Fetlar De-population

BigMouth

Depopulation is going to happen when the inhabitants are not content with their lot. Whether it is outlying Islands around Shetland (Fetlar, Skerries, Foula etc) or the main Island itself.

The SIC throwing money at it, with Island based ferries and crews just delays the inevitable. When all the money is gone, what happens next.......? Who pays the ferry crew then?

It is sad, but you only have to look at South Havra, Oxna, St Kilda etc to see that once the living conditions became too tough it was all over.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see migration towards Lerwick continue, as the next natural jump will be for every mainland dweller to migrate to Scotland.

The only way in my opinion to stop migration is for the people who live on their Islands to make their condition suitable for their needs, without excessive or unsustainable financial suport. I know it is difficult for businesses to be set up with limited employment options or logistical links with regular ferry services, but I do not see any other way forward.

I guess if we had the current SIC round about 100 years ago we would have ferries, schools on many now uninhabited Islands around Shetland? Do we have any support for that?

Maybe it could be a party political manitesto item for all the prospective Burra councillors.

Repopulate South Havra, Oxna and Papa.......................!

Come on Bobby Hunter - give it beans, you know you want to?

Fetlar relied significantly on agriculture for income, bit by bit Europe, Westminster and Edinburgh have chipped away at Shetland agriculture until only a handful of the biggest enterprises can make a living, everyone else involved in agriculture has been forced by a variety of finiancial carrots to become grossly underpaid glorified nature wardens and town farm operators. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I just noticed that the SIC's housing department have started to advertise some of their empty properties that are available for rent, an excellent idea imho. One of the properties is on Fetlar and I thought that it might just suit me.

Then I started looking into the realities of the situation, the trip to Lerwick until the contract ends and then what to do after that. Sadly too much uncertainty.

The fact that I never stuck at a trade means that I have little to offer the islands other than my good looks :wink: It's a shame because I didn't come here to live on a Lerwick council housing estate. I am not whinging by the way.

I've read the article BM, it's quite interesting :P

Fetlar's population decline was also featured on the STV news tonight, though it must have been filler as i can't see the story featured on their website.

ps , you'd like Fetlar BM, great place for the outdoor type. Perhaps you could build a distillery or something, they seem to be popular at the moment.