• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Njord | Market - Classifieds

Thank you for your continued patience. Shetlink is happy to announce the launch of Njord | Market as an upgraded and focused software development for the Shetland community.

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

100 Shetland Authors @ Shetlopedia!?!

shetlopedia

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ex-isle

ex-isle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

... and all residents/natives. Can this be true?

How many do you recognise?
How many have you read?
And who's missing?

http://shetlopedia.c...hetland_Authors

#2 DePooperit

DePooperit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Is it common nowadays to list things under first names?

#3 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

I suppose it's a bit like the way that the internet has promoted the use of lower case letters in the start of words/names which should have upper case.
In this instance, use of first names first, stems from the way the pages on Shetlopedia are set up.
I have already thought about it and was considering adding a category listing in alphabetical order by surname. Just haven't got around to it yet. I've been too busy reading the information which Ex-Isle has provided. :)

I may be wrong, but, it's looking like the most comprehensive listing of Shetland authors, to date, on the web.
Well done Ex-Isle :)

Cheers,
Robbie
Shetlopedia.com

#4 ex-isle

ex-isle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

It's the Icelandic phonebook principle - you just can't trust surnames

#5 islandhopper

islandhopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

For a few moments I had similar thoughts when I saw the list ... and well, it is probably not common and might be unsuitable for the Encyclopaedia Britannica or the Wikipedia.

... but it isn't the Britannica, it is Shetlopedia, something about "what's happening in your neighbourhood" and the 100+ are or might have been neighbours ...

The way I understood the idea of Shetlopedia is that it is first of all something "from Shetlanders for Shetlanders" and with regard to some particular items something "from Shetlanders and None-Shetlanders for Shetlanders and others interested in Shetland".

And when you are looking from abroad - as I do - or in case you are not half way familiar with the Shetland cosmographia it is totally out of interest whether you look for "Haldane Burgess" or "Burgess, Haldane" when you have now idea about the work linked with the name ... but I am - personally spoken - quite happy to find the folks I have met under their proper name like "Lise Sinclair" and not bureaucratically refered to as "Sinclair (stop) Lise" ... or "Wills, Jonathan, Dr" ...

The same is with the "principle" of locally known names, spellings, akas etc first. "Vagaland" I know ... thinking a bit about his proper name I wood end up with "Robertson", using the search box for "Robertson" someone might have some probs to find the right "Robertson, XWY".

Within a different context we discussed the problem of Shetland "identity". Putting all and everything to global standards is somehow giving up identity whether it regards to Shetland or not.

#6 Lola Boomboom

Lola Boomboom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Missing author... Unst poet Mackenzie Cash (Peter Mackenzie Ritch) for more info contact gianpaolodante@hotmail.com

#7 DePooperit

DePooperit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

J.W. Leask seems to be missing.

#8 Medziotojas

Medziotojas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1716 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

Have read at one time or another:

Bobby Tulloch
Dr Jonathon Wills
Frank Walterson
James W. Irvine
Joseph Gray
Rhoda Bulter
Smirk
Vagaland

...and most of the journalists and poets who submit regular articles to Shetland publications.

Couple more missing:

George Leith - A Lerwick Lifeboatman's Story

Wendy Gear - John Walker's Shetland (C'mon Peter, whaur is du?) :wink:

#9 da Trookir

da Trookir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Whaar is Mortimer Manson? Or Thomas Manson?

An whit's MacDiarmid doin dere? :evil:

#10 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

He spent 9 years on Whalsay, which inspired some of his poems see

http://shetlopedia.com/Hugh_MacDiarmid

for more details

#11 da Trookir

da Trookir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

for more details

I read dat. Aald burger hed naethin good ta say aboot Shetland, though

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

for more details

Weel said Joannie :D Dir's aye een dat canna budder ta read da first line o da article. :lol:

#13 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

Half da folk on here hae little guid ta sae aboot da Isle... Whit's new :D

#14 da Trookir

da Trookir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Half da folk on here hae little guid ta sae aboot da Isle... Whit's new :D

Ya, laeklie dat ... :lol:

#15 ex-isle

ex-isle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

for more details

Decision was to include anybody who'd spent a substantial period of time living in Shetland. And not to pass judgement ... :)

Btw, does anybody know anything about this crime writer who is supposed to have lived on da Fair Isle:

www.anncleeves.com/shetland.html

#16 Malachy

Malachy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Btw, does anybody know anything about this crime writer who is supposed to have lived on da Fair Isle:

She didn't live here, she worked at the bird observatory for one summer, maybe two. She spends a lot of time in Shetland but I don't think that counts.

#17 ex-isle

ex-isle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

She didn't live here, she worked at the bird observatory for one summer, maybe two. She spends a lot of time in Shetland but I don't think that counts.

I see ... and are the books any good?

#18 Pooks

Pooks

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2603 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

I have read Raven Black. It was alright I suppose, I wouldn't read it twice though. It amused me to see that she used some Shetland words from the outset which I thought wouldn't really appeal to a wider audience.

Also she had Ravens on the brain. Everything seemed to be named after a Raven. There was even an auld man that kept ravens in a cage.

Lots of references to Shetland though, perhaps a few too many. The high school, Up Helly Aa, etc etc etc...

#19 islandhopper

islandhopper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

... Lots of references to Shetland though, perhaps a few too many. The high school, Up Helly Aa, etc etc etc...

Agreed ... with two little adds:

i) I read (for a planned critics section on our website) a lot of more recent novels about Scotland or with the plot set to a Scottish background. Compared with many of those the overall view she presents is by far more - how do you say - harmonizing ??? or coherent ??? Probably not for Shetlanders or the people of Fair Isle in particular but for all who are not so familiar with Shetland details. If you read only "the island" or "the islands" much of the background information does make a sence to highlight different aspects of island life.

ii) It is quite obvious that the interpreter who translated the novel into German (Die Nacht der Raben = The Night of the Ravens) could not deal with all references and details - and so some are left out without doing any harm to the story ... ;-)

#20 ex-isle

ex-isle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

Interesting - will take a look, then. I guess her situation isn't that dissimilar to Sheenagh Pugh's, then, who someone added to the list? So should Cleeves also be added, or Pugh removed? And is another category required for 'Books aboot Shaetlan bie fokk'at pass trowe', then? :|

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shetlopedia