Ghost Stories

lumpsucker

Do you believe in ghosts  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in ghosts

• Yes, I am a big scaredy cat
    • No, its an absolute load of nonsense
    • Yes, I am a ghost

The loch stories are excellent. I heard a story about the loch over the hill between Weisdale and Kergord side - it is in the middle of nowehere. I think it was either Maa Water, or Lamba Water.

Basically one of those lochs involves coming over it from the top of the hill whereby you look down on it. The chap apparantly had walked to the loch with all his fishing gear. When he got to the top of the hill, and looked down on the loch, he saw what looked like a man in the middle of the loch. However, it wasn't a man. Although the shame of a man, it was far to big to be a man, and it had some form of animals head. The guy promptly up and ran heading quickly - via a long trek - back to his car. I think he dropped most of his gear.

I've never heard this one afore, been fishing up there a few times when I wis younger, just asked da old wife aboot dis and she's never heard o it either, she's fae East Burrafirth an has caad sheep in yun hills for years, winder if there's any other old stories aboot yun Lochs?, I'm intriegued

Apologies :wink: to reesie and kevin, not to poolhaddock tho', cos your response had me laughing helplessly for minutes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any hoo....just setting a bit of atmosphere. I do hae serious things to say here but i'll get back to that. I'm not mocking it, m-kay :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I've heard a few different stories from around the place.

The road through the Tingwall Valley, I've been told that the pilot that was killed in the Air Ambulance crash a few years back has been seen from the road.

Also in Tingwall, not a ghost story perhaps but still pretty gruesome. Back in the day, around Christmas time a mother and 2 children had gone through the ice on the Tingwall Loch in a horse and cart and were pulled from the water dead. The bodies were moved to the family home but the father was away on business. He returned to the house later that evening to find his family dead and he killed himself in despair. Any truth to that?

Also - and this came from one of my English teachers at School - there was a double murder in one of the buildings on Commercial Street. From memory, I think it was the building housing Inkster's Soliciters (between Malcomsons and the jewellers). I believe it was a husband killing his wife and one of his kids with the other escaping to raise the alarm.

As for ghosts, I've been told that the Black Gaet road is haunted. Never been told by what/who. Same goes for the road between the Hamnavoe junction and Bridge End.

Never seen a ghost myself, I'm more partial to the "electro-magnetic playback" theory as opposed to actual "ghosts". My old man insists he has seen 2. 1 in his University flat in Edinburgh and another in a place he used to work.

One story I do have, although not specifically related to me, was still pretty freaky at the time. Back at my old school, we used to get outward bound weekends to the Benmore Outdoor Ed centre which is fairly near Dunoon if I remember. They own a farmhouse about 3 miles from the centre itself which is where we were staying. 3 miles along a dirt track and powered by a generator. There was also a graveyard about 50 yards from the farm house, the gravestones all written in old scots/gaelic. Anyway one night, I think a group of 4 or 5 had gone for a walk and they ended up coming back up the road past the graveyard. 3 of the group came back into the house gibbering about having seen "someone" in the graveyard and they seemed mighty convinced about what they had seen. The folk at the centre said they had heard stories before about stuff being seen and the visitor book had more that 1 account of something being seen. Some of us wanted to go to the graveyard and see if we could see anything. The teachers with us fobbed us off with the " it's too late, we're too tired to go with you" excuse.

As for ghosts, I've been told that the Black Gaet road is haunted. Never been told by what/who

There's more than one account of people/something appearing in the back seats of cars travelling through the old black gaet road. I think someone speculated on a "ghost car" even. I've no heard any new stories since the new road was built though.

He He, you'll all be thinkin about it noo! :wink:

I used to "test my mettle" when younger by driving through there on my peerie 125 motorbike after hearing those stories. And if feeling really brave i would stop and switch the engine and lights off to see if anything 'happened'.

It never did though. :(

I've heard a few different stories from around the place.

Also - and this came from one of my English teachers at School - there was a double murder in one of the buildings on Commercial Street. From memory, I think it was the building housing Inkster's Soliciters (between Malcomsons and the jewellers). I believe it was a husband killing his wife and one of his kids with the other escaping to raise the alarm.

e.

I think it might be the building opposite - The Hydro Electric shop. Russel Gair's dad used to own it. Ask Russell to tell you the stories about it the next time you see him. Scary stuff!

I remember Russell telling some stories about that place.

There were some very strange goings on with the CCTV system. I can't remember any of the details but there was something about a window appearing on the monitors which wasn't there in reality. And more about figures appearing and dissappearing in impossible places.

From http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/explore/murder_casebook.htm

"Shetland’s only mass murder occurred in 1858 in Lerwick. Peter Williamson had a shop on Commercial Street, but lived above a different shop at the foot of Fox Lane. On March 25th he murdered his wife and three of his children. One child was injured but survived and another was visiting a neighbour at the time. After the horrendous crime nobody would occupy the house, and it later became a custom house."

There is a little old croft house in Skellister Nesting which is legendary for being haunted. There are stories that a lass who was biding in the house a few years ago came down the stairs in the middle of the night and she felt this weird feeling at the bottom of the stairs and she glanced in the sitting room and there was an old wife sitting on the couch. She went back up the stairs and said to her boyfriend I think de Granny is in the sitting room. He says me granny whit is du spiking aboot. She said shes in da room du'll hay to go and hiv a look. He went down the stairs and there was no one there. Went to the door and it was locked so no one had been in. They soon moved.

I have heard a lot of stories over the years about this house from different folk. A couple of guys I knew moved in there,so me and a good pal decided to do a hit on them to put the heebie jeebies up them. Oh my god - it could have not have gone more terribly wrong. We got on the dark clothes and balaclavas - it was a dark windy night, we crept down to the house, the lights were on. So we decided to throw some stones on the roof to get a clatter going - no response from the house. We tried a bigger stone - no response. We decided to take things a stage further and bang on the door. We hammered on the door that hard we smashed the glass in! Feeling bad we owned up and went in for a cup of tea. Now - we get to the point - there was one peerie window in the gable of the sitting room, all of a sudden I saw this faint image of an old wife slowly moving past the outside of the window. I looked around at me pal and by the look on his face I knew he had seen it as well. I said to him "did du..." he said "yeh I did see yun". It put the turds up me - we drank up our tea and left.

Important announcement! Please read this to yourself in a voice like Vincent Price in Michael Jackson's Thriller

I am being conntacted through the ether by the spirit of Russell Gair

He has agreed to recount his stories of the spooks and ghouls of Commercial Street

What's did you say Russel? He says he will contact us via the power of the undead at midnight on Saturday using the medium of this forum

His voice is becoming weaker.....

And weaker.....

And weaker.....

I would like to know the property that Yowe was speaking about. I may be living in it!

:wink:

It's in Kanterstead road.

I think I had a bad experience in that house - if I have the right one - I canna go into it but it was the creepiest house I have ever been in - it felt like there was a malevolent spirit in there.