Should the police be routinely armed?

Should the police should be routinely armed?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should the police should be routinely armed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Absolutely not!

Fotunately, very few criminals in this country carry fire arms. I don't see any reason why the establishment should be the first to up the ante.

And besides that, our good old bobbies seem to be able to make plenty of mistakes as it is (Charles de Menezes, Harry Stanley). God knows what it would be like if they all carried guns.

They should only be allowed to bear arms if everyone has the right to bear arms, hypothetically.

I once saw a profound bumper sticker on a red-neck pickup with gun lockers mounted along the sides in the US:

"A person with a gun is a citizen. A person without a gun is a subject."

Food for thought indeed. Best off if nobody has any guns really, then we can convince ourselves that we are not 'subjects' but on a more ethical and political level.

Just to side-track slightly, it's been noted that incidence of guns being used in crime has increased since the handgun ban. And the guys selling the illegal guns will be getting richer and more powerful everyday.

we are subjects. the absence of any british constitution means we are but the queen's little play things, as soon as one is not amused, could be rounded up to gather her up a bunch of swans...

but no, don't arm the police. or if you do, arm them with rubber chickens, it'll be good for their PR.

but no, don't arm the police. or if you do, arm them with rubber chickens, it'll be good for their PR.

Or Andrex puppies!

Could any one bear the thought of committing a crime and getting their conscience tugged by a cutesy wootsy puppy-wuppy.

What was that feature Hammond did on Top Gear, would you choose between a labrador puppy or a TVR and EVERYBODY chose the puppy! Madness!

Law enforcement: Stop crime or the puppy gets it! :twisted:

Andrex Puppies?. Yes that sounds good. As for arming the police I think that armed response units and the Taser are enough for the moment. More armed police = more armed robbers which = more innocent people getting shot. And please do not let them arm the drugs dogs.

The police should not be armed in any way beyond armed response units. You are totally uping the ante if you do!

Just check out America and mainland Europe for examples. Having armed police in no way lowers violent crime rates - and might just infact increase the likelyhood of criminals carrying weapons themselves.

Lets see if we can find some evidence to support this somewhere *roots around on Internet*

• 2 weeks later...

When gun crime is on the increase people say give the police guns but knife crime is far more common and increasing but nobody sugests giving the police knives. Give the police knives and they can sort out crimminals with a quick game of knify they do wear armour so they would have the advantage over the hapless crim.

You could have tellivised knife fights like they do in the US with car chases!

• 4 months later...

Sorry, even as a joke, I can't believe how stupid that last two comments were. I know they were posted some time ago, but I have only recently joined the forum and have been perusing at my leisure.

Why is there always an attitude of attacking the Police? When your house gets tanned (as mine was) and your wife and bairns are crying and don't want to go home because some radge took a dump in the living room as an additional way of saying "F*** you!", as well as takingh just about anything of worth in your home (some of which can NEVER be replaced!) who will you call? It won't be Ghostbusters, that's for sure. When your daughter gets slapped about in a pub, or worse, who do you call on? When your car gets vandalised, who do you call on? The same people you would be so happy to see being knifed in the street.

As a person of retiral age, I can tell you in my younger days that once upon a time I would rather and sorted out my problems myself. But having experienced crime at the sharp end, I am grateful for all they do, without so much as the slightest bit of thanks or gratitude from the majority of the folk they serve.

You don't like what they do or how they act, join the Police and change it from within, all you big, clever thinkers out there. Walk the walk. I don't like the service I get in Somerfield sometimes, that doesn't mean I think that every shop worker is an ass and want them to beat one another to death with cans of beans on television.

And I have made some good friends who are - or were - Police, and they all say they don't want armed. In fact, they say the day they arm all Police, thousands will pack it in, and I believe they could be right, supposing )God forbid) that day ever comes.

Anyway, gets my goat the way people always attack them, becauase it's "cool" to do so. You're like bairns in the playground, blathering on about the teachers. Grow up. I know some can be self important, but at the end of the day they go home to families, etc, just like you and me.

If they ever went on strike, you'd be bloody well screaming for them then.