• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

• Please log in to reply
1262 replies to this topic

#21 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

Raba - best curry
Great wall - best chinese.
Oslas - best place to go if you want to waste money
Co-op - Best fry up, though it isn't actually the co-op, its the sumburgh hotel!

#22 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

Sarmile is the best takeaway in town. Napelese Tikka Massala is superb.

I beg to differ. "I ordered a curry, not onions".

#23 JVRTENNENTS

JVRTENNENTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Sarmile is the best takeaway in town. Napelese Tikka Massala is superb.

I beg to differ. "I ordered a curry, not onions".

Just had it eenoo an dir wisna a onion in it!! Got the wrang curry mate

#24 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

"I ordered a curry, not onions".

What did you order? Dupiaza means 'double onions' if that was what you had.

#25 muddybay-kyebeoy

muddybay-kyebeoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

I asked a few folk last time home where was good for a posh feed, and about half a dozen folk mentioned da Queens. Good new chef, nice seafood options, sounded great. Went, it was mediocre. The seafood platter was seriously half-arsed, and it was very over priced. This is in comparison with restaurants in Glesga :(

I usually venture a trip to the college in Scalloway, always beautiful fish.

Other favourite is bacon and onion roll fae Solottis, nim nims.

#26 Ally

Ally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Harbour Cafe will be better once da smoking ban comes into play!!

The Harbour Cafe were one of the few businesses to grasp the nettle early. Smoking has not been allowed there since the start of this year

That's a shame - some of my fondest memories of the Anderson are of skipping class and heading for a sneaky mid-afternon smoke and a coffee at the harbour cafe with a few pals - all totally convinced that we were intellectual bohemians straight out of some Belle & Sebastian song. Ah, youth. We were just moody twats really.

#27 Roxy71

Roxy71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

I was In Unst on Wednesday with friends from south.
We had planned to go to the Balta Sound Hotel for lunch, but I phoned from the ferry and they said they were not doing lunches nor did they offer an alternative. Typical this has happened to me before.

I decided to try the shop for some ideas. The woman was very helpful and said a new cafe had opened in Uyeasound at the hall, called the Northern Lights Cafe.

When we arrived they had a table available. A small but varied menu with veggie options not bad price. The food was exceptionally good and they are open 9-5. In the summer they will be open til 8pm for eveing meals.
So may I wish them every success over the summer. :D

The Baltasound could learn a thing or too about customer service, quite frankly I dont know how they stay open. Not even to have a pot o soup on the go in May.
This is my second visit to Unst, my last to Balty Towers. :roll:

#28 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

does the clickimin cafe have the worst staff in to world???

recently i was in the cafe at lunch time and while i was in the que i witnesed one of the lasses pick a lump of food out by hand of the service dish and shove it in here gob! i looked with astonishment only to see her go into the kitchen and 2 mins later another member of staff come out and do the exact same- at least if staff wanted to steel bits of food they would do it in the kitchen where no one will see them.

i found the staff very slow and have a defently 'what YOU wanting' attatude, rather than 'can i help you' so no points to them!

lack of speed is also very apparent too, so dont go ther if you are in a rush......

#29 sludgegulper

sludgegulper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

#30 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

Worst staff in Shetland?? You've never lived until you've tried the very helpful & curteous staff at Sumburgh Airport. Smiles? Think they must get the sack if they smile. You end up leaving there wondering if you should say sorry for interupting their day by asking to get served.

well i must agree with you there the airport is far worse - at least you gan get resonable foon in clickimin, worth eating - id not give the food at the airport to my dog - i live him too much. and they do have a right pair of the grumpiest staff in the world.

so the airport is worst followed by clickimin - so far!

#31 Tom

Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

There's that place up the lane from the Tourist Office... name escaping me now... sort of hidden away up a flight of stairs... not overly cheap, but it's pleasant, has good bread, and serves some of the Unst beers (why do so few other places seem to? Support your local most-northerly-bit-of-Britain!)

I rather like Oslas actually... behaviour of proprietors aside - it's the closest thing to a decent pizza around. And how many AHS students can you fit into a window booth? (You'd be amazed)

Also the lunchtime sandwiches at the Peerie Shop café - and if the weather is depressing, a hot chocolate with rum.

Last time I was on Unst (early April) I found myself with nothing but a bag of cashews at 6pm having not had dinner. Couldn't find anywhere with food.

#32 Tom

Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

does the clickimin cafe have the worst staff in to world???

Nothing like finishing off good exercise with big plate of greasy chips!

#33 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

#34 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

Would you smile if you worked there?

Don't be too hard on them, it's not their fault, it's a universal thing. Wilsness has some sort of warped "sick building" syndrome, it's a physical impossibility to work in that building and retain the ability to smile at the same time, I know, I used to work there once upon a long time ago.

thats ok witht eh smiles but maners and quality of food cant be blamed on a bad building

#35 penfold

penfold

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

Your right the food is dreadful at the airport usually reheated stuff from the hotel from the night before I hear, and the selection is not to healthy either, but thats what you get when the operator has a captive market and no competition, :?

#36 Birsey

Birsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

Had a fish supper fae da fort chippy da night which was most splendid. Scalloway was used to be my chippy of choice but since changing hands it has gone downhill.

Went to the peerie shop cafe on Saturday for lunch, must admit to being a little disapointed. The BLT had the most tasteless tomatoes I have ever eaten and I have my suspicions that the bacon had been reheated a la microwave. The only saving grace was the chocolate torte cake thingy which I can strongly recomend. Moral of the story is- good for coffee and cake, no so good for a BLT.

#37 Yowe

Yowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

Your right the food is dreadful at the airport usually reheated stuff from the hotel from the night before I hear, and the selection is not to healthy either, but thats what you get when the operator has a captive market and no competition, :?

A few weeks ago I had a nice meal there and it was a fairly healthy dish too. Mediteranian chicken type thing with pasta. I don't think it quite justified the cost though. As for the service, the lass who served me the food was all smiles and politeness but the guy on the till seemed to have issues.

#38 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

A few weeks ago I had a nice meal there and it was a fairly healthy dish too. Mediteranian chicken type thing with pasta. I don't think it quite justified the cost though. As for the service, the lass who served me the food was all smiles and politeness but the guy on the till seemed to have issues.

that till guy - i totaly agree with you there! i remember a long time ago asking for a hot chocholate and being told i could not get one because of health and saftey! what they ment was they were only one staff member on and he could not leave the till and the chocholate machine was behind the food counter.

maby they should intruduce compertition in the airport difrent styles as good compertition never hurst anyone! and its all for the benifit of the customers

#39 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

.....da Queens. Good new chef, nice seafood options, sounded great. Went, it was mediocre. The seafood platter was seriously half-arsed, and it was very over priced.

I have had similar experience, but only when Fat Man (Mr Maclane) wasn't cheffing - it was worse than mediocre, it was REALLY c**p, rotten shellfish and everything. :evil: Now if we're going for a rare "special-occasion" treat, we phone ahead to see if FM Maclane is cheffing. If he is, you're in for a rare treat. :) If not, don't bother.

#40 wilsnesscorporation

wilsnesscorporation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

yeah the sumburgh airport cafe is fair to say that it is not the best place to eat nor the cheepest place to be in the world but it doesnt help that a certain person called sparky runs it! you need to think that if your stuck at the airport whare else are you gona go!? yeah lets go to the sumburgh hotel! i hear you say! well that aint any better! run by the same mob! they just think about the money not what they are serving up on a plate!