• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Njugle

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 trout

trout

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6439 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

Anybody got some good stories about Njugles? - This'll be wan fur dee Njugle!

Theres certainly many a place named after the Njugle - Njugleswater above Scalloway being the prime example.

#2 reesie

reesie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Whar aboots is dat? :oops:

#3 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Whar aboots is dat? :oops:

8O :o

An i towt do wis a scallawa lass!

#4 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

:wink:

It's in da hills atween the scord and the windmills, it's where scallowa's own (much tastier) water used to come from. :D

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

Oh, I see. I didna ken dat wis classed as Scallowa. I hope my mother doesn't read this! :oops:

#6 reesie

reesie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Forgot ta log on an aa. I'll get my coat. :oops:

So, whin did da water come fae dere. Might explain a few things! :lol:

#7 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

Must have been in the early/mid-eighties when they forced Lerrook water upon the poor Scallawegians. I'm too young to remember :roll: :oops: honest.

But also, there was an outlet from that pipe that supplied the now gone and forgotten trout hatchery that used to be sited on the Scord corner. It was closed before my time, but we used to take the occasional pilgrimage to the derelict building on our pushbikes, before trying to hit 40mph on the scord brae! (my speedo said i did, but there was no official race timer available) :wink:

ps if you ran a bath o' the Njugle's (aka Nyuggel's) Water it left a layer of brown peaty sediment at the bottom by the time the bath was full! Much better than aa yun chlorine-y sh*te tho' :wink:

#8 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

Anywye, Njugles! The legendary mythical Shetlandic manifestation of the water horse. Said to lure weary travellers to climb onto it's back before plunging them into the icy depths of a loch to their certain doom................. Nice (in a Fast Show jazz stylee)

The only mention of them specifically in literature that i can glean is in perhaps Marwick's book. So thanks :roll: to you trout am goin tae have tae geen an read it noo, aman i :?:

#9 trout

trout

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6439 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

hehe

#10 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:06 AM

Bless the mighty Google......he he :P

More about Njugle's :-)

#11 clanchief

clanchief

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

It's in da hills atween the scord and the windmills, it's where scallowa's own (much tastier) water used to come from. :D

Have you ever seen the Worl War 2 underground bunker on the hillside just above the loch. I think there was some sort of bomb store up there.
There is a photo of the bunker in Willie Smiths book aboot Scalloway in the war.

#12 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

Have you ever seen the Worl War 2 underground bunker on the hillside just above the loch. I think there was some sort of bomb store up there.
There is a photo of the bunker in Willie Smiths book aboot Scalloway in the war.

8O You know about zee secret bunker! I cannot mention it here otherwise i'd have to shoot everybody who reads it...............hmm, ah what the hell, the world is overpopulated anyway.

Yeah, seen it, been in it on several occasions. A dream come true for a young bairn in the scalloway area, a genuine secret bunker! It's basically a nissan hut buried underground, if you know it's there it's easy to spot, if you didn't know you'd never spot it in a million years.

I'm led to beleive it was a munitions store but other than that i'm not sure. I can only speculate that it was to serve some sort of purpose if there had been an invasion, as it is pretty remote for day to day usage. If i find out more i'll post it here :wink:

#13 sammy

sammy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

I've heard a story about two crofters who captured a Njuggel and chained it to the murder stone at Tingwall. Suddenly the Njuggel started running round and round the stone, snapping the chain and making good its escape. The marks made by the chain can still be seen on the stone today although in all honesty i'm pretty sure its some geological thing.

#14 littlemissbrightside

littlemissbrightside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

I heard that story too but it wasn't a njugle in tingwall - it was a bear in Fetlar!!! True, I swear!!
That I was told that story I mean, not if it actually was true!

#15 PoolHaddock

PoolHaddock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

I heard that story too but it wasn't a njugle in tingwall - it was a bear in Fetlar!!! True, I swear!!
That I was told that story I mean, not if it actually was true!

Is du no thinkin' aboot the bear on Linga?? My grandad and father always used tae tell me that story when we geed aff in the boat..... I'm sure it was linga as oposed to Fetlar? It's been a long time fae I've heard that een.

(Linga is da peerie island that lies just aff Gutcher in Yell. Pronounced Ling-ee)

I'll ask my father aboot it today, see whit he says. Du might be right aboot it bein' Fetlar, my brain might be playin tricks on me but for some reason in the back o' my heed I thought it wis Linga.

#16 Jonners

Jonners

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

I think you're right Poolhaddock.

Isn't there a circular groove on the ground on Linga that is supposed to have been made by the bear? It was chained to a post - if I remember the story rightly - and all it could do was circle the post. I hope whoever chained the poor bear to this post came to a sorry end - most people did in the olden days.

#17 littlemissbrightside

littlemissbrightside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

You probably are right but I am sure there is a connection to Fetlar somehow...maybe the guy who chained the bear was from Fetlar or perhaps even the person who told me the story was from Fetlar..... who knows!!
  • Swinister likes this

#18 Styles

Styles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

I have heard the bear and Njugle story. Dont think they were ment to be any connection. Exept both stories have chains in them. Now all we need are some whips!

#19 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

Excuse my vanity in resurrecting this thread, but i stumbled upon some interesting stuff.

While looking at an old map of Shetland i noticed an area called Neuglesbreck, aside Burga Water, which introduced a spelling i hadn't come across before, which of course led me onto "Ask-ing" for more info and up cam these two links.

http://www.dsl.ac.uk...ll&query=NEUGLE

and

http://myths.freshca...ne.com/2006/04/
The latter referring to "Scalloway Islands" which is nice. :wink:

For the historians and language boffins here the first link is quite interesting.

I don't know if anyone here has a bearing on the shetlanddictionary.com, but the definitions here may be a worthy addition. Last i looked a Njuggle was simply listed as a "water faerie" which is a little sparse, given my namesake's glorious mythological descriptions :wink:

An animal having the appearance of a horse, of a dark bluish-grey colour. He is amphibious. His favourite retreat is the underhus of a watermill. He . . . is never seen far from water. By feigning tameness and fondness, he induces the weary, belated traveller who may meet him to mount on his back, when, at once, with lightning speed, he makes for the nearest water — with a noise like thunder, his eyes flaming, jets of fire issuing from his mouth and nostrils, and a luminous trail like the tail of a comet stretching out behind him — and plunges in, leaving his deluded rider . . . to his fate. He cannot bear the sight or the smell of fire.

8)

#20 sv

sv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

My friends and I went to the bunker once when I was a teenager early 90's. I remember it was easy enough to spot but I went there this week and had no idea where to look. If anybody can narrow the general area down for me then I would be very very grateful as I would like find it again.