Shetlink Problems

Just had an ad with music playing. Its for what appears to be a game called FrontierVille on Facebook.

The address you get sent to when you click on it is : http://www.facebook.com/connect/uiserver.php?app_id=201278444497&next=http://apps.facebook.com/frontierville/tracks.php%3Fsrc%3Dads%26aff%3D31%26crt%3D20100707_tier1_2271%26newInstall%3D1&display=page&locale=en_GB&perms&return_session=0&fbconnect=0&canvas=1&legacy_return=1&method=permissions.request

If you right click then it gives you the option to watch on YouTube, and the address for this is :

Again if you right click then you can also get a copy of the 'embed html' which is :

It also seems to depend where abouts on the ad you click, but there is two different menus that appear with right clicking.

Don't know if any of this means anything to you, but it might help...

:?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't click on any advert . I was just browsing when the music started !

I was just browsing aswell. I only got the details of it so i could pass it on...

If you could identify the ad specifically, ie not just a name but the code for the ad itself or the click through address then we may be able to block it. Not promising mind, but there is a chance.

:wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that their PC slows right down when the Sky TV flash adds come on?

My comp fan is doing overtime and the site was hanging for ages when I tried to go from the Classifeds to the Home page.

Hoping it is not my computer thats going paps up.

Edit, same thing happening with the Microsoft Office flash adds.

Of course, when blocking the adverts you are making sure to make a paypal donation instead? Remember, folks, that Shetlink doesn't have the advertising because we think it looks pretty.

I understand that the adverts are probably what keeps this site going, but when they bog down a users computer to the stage where the site dosen't function properly, it might be time to start limiting how many flash adverts are on each page at one time.

I had 3 of the Sky TV adds on the page at the same time and my computer just froze up for about a minute until I closed down my web browser to escape their evil clutches.

It might be a problem at my end if nobody else is having problems with them.

I understand that the adverts are probably what keeps this site going, but when they bog down a users computer to the stage where the site dosen't function properly, it might be time to start limiting how many flash adverts are on each page at one time.

They certainly shouldn't be impacting your Shetlink 'experience' so much, but you're right; they can be a resource hog on some PCs. Worth making sure that you have the latest versions of your drivers, browser, flash plugins, etc. You could also sweep your machine for unwanted processes that might be running in the background and consuming resources.

Of course, when blocking the adverts you are making sure to make a paypal donation instead? Remember, folks, that Shetlink doesn't have the advertising because we think it looks pretty.

I had 3 of the Sky TV adds on the page at the same time and my computer just froze up for about a minute until I closed down my web browser to escape their evil clutches.

It might be a problem at my end if nobody else is having problems with them.

This what I griped about originally, It has just done it again! Grrrrr

Guest CyprusPluto

I think Shetlink is a fantastic site for people chatting online, finding out information, for people wanting or selling things. It's very well laid out and easy to use.

The adverts can slow your computer down ever so slightly, but come on, credit where credit is due, the people running this site should be thanked.

I'm not complaining, so don't get me wrong mods......

But I've found that if I open Shetlink it's best to read what I want very quickly then close the link as quick as possible. If I do that, returning often for short visits, I have no problem. But leave the link sitting open for any time and I begin to have problems.

I run top grade security which napalm would have trouble getting through. I don't normally allow pop-ups and adverts, but I allow adverts from Shetlink, purely out of local interest.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I think leaving Shetlink, or any link open in your browser may be a bad idea these days. Just open the links from your favourites when you want to browse them. Doing that I can enjoy the site, and nearly enjoy the adverts, without any problems...

:D