Classifieds issues

Hobbiniho

what is everybodys problem it seems that as soon as there is a thread posted in the buy and sell forum that there is always sumebody who has to add a stupid sarcastic comment that has nothing to do with the item that is for sale/free/wanted, can we not have it so that the posts are moderated and as soon as they are posted then a moderator locks them and all the buying selling is done via pm, many times iv got an e mail to say that someone has replied to my thread only to find out its some sarcastic tw@, if you have a problem with what is being sold/bought then use the PM function or start your own bleedin topic in the anything and everything else section but dont clog up the buy and sell with utter cr@p :x :x

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can accept that perhaps sometimes comments are irritating to the seller but there is a simple enough remedy. Advertise somewhere other than a forum. Certainly some for sale threads have developed into something brilliant.......think monkey........while others have carried sensible comments or at least comments that I consider sensible.

This subject causes a degree of consternation amongst the moderators, I can assure you. We are already accused on occasion of excessive moderation. It is quite refreshing to find anyone requesting more. :wink:

I fear there is no straight answer to this as while i agree with Hobbinho, I also agree with JustMe.

The golden forum rule, can't please all the people all the time. :wink:

... as soon as they are posted then a moderator locks them

I would welcome that, but not because I agree or disagree with the reason put forth. On that I am indifferent.

...but dont clog up the buy and sell with utter cr@p :x :x

Why I would find the locking of Shetland Classifieds posts an improvement is solely because I personally have no interest in them and often find they clog up the Latest Forum Posts list.

I suppose one option would be for the site's PHP to be tweaked so that original posters would have available the Lock button in the same way that the Edit button is provided.

Put in a proper sales section to Shetlink, auction style with buy-it-now prices

Heres free phpbb software, that integrates with your forum software: http://www.phpbb-auction.com/

that way you dont have the option to add comments to other folks sales

If we had a proper system, i might be tempted to put more items up for sale

While I can appreciate that an original poster may be irritated by irrelevant posts I'm not sure I see a problem with it.

Each post, relevant or not bumps the Ad back to prime viewing position at the top of the board, and anyone genuinely interested in the Ad I would have thought was highly unlikely to put put off by whatever was posted subsequently, and in many cases probably won't even scroll to see/read any of it.

what is everybodys problem it seems that as soon as there is a thread posted in the buy and sell forum that there is always sumebody who has to add a stupid sarcastic comment that has nothing to do with the item that is for sale/free/wanted,

Would "Bump" fall into this catagory? There are loads of listing that have been bumped by the O.P., usually for complete tat that nobody is interested in. I find this practice annoying and when i posted up a thread about the subject a few months ago, i got told not to read the posts!!!

However, i do agree that lecturing someone on their abilty (or lack of) to care for animals, based on the timing of a "For Sale" advert is bang out of order and should be removed from the post by the Mods.

I suspect a lot of the more lighter hearted replies are made by someone known to the O.P. and are only in jest.

Locking "For Sale/Wanted/Recycle" adverts will cure some of the problems, but the "Bumpers" will just start making multiple posts for the same item to get back to the top of the forum.

I would hate to see the For Sale/Wanted/Recycle section be removed from the site. I think Shetlink is a better site with this section, than without it.

Just out of interest, are there many people who make donations to the site after they have sucessfully sold something through their advert on Shetlink?

Personally, i have never sold anything through Shetlink, but i have purchased a motorbike and a laptop. I would be inclined to make a donation to the site if i did make a sucessful sale.

Just out of interest, are there many people who make donations to the site after they have sucessfully sold something through their advert on Shetlink?

I think I could probably speak for Shetlink in saying that you have just won a gold star for that post beachcaster.

There's an easy answer too, for once: No.

:)

• 2 months later...

Personally, i have never sold anything through Shetlink, but i have purchased a motorbike and a laptop. I would be inclined to make a donation to the site if i did make a sucessful sale.

am never managed to sell anything yet on da forum, didna stop me fae makin a small donation to shetlink though. every penny counts, so no matter how small it may be, it all adds up. so hows aboot it folks? it wid be a good way to say thanks to the dedicated moderators of shetlink for all dir hard work. if it wasna for dem dir wid be no shetlink!! perish the thought!!! :lol: