• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Smoking Ban Early Adoption

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

I felt that this warranted a new topic as this is a question specifically about Shetland.

Which pubs around Shetland are adopting the smoking ban early?

I know that the Herrislea House Hotel grasped the nettle some considerable time ago.

#2 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

Well Mooney's adopted it about 2 years ago and quickly dropped it after a poor couple of weeks of business in the upstairs bar.

How long do you reckon it will be before the first "Smoking in a public place" related arrest in Shetland?

#3 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

How long do you reckon it will be before the first "Smoking in a public place" related arrest in Shetland?

Ha Ha! You are joking right?

I think we'll wait a long, long time for so much as a fixed penalty!

Besides, look at ireland now, there's not much 'subversion' going on, is there?

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

I'm not so sure mate. I'm assuming that the smoking thing is going to be taken into consideration when renewing licences for pubs - in a similar way to the amount of underage drinking is. So this *should* mean that bar staff ask people to stub out. And when someone refuses, if they want to keep their licence, surely the next step will be calling the feds?

#5 HacksawDuggan

HacksawDuggan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

I believe there's a two grand fine involved for any employer who lets people smoke in their premises, as well as the license considerations for pubs and such.

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:39 AM

Calling Crimestoppers to report a drunk driver can net you £500. The NorthLink Stewards do it all the time, there may be a similar arrangement for smoking in an enclosed space. I would shop anyone though reward or no reward, I can't stand fag reek or smelling like a pub when I get home.

#7 Pooks

Pooks

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2603 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

You'll end up smelling of reek anyway when you wade through the crowds of smokers standing outside the front door!

#8 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

No, since its in open air and you're only passing the death smell for a few seconds + at least they won't be smoking when you're inside, when the death has time to s[t]ink into your clothes

#9 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

No, since its in open air and you're only passing the death smell for a few seconds + at least they won't be smoking when you're inside, when the death has time to s[t]ink into your clothes

Perhaps you should airbrush out dylan moran's fag on your avatar when commenting on this JAS :wink:

#10 Styles

Styles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

Mabey smokers could take up chewing tobbaco and we could have spitoons in all the pubs.

#11 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

Publicans in Lerwick must be feeling more than a little foolish to have been so wrong with their predictions regarding how they would lose so many customers when the smoking ban came into place. Lerwick was throbbing as usual on the first Saturday after the ban. People that I had never seen before were out enjoying themselves.

#12 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

Perhaps you should airbrush out dylan moran's fag on your avatar when commenting on this JAS :wink:

Its ok; he's smoking outside his book shop.

#13 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: