECONOMY SIMPLY CANT AFORD......

........ ARE YOU THE SHETLAND SILENT MAJORITY?

IF SO COME ALONG TO THIS MEETING

IT MAY BE YOUR LAST CHACE TO STOP THIS NONSENSE

unfortunaly its on a night i cant get but hope as many of us in here that dont want it go and show the groups oposition to this cause

Where did you see that Sam? I can't be there either, but I would if I could.

According to the poll at the beginning of this thread, it's 11:1 against the cinema

P.S. You should join up to Shetlink Sam. You get shashing orangy bits (was that a Jaffacake advert) telling you which posts you haven't read yet. Very handy :wink:

ROFL

Huh :?:

Maybe my wording wasn't right. 11:1 against a purpode built venue. Is that what you mean?

Sorry peeriebryan, I am not for spending that amount of money on a cinema/music venue, but I don't think we can use 12 or 13 votes, (by mostly like minded people from what I've seen), on this forum as a serious case against it. :?

"Rolls on Floor Lauging"

Though the vote is 11:1 this is out of 105 people that have actually signed up here!

If you think about it - this is how percentages are calculated and how actual legislation actually gets made!

Welcome to democracy!!