Financial Meltdown

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I thought I read somewhere today that Aberdeen council had £120million ear-marked for new schools invested with Iceland.

Edit: I did taw a puddy tat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7661206.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7660438.stm

And saw this just now:

Brown condemns Iceland over banks; Icelandic companies' assets frozen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7662027.stm

Iceland's prime minister Geir Haarde said it was "not very pleasant" to learn that anti-terror laws were being used to deal with the company

And saw this just now:

Brown condemns Iceland over banks; Icelandic companies' assets frozen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7662027.stm

Iceland's prime minister Geir Haarde said it was "not very pleasant" to learn that anti-terror laws were being used to deal with the company

Handy things, them anti-terror laws. Guess those extremist Icelandic bankers were threatening national security!

I bet a lot of people will haul their money out of Switzerland, based on the Iceland ridiculocity.

Why? Why pull your money out of one of the safest and perhaps most conservative systems in the world in this current economic climate? Iceland are newcomers and made mistakes in their expansion into european markets whereas the Swiss are primarily people who take deposits, offer laughably bad interest rates but give a level of privacy that makes the Vatican look like an open access acid house party.

Iceland and Switzerland are I think very very different.

Gold is starting to look rather attractive.

I am not so sure about gold. What use is it? If I had a lot of money I would rather buy land, but a better strategy for those with only a few hundreds of pounds at risk in the bank would be canned food and rice by the hundredweight.

I read a blog that says that Supermarkets in Iceland have been emptied of certain goods and the Supermarkets themselves are saying that they will no longer be able to afford to import goods such as olive oil, rice etc etc.

Food rationing is possibly not far away for Iceland.

Currently anyone in Iceland who wishes to draw foreign currency will have to produce a ticket as evidence that they have actually booked a foreign trip. This restriction on access to foreign currency is similar to that imposed in the UK in the austerity years after the second worl war. Tough times indeed for the Icelanders.

The east european workers have already left in droves because they are getting paid in a more or less worthless currency and they can't send money home.

Who knows where its going to go

who knows just how bad things will get, but it is looking more and more each day like we are up el-turdio creek minus one canoe, never mind the paddle. the debt this country holds now after the bail outs, not to mention the extra debt we are yet to accumulate due to recession/depression, is probably going to utterly destroy our currency, back to 3rd world status. living beyond ones means will always end up in tears. Maybe Forvik guilds are after all a good bet :lol:

Gordon Brugabbi famous quotes:

"I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the recovery."

Gordon Brown's 1997 Budget Statement

"Under this Government, Britain will not return to the boom and bust of the past."

Pre-Budget Report, 9th November 1999

"Britain does not want a return to boom and bust."

Budget Statement, 21 March 2000

"So our approach is to reject the old vicious circle of the...the old boom and bust."

Pre-Budget Report, 8 November 2000

"Mr Deputy Speaker we will not return to boom and bust."

Budget Statement, 7 March 2001

"As I have said before Mr Deputy Speaker: No return to boom and bust."

Budget Statement, 22 March 2006

"And we will never return to the old boom and bust."

Budget Statement, 21 March 2007

It took a world recession to break that promise,something beyond his control.

oh common :roll: its 100% entirely his fault, the buck stops with him, he actively encouraged this mad debt binge, the seeds for this disaster was planted when he blatantly let house price inflation get wildly out of control. He turned a blind eye to Lie to buy mortgages, and sub prime lending in general giving us the highest debts per person in the world, and ignored countless warnings from the IMF. The same had happened in America, they were around 18 months ahead of us into the boom/bust cycle, without the credit restriction due to US subprime, we would have continued to boom for absolutely no more than 6 months, then our economy would have hit the skids and we would have been in a worse predicament than we are at the moment.

The money program uncovered this widespread goverment backed fraud in 2003 yet nothing was done. Gordon knew the bust was always going to be in the pipeline, he knew the bigger and longer the boom, the bigger and more painful the bust would be. He suckered all who voted for him, the guy is a genius for being able to successfully sucker so many for so long. This 2003 bbc docu show it in its full glory:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8482518243122067675&hl=en-GB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/10_october/29/money_programme_mortgage.shtml