Safe Driving DVD.

JAStewart

I don't think that this DVD will do any good, I can remember being shown pictures of car crashes by the police when I was at the AHS and being told the stories of the gruesome aftermath.

One which sticks in my head was the police saying that they had had to take turns at holding a man's neck closed to stop him bleeding to death while the drunk driver who had caused the accident could been seen walking away over the hill. They said they couldn't chase him because each oficer had to take turns being sick because the man was bleeding so much and he died. By the time they caught up with the drunk guy he was sober and got off scott free.

Don't know about you but to me this sounds totaly fabricated.

Also talking about indicating how many times have you seen the police not use thier indicators. Recently near my house in Edinburgh I saw a police van pull in, stop, move off, turn the wrong way down a one street, do a u-turn, take a left, then pull in and stop. This maneuver was executed without a single indication and police drivers have had advanced training!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of police think they are above the law for things like that.

They are above the law. My mother used to work for them as a civilian and she had some tales to tell.

When the copper crashed into a stationary car, (probably whilst reaching into his bag of doughnuts for the last one), it always turned out the the parked car's handbrake was faulty and the unmanned car suddenly swerved out into the path of the cop car.

I just hope that he didn't get jam on his uniform.

It's interesting to note that that the trend is forming here toward disrespect for the police, which of course has nothing to do with safe driving or it's implementation.

I could tell several hair-raising stories about the police and their driving antics but would rather refer back to a serious point

One which sticks in my head was the police saying that they had had to take turns at holding a man's neck closed to stop him bleeding to death while the drunk driver who had caused the accident could been seen walking away over the hill. They said they couldn't chase him because each oficer had to take turns being sick because the man was bleeding so much and he died. By the time they caught up with the drunk guy he was sober and got off scott free.

I know i'm being a wet blanket here, but seriously, that video may well have been fabricated, but similar horror stories do actually happen on the roads all the time. It is also interesting that your recollection of the video is there, but in a mode of complete disbelief. Not targetting you turrifield, but it is a clear reflection of the "it couldn't happen to me" attitude that pervades motoring psychology.

It could, it can and it does. Pity there is no easy answer as to how to turn that message into a media that people do take seriously.

Maybe we should start short-term conscription to the fire brigade, or ambulance service. (Joking of course).

I don't think that this DVD will do any good, I can remember being shown pictures of car crashes by the police when I was at the AHS and being told the stories of the gruesome aftermath.

What is the point you are trying to make ?

Nungle wrote:

"I know i'm being a wet blanket here, but seriously, that video may well have been fabricated, but similar horror stories do actually happen on the roads all the time. It is also interesting that your recollection of the video is there, but in a mode of complete disbelief. Not targetting you turrifield, but it is a clear reflection of the "it couldn't happen to me" attitude that pervades motoring psychology.

It could, it can and it does. Pity there is no easy answer as to how to turn that message into a media that people do take seriously.

Maybe we should start short-term conscription to the fire brigade, or ambulance service. (Joking of course)."

It wasn't a video it was a story that a police officer told durning a visit to the AHS. It has stuck in my head along with lots of other useless information. We were not even driving age when we were being told this. The point I'm trying to make is that gruesome stories, pictures or footage don't help to make the roads safer.

It's interesting to note that that the trend is forming here toward disrespect for the police, which of course has nothing to do with safe driving or it's implementation.

I think that the behavior of the police and respect for them are both very important factors in improving road safety

I think that the behavior of the police and respect for them are both very important factors in improving road safety

I would agree. Leading by example always gains respect quicker.

I would agree. Leading by example always gains respect quicker.

Definitely. To witness a Police car haul out from behind a long line of slow moving traffic, and at speeds very obviously exceeding 60mph proceed to overtake it in one go, for no other reason than to allow the guy to get home for his tea a little quicker, does nothing except breed resentment and disrespect. Especially when he or one of his cronies hauls you, or one of your friends over for doing pretty much the same thing, and you get to pay the ticket while he only gets your dirty look.

If the Police expect respect from the public, and expect the public to swallow all their rhetoric. "Don't do as I do, but do as I tell you", is definitely not the way to go about it, especially with younger people.

I totally agree with all these points about the police behaviour. I see red every time they fail to indicate, let alone the worse things i'm aware of.

But! The point i'm making is: Is it necessary to see the police driving perfectly to persuade us to take driving seriously ourselves? Is it a case of "monkey see, monkey do?", (excuse the quotation) I've seen the police go through the south lochside roundabout at about fifty on fireworks night with hundreds of people there, but it does not mean that i now think it would be ok for me to try it.

There's a classic story, i'll skimp on details, of drunken police alledgedly going up and down a street pulling handbrake turns. But I have no desire to try that either.

Safe driving has nothing to do with what everybody else is doing, not even the police, it is a personal responsibility. Singular. Eg, the speed limit on an icy single track road is still technically 60, but no-one in their right mind (without ice-spikes) would try it, they are responsible for the decision making process in their own vehicle. Same applies to fair weather town driving also.

Do we require to be told and shown what to do, in all situations or can we make our own minds up, within reason?

As an aside, in some states in america, they have signs reducing the speed limit on bends, great idea. How well would it go down here i wonder?

If gruesome stories/images don't help anybody take responsibility then what would? I don't know. I'm not the best driver in the world, but i drive a lot more safely since encountering some 'gruesome images' myself. The police driving standard has no effect on my own at all. Ever. The law does, but that's different.

Except on the bike, perhaps, alledgedly :wink: