Northlink Photo ID

Medziotojas

Are you in favour of the Northlink photo ID scheme?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of the Northlink photo ID scheme?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not really bothered one way or the other

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say you carry your ID on you the whole time remember that student ID doesn't count. If you don't drive then no driving licence.

I've found myself in the past catching planes/trains and boats at almost a moment's notice strait from work, I know I'm not the only Shetlander who has that sort of family crisis (recently spent a boat journey with someone who'd not had time to get to a bank - she wasn't looking for money, more an ear to listen as she was worried about what she was coming home to).

JA I believe you're at university south - if, god forbid something happened to a close relative, you find out 20minutes before the last check in at the boat (if you were in aberdeen) would you want to rush home find your passport or want to head strait for the boat?

^^

I read this on the National ID topic regarding Northlink ID.

but why cant we just use our passport. like we do at airports?

You can. All is required is a standard photo ID. Passport, driving license, student ID, a bank card with a photo, a national concession card, bus pass, a young scot card, citizenship card, local authority card (SIC or OIC)...the list isnt exhaustive. Obviously a completely random photo ID for an unknown club or organisation wouldn't be acceptable.

It would be quite interesting to find a survey somewhere that could see how many people actually dont have any form of photo ID.

No-one under 16 needs any, most young folk have student ID, a huge percentage carry a driving license (upgrades from paper to photo card at the DVLA is about £9 i think), and everyone in Scotland over the age of 60 should have now been issued with the National Concession Card which entitles them to two free return trips on the ferry with a cabin, and completely free bus travel over the whole of scotland.

Guest willz320

Would it not be far more interesting for each person to comment on why they chose their decision?

If 'yes', are there any benefits that affect you?

If 'No', what part of the scheme affects you negatively?

I think the third answer is self-explanatory!

p.s. I chose Yes, because with ID - my booking is safer from fraud, there is less chance of aggressive barred passengers being onboard, my islander discount is more secure and there is an extra defence to stop anyone with malicious intent travelling under a false name.

Plus, I always have ID anyway - being a driver. As someone quoted me above, NorthLink are fairly happy to accept a huge range of different IDs, some which are obtainable for FREE. Whats the fuss.

If Mr police officer asked you for your driving license, ( based on the assumption that because your are driving in this country, you must carry a driving license), would you be happy to supply this form of ID?

If Mrs check-in staff at NorthLink asked you for ID, (based on the assumption that because you are travelling with their company, you must carry photo ID), should you be happy to supply a form of ID?

I think you should be happy. Quite contented in fact. Its a reasonable request - seeing as you're travelling on their ship! (On the legality of the passenger manifest alone - asking for ID is every bit acceptable).

But.....thats what I think! What do you think? :)

If Mr police officer asked you for your driving license, ( based on the assumption that because your are driving in this country, you must carry a driving license), would you be happy to supply this form of ID?

There is no requirement to have your driving license with you while driving. I've asked by the police for my license twice during my driving career, and on neither occasion did I have my license with me. Was I thrown across the bonnet, frisked, and dragged off to the cells ? No, I was politely asked to produce it at a police station within seven days.

Guest willz320
There is no requirement to have your driving license with you while driving.

I didnt know that! But thats quite handy! I think the same policy for the boat would be a bit messy in that case! :)

For folk that dont have ID though - northlink are very happy to offer information on where to get one in advance, either free or at a low cost. In the case of a forgotten ID, common sense at the port would prevail...!

^^ I have no photo I.D. either. I have a Driving Licence, but it has no photo, and I never carry it with me anyway.

Used to have a photo I.D. in the shape of a shotgun licence, but allowed it to lapse many years ago when I no longer had use for the gun and sold it on. Had another that allowed me access to airside and other restricted areas when I was working at the airport. It was handed back though when I left the job, and I'm not sure HIAL Ltd would have been too chuffed if they got wind I was using it as a means of proving I.D. up and down the country willy nilly.

I don't care that I.D. acceptable to Northlink is available for low cost or for free, considering exactly who Northlink is, I immensely resent the fact they insist I even have to go to the hassle and aggrivation of organising one, just so as I am allowed to travel on their service. If they won't accept me as they find me, tough, they just lost my business.

In the case of a forgotten ID, common sense at the port would prevail...!

So all Mr Terrorist has to do is say "oops, i've forgotten my ID" at check in.

It rather makes the whole thing worthless does it not?

I really dont see the need or benefit of it. If Northlink want to cut down fraud on who's claiming islander discount which has been stated as one reason, they have everybody who's registered on their database. Why dont they just buy a voters roll and verify their information?