• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

St. Ringans Library.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

So another million pounds lost as the council now accept that St. Ringans is not suitable as a library. Never mind.....it is not their money....it is ours!. Any reasonably bright school bairn with a tape measure could have worked out that there was no way the building would be suitable for the diverse needs of the library. I do hope there is some sort of enquiry into this.

#2 Styles

Styles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

I heard this on the radio and was amazed that they went ahead with it even though it was obviouse to any dope the place was too small! I agree surley some dim wit has to take the blame. But as allways it seems you can make any huge mistake you want in the Council and piss millions against the wall as its not your money but the people of Shetlands. You just carry on. I wonder how many of these so called officials in the SIC would have been sacked many times over if it was a private firm! I am looking at planning and the ferries especially here!

#3 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

Mr Angus said that before the refurbishment of St Ringan's Church took place he had been told by "a council official" not to argue against it, because the old library premises were structurally unsafe. "We have since learned that is not the case," he said.

So who said the library had to move becase the old building was unsafe and more important has that person been sacked yet. And if not ...WHY!

#4 Styles

Styles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Gussie said on the radio that Frank Robertson said the complete opposite about the structure that it was not unsound from his time in the Council as a worker. So how could they get it so wrong?

Its like one of those dodgey builders who comes in and tells you its all unsound and then says it will be some crazy price to put right!

Wonder if its all a conspiracey so that some Council department can now get the building when they move some where else!

Wonder if you can find out who was responsible with a Freedom of Information request. Then name and shame them! They must be incompetent to get it so wrong! Do we want these pople still working for the Council?

#5 Pooks

Pooks

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2603 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Leave the poor Council bods alone. This is obviously a misunderstanding. I can see it now...

Cooncil official goes to kirk to confess
Cooncil Official:Feider, I keep hivvin' bad tochts!
Meenister:My boy, dis doesna hae tae be a problem. Da book belangs idda kirk, tak desel dere and read it.

Surely just a simple misunderstanding between the bible and the entire contents of the library?

#6 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

Just out of interest did the kirk belong to the councill, was it gifted to them as a library or (horror of horrors) did they buy it?.

#7 moorit

moorit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:54 PM

Gussie said on the radio that Frank Robertson said the complete opposite about the structure that it was not unsound from his time in the Council as a worker. So how could they get it so wrong?

Its like one of those dodgey builders who comes in and tells you its all unsound and then says it will be some crazy price to put right!

Wonder if its all a conspiracey so that some Council department can now get the building when they move some where else!

Wonder if you can find out who was responsible with a Freedom of Information request. Then name and shame them! They must be incompetent to get it so wrong! Do we want these pople still working for the Council?

Is the building no big enogh or is it structurally unsound ?

#8 Styles

Styles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

The new building is not big enough. They said the old one was structurally unsound, but its not!

#9 Tomblands

Tomblands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

Does it have anything in common with the American University (Boston perhaps?) that had to do some serious foundation work to it's brand new library after the developers failed to take into account the weight of the books buring the design and construction?

#10 Pooks

Pooks

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2603 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

Just out of interest did the kirk belong to the councill, was it gifted to them as a library or (horror of horrors) did they buy it?.

Token gesture of £1 as reported in the Shetland Times today.