Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

• 2 weeks later...

hello, I'm kinda interested in this still (I posted about gaming in Shetland a while back). It's looks like I'm coming as my bro is buying my house and his is on the market...

It's funny that you watch your speed, I only check my connection to the exchange, which is normally 7616/448, ie the whole 8Mb deal, I never check the speed lol.

As I will lose my emails and everything else when I move, and as Pipex is now part of Tiscali or something, I'm gonna ditch them and go with PlusNet, they have a gaming package :D

I have also been staring many hours at Sam Knows http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php it tells me what exchanges are activated at what speed and even coverage for those exchanges, which is a little rudimentary but gives me some idea at least. The thought of no broadband... well...

Can anyone have a look and confirm if it's correct?

Thx muchly :)

• 1 month later...

Is the internet particularly slow tonight? Everything seems to be particularly sluggish. I've been trying to download the latest Torchwood from the beeb iplayer, it's been running for over an hour and is still showing as "Connecting...". It's the only thing I'm trying to download. Anyone else noticing anything?

Though i can't speak highly enough of the iPlayer in general, i have had repeated experiences when streaming content from it that it either hangs or takes an age to re-buffer. Seems a bit hit or a miss, but on personal experience it always seems to work best fresh, if it ain't co-operating i've resolved to give up for that session. I guess it depends to some extent on usage.

BB seems fine to me tonight.

Though i can't speak highly enough of the iPlayer in general...

Are you on a Mac? (Does it even work on a Mac?) I have found that it works fine once it's up and running but it has increased my PC's boot time from 30 seconds or so to a couple of minutes. Disabling Kservice using msconfig stops this but it means a reboot if I then want to use the player.

Are you on a Mac? (Does it even work on a Mac?) .

Of course it works on a Mac, the Beeb use Macs :D

But, erm, they haven't provided the standalone yet, erm, cos they are really busy and, .....erm yeah, some pc geek gave them the standalone PC version, yeah that's it, that what i heard

Anyway, like Pooks said, the Flash, he stream good, ja. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand the figures. I have a cable connection. Is this good or bad? Can someone please tell me what it all means in layman's terms.

Divide by 8 to get kilobytes per second then divide by 1000 to get megabytes per second. For reference An average sized mp3 is about 4-6 megabytes. (although to confuse the issue even more you should; strictly speaking, divide by 1024)

http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/units-converter/data-transfer/

I'm able to get 700-800 kilobytes per second download at home in Aberdeen on Virgin and I've had 9 megabytes per second at work on the speedy Janet education network.

In addition to what Pooks said it may depend on the time of day. Some ISPs will throttle back your connection at peak times, Virgin was between 4pm and midnight which made even surfing webpages a chore.

• 1 month later...

No idea how to test the speed of my connection BUT when I was setting it up with Virgin, the tech on the end of the phone told me not to bother ordering anything more than their 1MB service as he had run a test on my line and the best I could ever hope to get was 500k !!!!

Then again, I am up the north end of the island and was told that due to the condition of the line and distance from the main exchange, 500k was the best I could hope for - whereabouts are you, Colin?

Lucky old you..........I have 246k and it has been lower. I am sure that when I had 2meg broadband I got almost 2meg most of the time but now I have "upgraded" to 8meg I can get up to 7.5meg during the day which is great but painfully slow connections at night.

Did see an explanation for this from a highly rated service provider....perhaps Plus-net.........and it is all down to issues like contention and priorities for certain types of traffic.

Guest Anonymous

Not sure I understand the results, but this could be one up for Norway. The test I just ran shows 1.51 megabits/sec, and I think our connection is only a 2Mb.

:D

whereabouts are you, Colin?

Scalloway.

Thing is that before I upgraded to 8Mb I was getting an average of about 1.8Mb on a 2Mb connection.

Just checked again and it's now up to just over 3Mb. I'm paying for 'up to' 8Mb and, if the best they can offer is 3Mb then, they can stuff it.

Probably got a bit to do with contention (no of users etc.) but, as I'm only about 100 yards from the exchange, I expect better.

Most likely need to get the gain on my line turned up a bit.

Looks like Tiscali are going to get a phone call shortly..