Going to Paris

McFly

Cheers pb.

I'm back noo.

We had a great weekend. An absolutely fascinating city.

I really expected London style crowds and bustle, but what we got was very laid back strolling and graceful streets and buildings.

We managed to see the Eiffel tower (from below, bloody big and with really cool searchlights on top), The Louvre (grand, way too many, frankly dull paintings), The National Museum of Modern Art at the Pompidou Centre (much better than the Louvre, a managable size and more challenging material).

But the best bits all involved just wandering about, stopping at the odd cafe/bar or creperie. We particularly liked the area around St Michel in the Latin Quarter.

• 4 months later...

I was in Paris this time last year - loved it. It's a bit late now, but if you get the chance to go again def check out Montmartre (http://web.syr.edu/~amweber/MONTMARTRE/montmartre.html) - it's about as "arty" as you can get, but really laid back.

If that's not your scene then there's always the the rather macabre Catacombs ( a vast under ground maze of human remains, exhumed from Old Paris's overcrowded graveyards in the 18th century - pictured below).

As someone already said, it is expensive there. Pints are the equiv of about £3.50 and the food ain't cheap either, as the folk below will testify...sorry.

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/pix/catacombs.jpg