bullying at work

vailron

The council does have a bad reputatation in sweepign things under the carpet.. and then when the coast is clear implimenting things to cover themselfs even more.

In ways like making employees go on courses that they should of been on years ago.

Hey vailron,

Bullying at work in my experience can come from all levels..usually the subtle bullies are the worst, the ones that make the snidey comments, only afterwards you realise how hurtful they can be.

Shetland is probably a bad place for WPB(work place bullying) as there is often no-where to turn for people. Often managers etc are all linked to each other..especially in the same industry/department.

I've also witnessed first hand, people being hand picked over others for positions, not based on ability, but purely on the lenghth of time they have hung around for.

Chin up, and dont let the boobalubes grind you down.

Leno

I don't know if I've ever been bullied really, but I've certainly been singled out and victimised by a boss. When I was a postie the manager at the time would routinely scrutinise my work, make snide comments about me and do his level best to make working under him an extremely unpleasant experience.

I can't claim I was a great postman and yes, I did make mistakes, but there were many others in that office that would regularly bend the rules (for which the boss claimed to be a stickler) and whose practices at work were not only sackable but frequently illegal.

Many of the staff would often turn up late or have Mondays off because they were "ill". Much of the promotional mail we were supposed to deliver would somehow never make it to houses - any astute bin men would have noticed that a few postie’s bin bags were suspiciously heavy on certain days of the week. Overtime sheets were always exaggerated and, if there were a breathalyzer test on a Saturday morning, you would have had to lay off and definitely ban most of the workforce.

I never did any of these things but was treated by the manager like a retarded 12 year old .

The unpleasant truth is that some people in positions of power who are insecure about their leadership skills need to have a kind of whipping boy that they can use as an example to others.

This chap was a 30-something new manager coming up from south who clearly needed someone to bully to affirm his strength and, unfortunately for me, I was that person.

I could also argue that the guy was an obvious sadist with marital problems and unfortunate facial configuration, but that would detract from the more scientific approach I’ve adopted when attempting to describe the bar steward's myriad failings as a human being!

In retrospect I should have simply slit his tyres, told him to stick his job and squared up to him there and then, but for some reason I thought the job was important at the time.

At the end of the day no-one should have to put up with the kind of crap I did, but sadly many people not only do but they also feel they have no choice.

The only way to show a vindictive boss is to not let them get you down and to try and remember that it is them that are screwed up and that it’s not your fault. Having said that, never rule out the old slashing tyres option

:wink:

• 4 months later...

how to become an s i c manager

(** mod edit ** - post this sort of thing on you rown website forum Vailron!)

3 as a wedding guest, take the mick out of what members of s i c staff are wearing, upsetting them so much they have to leave the reception early,

now tell me there is no bullying withn the s i c

There is definitely bullying within the SIC - I knew someone that took their own life, largely (but not solely) due to the bullying they experienced from their manager within the SIC.

But I have seen much more widespread bullying in small Shetland businesses, where the owner thinks they can control every little thing every employee does.

how to become an s i c manager

(** mod edit **)

3 as a wedding guest, take the mick out of what members of s i c staff are wearing, upsetting them so much they have to leave the reception early,

now tell me there is no bullying withn the s i c

:zzz:

The 1st and 2nd points are sailing close to the wind you silly sausage. They won't last long.

And actually, this thread has gone on long enough without some of the comments from the bullying thread on myShetland (ahhh...memories)

anyone who doesn't like being bullied should move away

I was held down and buggered over the photocopier the other day. It was my own fault! No, not the case of bullying, my own fault yes.