Shetland Folk Festival

JustMe

Two points both about the programme leaflet. First I think it is getting boring. Not the festival but the leaflet. Same design year after year. Time for a change. 2nd point concerns the small print. It is just too small. Using the same glasses that I wear for reading everything else I could not read the descriptions of the visiting artistes. Print is just too small. So small that it probably breaks eurolaws on access for disabled people.

I think its a tad unfair to call the programme boring. Mind you I'm slightly biased seeing as I put it together :)

Its there to serve a purpose and personally I feel it does a pretty good

job. We have a limited amount of space available and a lot of information to put on it so we try to make the best of what we've got.

I do agree with you about the small print though and it was a concern when we were putting the programme together, especially the bios page for the visiting artistes but we'll try and rectify it for next years version.

All of the information is also available on the festival website.

It would be great to have something shiny & colourful like some festivals

but we simply don't have the budget for producing it. Bare in mind that

we're a voluntary committee of a charitable organisation who rely on

memberships, the generousity of our sponsors & grants to fund the festival.

However if you have any suggestions for improvements to the programme please feel free to PM me on here, or e-mail the festival office and I'll take a look at them and see if theres anything we can do for next year.

Two points both about the programme leaflet. First I think it is getting boring. Not the festival but the leaflet. Same design year after year. Time for a change. 2nd point concerns the small print. It is just too small. Using the same glasses that I wear for reading everything else I could not read the descriptions of the visiting artistes. Print is just too small. So small that it probably breaks eurolaws on access for disabled people.

Isn't it terrible when you slag something off and then the person that created it comes on in defense and you start to feel really bad about what you wrote! :lol:

Maybe a large print edition of the booklet could be made available for download and printing from the SFF website (not much use for shortsighted oldies who don't use the net thought!)

If fact, I couldn't find a standard copy of the booklet for download on the website. Maybe something which could be done in future....?

Large print version is a great idea and a fairly easy one to implement for next year.

At the moment we tend to only put up the concert details page and the memberships/ticket book form on the Internet site as those are the pages made most use of, however I'll change that for next year and add the option of downloading the full thing.

Good to see some answers about my little moan. The small print thing was serious. Sitting in the same place (and with the same light) where I had just been reading the Shetland Times I just could not read the descriptions of the artistes. Ok so I have ways round that (magnifying glass or scan into the computer) others might well use the waste bin instead.

Boring is not so much a moan as a comment. People get used to doing things in a similar way year after year and sometimes they will only notice when people start to comment. Could also remark that the canned music at the burning site is, to me, something that the UHA people need to think about.

If it is feasable then having the programme and the booking form downloadable sounds good and the podcast is great.

Hi Just Me

Yep, we take all comments such as these on board and will no doubt discuss it after this year's festival. I too think a downloadable version (with larger print) is a great idea.

Thankfully, plenty of programmes have not gone in the waste bin though as tickets are flying off the shelf! Yippee and less than 21 days to go!

Just in case anybody missed it, the SFF peeps have produced a podcast (a downloadable mp3 radio show) to publicise the the event. You can download it an leave your feedback here

Just want to correct this slightly :)

The podcast is all Hambone's own work. He asked the committee's permission to go ahead with it and we helped in sourcing some of the music he used but other than that we weren't involved.

Just in case anybody missed it, the SFF peeps have produced a podcast (a downloadable mp3 radio show) to publicise the the event. You can download it an leave your feedback here

Just want to correct this slightly :)

The podcast is all Hambone's own work. He asked the committee's permission to go ahead with it and we helped in sourcing some of the music he used but other than that we weren't involved.

I stand corrected :wink: Good work Hambone. A true altruist, as are the committee themselves. I tip my hat to you all

However if you have any suggestions for improvements to the programme please feel free to PM me on here, or e-mail the festival office and I'll take a look at them and see if theres anything we can do for next year.

Hi there

I have a budget for marketing in the Music Development Project so maybe we could look at doing something like this together for dual benefit. As long as we could get our contacts on it then the rest could be up to you.

We have the facilities to create stuff here too using photos etc so it might jazz the thing up a bit and give our website etc more publicity. Just a thought - especially as the new Arts Agency cant give you direct grant aid any more.

Worth a discussion at least.

Davie G

Interesting stuff Davie. I'll mention this at the meeting we have tonight if thats alright ?

I heard you're not going to be around for the festival weekend, america beckons I believe, so I'll get back to you once this years one is done and dusted, and our bodies/minds have recovered :)

Andrew

Interesting stuff Davie. I'll mention this at the meeting we have tonight if thats alright ?

I heard you're not going to be around for the festival weekend, america beckons I believe, so I'll get back to you once this years one is done and dusted, and our bodies/minds have recovered :)

Andrew

Yes sadly going to miss it this year for I think the first time since I started going in the mid-80's but there we go.

Let me know what they think though and it's maybe one way we can help and hit a dual benefit button.

good luck with it I'm sure it will be brilliant as usual and will be thinking of you when I am 'dry' on tour with wir young musicians in the States.