• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Up Helly Aa

up helly aa

• Please log in to reply
1150 replies to this topic

#1 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

The last Tuesday of January is approaching fast. Anybody in a squad or going to a hall?

#2 Distortio

Distortio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

the last wednesday in january has no bearing on anything at all this year.... normally it would be hop night, but that lands on 1st feb this time.

you best reschedule if you were planning to burn anything.

#3 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

Oops :oops: I take it you're going out Distortio?

#4 Distortio

Distortio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

i don't know yet, it'll probably be coincidental if i happen to find myself wearing a dress in an advanced state of drunkenness.

are you up for uha?

#5 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

I probably won't be here. I haven't been out in a squad for years. When the actual day comes, I kinda wish I was, but I can't be bothered with all the squad meetings 'n' stuff for during the months before hand.

I think Up Helly Aa is a bit of a laugh and nothing more. There are certainly folk who take it very seriously though (i.e. the commitee) But I can't see how you can fault dressing up, getting pissed, setting fire to a boat, being driven around Lerwick and dancing with women all night. Or is there something about tradition and culture or whatever that I'm missing......

#6 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Or is there something about tradition and culture or whatever that I'm missing......

Nope! You summed it up pretty well there! Anybody who takes it more seriously needs to get a life!

#7 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

The tradition/culture angle is entirely modern, truth be told. The viking heritage, well, i've mentioned that elsewhere. Even the 'beard wearing' is a recent addition.

Call it a piss-up/social/community event to brighten up long winter nights and it's a-ok. Call it anything else and you're full of it.

It wouldn't really matter if we burned a 'long-ship' or a 'massey-ferguson' really.

My cynicism is in keeping with the genius that spawned the now forgotten "Pictish-Festival". Revive it and throw in some kind of fertility shit and a votive offering and we've got it in spades.

Or more to the point 4 festivals! one for each season. All year tourist attractions to boot!

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

Ah yis - man dat brings back memories.......blue faces, drinkin black russians, etc. Hit's a shame Sookit Stroopy plc is no more!

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

so no concerns about contributing to global warming then? :wink:

#10 Yowe

Yowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

Men in skirts is always funny. The best thing about Up Helly aa is spotting the last few guizers staggering home the next day.

#11 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

Indeed! In terms of value for effort, the best you can get out of the night is to take a drive around LK at about 9am on wednesday. It's priceless. :lol:

#12 swaabie

swaabie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:18 AM

Min i canna wait. when else do we get da chance ta get da skirt on? An all say dis, you always get a somwhar tae sit, on folks laps, an plenty o drink and dances when your wearin a short een :wink: especialy we fishnets!

#13 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

Du soonds sexy. Ony chance o comin tae da back o da bus we dee? :D

#14 swaabie

swaabie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Only if do stinks o booze an fags, his a mooth foo o' soup and puke, an canna git it up fir want o tryin', darlin. :lol:

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

Serious message here. Can somebody.....marshalls, police or whoever put a stop to the uncaring idiots who stand in front of the disabled peoples cars outside King Erik House. Last year I came close to shouting at the police who did not move them.....this year who knows?.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: up helly aa