The worst road junction in Shetland

Quarffie

I nominate the Black Gate junction at Gulberwick as the worst road junction there is...

1) It should be a stop line not giveway onto the main road. Numerous times I've had folk just pull out in front of me as I'm going into Lerwick - they are either no judge of speed, or just don't care.

2) Turning off from south to go to Scalloway you're presented with more give-way lines - so if cars are turning off from the north approach you have to wait for them.

That's fine until 2 or more coming from the south approach need to stop - then they spill back onto the main carriageway and obstruct that too..... madness.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nominate the Black Gate junction at Gulberwick as the worst road junction there is...

It is probably the most carefully considered junction in the whole of Shetland, is it not...:? It certainly has more signs and markings than any other that I can think of just now.

I think the issue is more with the long flat straight approach, where there are few "landmarks" to judge the car's distance, and little perspective to help either.

I doubt a stop line would help too much, as most cars that pull out in front of me stop, wait, think about it, and then pull out anyway.......

Best just to assume they will do that and be ready for it....

I think the issue is more with the long flat straight approach, where there are few "landmarks" to judge the car's distance, and little perspective to help either.

I doubt a stop line would help too much, as most cars that pull out in front of me stop, wait, think about it, and then pull out anyway.......

Best just to assume they will do that and be ready for it....

Not sure about there being few "landmarks" to judge distance by... there's the big roadsign, or the white chevron/hash markings on the road.

Incidently, the start of the chevron/hash marking is where I'd reached when somebody pulled out right in front one day.... I needed to take avoidance action - luckily there was nothing coming down from the north approach (and there was much bad language). With the best will in the world you cannot excuse that surely? I was literally 100 feet from the junction.

I would nominate the junction from Ackrigarth onto the South Road. When waiting to join the South Road the sightlines towards Lerwick are now very short, partly due to the growth of plants.

Back in the eighties I used the police records to plot a map of Lerwick traffic accidents. At that time there was only one really obvious black spot evident from the study, namely the bend in Commercial Road between the Home Furnishings and what is now the bus station. I expect things are completely different nowadays.

I would nominate the junction from Ackrigarth onto the South Road. When waiting to join the South Road the sightlines towards Lerwick are now very short, partly due to the growth of plants.

I did notice that the plants have been cut down now at this junction.

This junction should be used less once the new roundabout at Oversund Road is finished.

It will be easier to join South Road at the roundabout rather than the T-Junction at Ackrigarth.

Not sure about there being few "landmarks" to judge distance by... there's the big roadsign, or the white chevron/hash markings on the road.

Incidently, the start of the chevron/hash marking is where I'd reached when somebody pulled out right in front one day.... I needed to take avoidance action - luckily there was nothing coming down from the north approach (and there was much bad language). With the best will in the world you cannot excuse that surely? I was literally 100 feet from the junction.

There's no excuse at all, but if you are at the junction and looking at a car coming from the south, the only real way to judge the distance is by the size of the car, you cannot really locate it as being alongside anything.

Judging by the amount of cars pulling out of there when they shouldn't it seems to give some people a problem, certainly it's the only junction that I approach thinking ahead to not assume people will stop, having had some "adventures" myself.

It's the same general issue though, compared with most places we have few bits of road with real issues, the worst you can say is that there are still a few places that can cause you a problem if you drive badly.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed in Greenfield for a bit and will nominate the roundabout at top of Church Road, Whilst tryng to turn out from Greenfield (big kirk!) it's amazing the amount of folks who come up church road and just motor on round the corner. Also I'd like to see anyone who can come down Knab Road and turn into Greenfield without hitting the roundabout, give it a try!!

^^

Can't you remember what that junction used to be like before the roundabout.

I would actually nominate that mini roundabout as being one of the best improvements to a road junction in Lerwick.

Also I'd like to see anyone who can come down Knab Road and turn into Greenfield without hitting the roundabout, give it a try!!

Is this just a crafty way of attracting more custom for Kveldsro ? :wink:

^^ That roundabout is certainly an improvement from how it used to be.

There are a serious quantity of drivers who will not indicate at it though. Particularly those following the old main route past St Olaf's hall and turning left down Church Road.

You're right about the crazy maneouvre coming down Knab road and turning into Greenfield! I don't even attempt it now. If plod pull me up on it, i'll just ask them to step into my wagon and watch them attempt it.