Safe Driving DVD.

JAStewart

What are your opinions on this?

For those of you that don't know, there is going to be a DVD released in Shetland regarding the consequences of safe driving containing interviews with people who have been through experinces of losing loved ones and such.

I agree with it totally, but It was a big shock to see Rhys Diamond in the paper again.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am for it. I think that anything that we can do to educate drivers is a good thing.

I heard someone on the radio recently say that driving instructors don't teach people to indicate as a rule anymore andd that they should only indicate when necessary, (for the benefit of other road users presumably).

I think that drivers need reminding that other road users include pedestrians.

Quite often I find myself stepping out into the road near the Somerfield roundabout, as no-one is indicating to take the road on which I am about to cross, only to be nearly run over by some non-indicating driver.

They are almost always middle-aged and driving large newish cars. I hate to admit that they are mostly male too! When women do it they seem more likely to offer some apologetic sign.

Quite often I find myself stepping out into the road near the Somerfield roundabout, as no-one is indicating to take the road on which I am about to cross, only to be nearly run over by some non-indicating driver.

My long held belief is that if an indicator is flashing it means the bulb works.

More seriously, I think anything that prevents yet another young life being lost in an accident is great. And never mind young lives. The nearest to an accident that I have seen in recent weeks was a mature lady driving through the red light on the crossing outside the Albert building. Not at any great speed but would still have injured the pedestrian waiting to cross.

J A STEWART if my mind serves me right... i recall you replied to a topic on this forum saying that you were doing 110 mph on a bike in st olaf street :roll:

pot and kettle me thinks :lol:

I'm sure JAS can speak for himself but I believe he said he was the passenger on said bike and therefore at the mercy (or complete lack) of the driver.

I may of course be wrong....JAS?

I heard someone on the radio recently say that driving instructors don't teach people to indicate as a rule anymore andd that they should only indicate when necessary, (for the benefit of other road users presumably).

I think that drivers need reminding that other road users include pedestrians.

People failing to indicate is a pet hate of mine and undoubtedly contributes to a lot of minor smashes. What worries me most is that police vehicles seem to have a habit of failing to indicate (not joost here but Sooth as weel). As upstanding members of the community they should surely be trying to set an example?

Back on topic, I think the DVD can only be a good thing. Even if it only deters one or two people from making silly decisions about the way they drive. Nobody is a perfect driver, we all make mistakes but some people deliberately make mistakes, endangering other peoples lives.

More seriously, I think anything that prevents yet another young life being lost in an accident is great. And never mind young lives. The nearest to an accident that I have seen in recent weeks was a mature lady driving through the red light on the crossing outside the Albert building. Not at any great speed but would still have injured the pedestrian waiting to cross.

I have twice been almost run down at the Clickimin crossing.

Once I have to admit that I stepped out without looking. The green man was lit at the time so I just assumed that it was safe. The speed of the car and the shock of the near miss made me miss his/her registration number. The next one I will report before they kill someone.

Once I have to admit that I stepped out without looking. The green man was lit at the time so I just assumed that it was safe. The speed of the car and the shock of the near miss made me miss his/her registration number. The next one I will report before they kill someone.

Since I started driving myself and realized that sometimes (rarely) lights change on you so suddenly that it would be more unsafe to stop than to keep going, I never walk when the green man shows until I can see that traffic is indeed definately stopping. Also I have often seen people so ingrosed in mobile phones that they're not totally aware that someone may be about to cross. I think there should be more speed bumps in the town near crossings as they really force people to slow down.

J A STEWART if my mind serves me right... i recall you replied to a topic on this forum saying that you were doing 110 mph on a bike in st olaf street :roll:

I'm sure JAS can speak for himself but I believe he said he was the passenger on said bike and therefore at the mercy (or complete lack) of the driver.

I may of course be wrong....JAS?

even so..

Since I started driving myself and realized that sometimes (rarely) lights change on you so suddenly that it would be more unsafe to stop than to keep going, I never walk when the green man shows until I can see that traffic is indeed definately stopping. Also I have often seen people so ingrosed in mobile phones that they're not totally aware that someone may be about to cross. I think there should be more speed bumps in the town near crossings as they really force people to slow down.

Next time you are at a crossing just note a couple of things. Firstly bear in mind that amber means stop. Secondly bear in mind that a decent driver would always be prepared to stop at traffic lights, give way signs etc., but thirdly look at the delay between when the red light comes on for the traffic to stop and when the green man actually lights up. It is a really long delay. Sometimes I feel embarrased standing there waiting for the green man to light up as the traffic has (usually) stopped long before.

I personally hate speed bumps, but what I did find always seemed to work was stripes across the road that send a "signal" through the steering wheel to the driver. As a motorcyclist I was always worried about speed bumps, especially when dragging a trailer.

Mobile phone users are not always in the car. Sometimes it is dozy pedestrians, but if they get run over then it isn't necessary a bad thing!

Next time you are at a crossing just note a couple of things. Firstly bear in mind that amber means stop. Secondly bear in mind that a decent driver would always be prepared to stop at traffic lights, give way signs etc., but thirdly look at the delay between when the red light comes on for the traffic to stop and when the green man actually lights up. It is a really long delay. Sometimes I feel embarrased standing there waiting for the green man to light up as the traffic has (usually) stopped long before.

I personally hate speed bumps, but what I did find always seemed to work was stripes across the road that send a "signal" through the steering wheel to the driver. As a motorcyclist I was always worried about speed bumps, especially when dragging a trailer.

Mobile phone users are not always in the car. Sometimes it is dozy pedestrians, but if they get run over then it isn't necessary a bad thing!

I did say rarely. The timing on traffic lights is sometimes wrong.

I know what you mean about sometimes feeling embarresed waiting for the green man but the delay is for your safety(some idiot like me may not have noticed the lights were about to change). Again, you should never cross just because the green man says it's ok. You should see for yourself that it is safe.

I don't think I've encountered the 'speed stripes' you mentioned. They sound less annoying for drivers but do they force you to slow or just make you aware that you should? Unfortunately there are drivers who only slow down if they have no choice.

If as you say, it might not be a bad thing if pedestrians using mobile phones get run over, does that mean it's ok for a driver to run you over the next time you cross without looking?

110mph iiiwheely!!! along St Olaf Street!!!

I was on the back of the bike but wholly turd it was scary!

http://www.shetlink.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2000#2000

I don't think I've encountered the 'speed stripes' you mentioned. They sound less annoying for drivers but do they force you to slow or just make you aware that you should? Unfortunately there are drivers who only slow down if they have no choice.

If as you say, it might not be a bad thing if pedestrians using mobile phones get run over, does that mean it's ok for a driver to run you over the next time you cross without looking?

On the former - They are generally located at such places as roundabouts on dual carriageways in the last 300 yards.

On the latter - Only if I am talking on a mobile phone :D

It should be noted that road safety and awareness is for all. This means not just the people driving the cars but also the pedestrians, cyclists, horsey people and invalid carriages. Every single one of them should have at least an inkling of what the Highway Code is.

It would be a case of wreckless driving had a driver not checked the road before driving off, green light or not. The same should apply for pedestrians. When they are on the road then they are a road user the same as anyone else.

Personally I am in agreement of a regular resit of driving tests. Maybe not as stringent as the initial one (for instance holding your arms at 10 to 2), but certainly a resit to make sure you can remember the fundamental basics of safety. It would also help to ensure drivers know of changes to the law etc... Take a 60 year old driver. How many laws have changed since they got a license? Just recently there was talk about not allowing a child under 11 in the front of a car. Has this law been passed yet? Who knows? Who would unless it had been brought ot their attention.