• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

• Please log in to reply
1279 replies to this topic

#1261 suuusssiiieee

suuusssiiieee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Stuff on tables been there since it closed.

#1262 Guest_Mr.Brown_*

Guest_Mr.Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

If the one & only time that I was in there is anything to go by I think it's possible the sauce bottles & whatever else are stuck to the tables! Here's a novel idea, how about an eatery that serves the sort of good, straightforward kind of food that "Da Noost" used to serve many years ago. Anybody mind that?
  • RickB and suuusssiiieee like this

#1263 suuusssiiieee

suuusssiiieee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

Lerwick is crying out for an eatery that caters for families, where you can enjoy a good home cooked meal and a pint - it would make someone somewhere a splendid return. 

#1264 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Lerwick is crying out for an eatery that caters for families, where you can enjoy a good home cooked meal and a pint - it would make someone somewhere a splendid return. 

What like all the hotels!

#1265 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

The Raba has started doing the halls. Recently caught them in Mossbank. A more limited menu but really nice food and freshly cooked in front of you.

I just wish the hall had thought to lay out some tables maybe open the bar. They are always looking for ways to make more cash and I am sure it would have been popular.

• Frances144 likes this

#1266 Guest_Mr.Brown_*

Guest_Mr.Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

My experience of the two hotels on the street has been nice food, good portion size but chips only when I just want a boiled tattie! I haven't been in them since probably late summer(ish) last year so if the tattie status has changed let us know.

#1267 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

I had lovely Dauphinoise potatoes in the Lerwick hotel just last week.

( not the street I know)

#1268 Guest_Mr.Brown_*

Guest_Mr.Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

I had lovely Dauphinoise potatoes in the Lerwick hotel just last week.
( not the street I know)

I wouldn't turn my nose up at those either & I have had a few nice meals out there too though I haven't had occasion to go there in quite some time. My use of the street hotels has been at lunch times when I have needed to be in the town all day or maybe a birthday, so not frequently. The sort of catering that was on offer by "Da Noost" (cafe/restaurant) or the Fisherman's Mission in their hey days I think could be popular again. Everything we have on offer in the day time seems to fall either side of this.
  • thebfg likes this

#1269 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

My experience of the two hotels on the street has been nice food, good portion size but chips only when I just want a boiled tattie! I haven't been in them since probably late summer(ish) last year so if the tattie status has changed let us know.

Goodness, these two wee hotels sound good. There are, of course, other hotels in Shetland but they are not trapped in Lerwick, wherever that is..

#1270 Windwalker

Windwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

couldnt agree more. We used to nip out to Herrislea’s lounge bar for a treat on Fridays at lunch time, great home cooking, good helpings and down to earth food and reasonable prices. It’s difficult to find a good pub lunch now. Everything has to look like an artist plated it.

#1271 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4004 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

The Raba has started doing the halls. Recently caught them in Mossbank. A more limited menu but really nice food and freshly cooked in front of you.

I just wish the hall had thought to lay out some tables maybe open the bar. They are always looking for ways to make more cash and I am sure it would have been popular.

Oooh, please come to Walls. 

#1272 Guest_Mr.Brown_*

Guest_Mr.Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Goodness, these two wee hotels sound good. There are, of course, other hotels in Shetland but they are not trapped in Lerwick, wherever that is..

There is George, Hillswick would be my favourite of the ones I have tried. But it's no use to me when I go to the town as I travel by bus.

#1273 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

There is George, Hillswick would be my favourite of the ones I have tried. But it's no use to me when I go to the town as I travel by bus.

Hillswick is great, Mr Brown. The St Magnus Bay Hotel do a great job of looking after us all and will always feed you well. Luckily, it's within walking distance of me so I enjoy it, unlike the rest of the world which have a bus service which runs 365 days a year. Shetland has an occasional bus service that gives you no more than hope.

#1274 Guest_Mr.Brown_*

Guest_Mr.Brown_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

^I wouldn't expect or want buses 365 days a year, I think everyone if at all possible should get the chance to spend Christmas with their friends & family (whether they're religious or not) & New year too. Any essential workers should be paid extra. I do wish there was more connectivity with buses between areas though so that it were more possible to sample the food (& drink) delights of Hillswick Hotel & other country venues. I envy you George, Hillswick is a beautiful place as well as having the hotel.

#1275 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2122 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

Had an individual trifle from Da Kitchen Bakery tonight, bought in Alec Morrison’s, hidden behind the meat pies. A red jelly with trifle sponges, topped with custard then fresh cream with a cherry on top and a few chocolate sprinkles. So much better than the fake cream on most of the supermarket offerings, and a nice size for one. Well done!

Yesterday bought a Walls bakery battenburg. Really nice marzipan on it. It tends to be too sticky. Bad news on the pickle loaf though, which seems to be getting harder by the week.

What happened to the focaccia that used to be on sale in Lerwick on a Saturday?

#1276 magnie ii

magnie ii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

Had an individual trifle from Da Kitchen Bakery tonight, bought in Alec Morrison’s, hidden behind the meat pies. A red jelly with trifle sponges, topped with custard then fresh cream with a cherry on top and a few chocolate sprinkles. So much better than the fake cream on most of the supermarket offerings, and a nice size for one. Well done!

Yesterday bought a Walls bakery battenburg. Really nice marzipan on it. It tends to be too sticky. Bad news on the pickle loaf though, which seems to be getting harder by the week.

What happened to the focaccia that used to be on sale in Lerwick on a Saturday?

distressed to see the kitchen bakery have started using supermarket instore bakery products seeing packs of pre made danishes etc like in the coop sell with there label on is a shame from a craft bakery

#1277 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Had a fish supper from Franki's yesterday. Really hit the spot and took the hunger away. Ate it as I walked along to the bus stop, think that I'll do the same again today but I might sit in to eat it this time!!!

Edited by George., 01 May 2018 - 07:54 AM.

#1278 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:06 AM

Had lunch in Busta House again last week. Can't praise it enough really good food and reasonably priced. I just wish they would do more with the outside of the building. They have a amazing sheltered sun trap at the main door. Why not put a couple of tables there?

Also had lunch in the French place. The food was nice although the service seemed a bit chaotic. Downside is that the wife hated the coffee and you couldn't get just a plain cup of tea. Will definitely be back though.

Was also in Teamore and although I hate those thin chips served in silly baskets the fish was actually really nice. Although a much smaller portion than the Fort.

Will be trying the Dowry a few times when I get home.

#1279 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

We had a couple of meals at Fjara last week. Lovely place with great service. Free refills on your tea as well. The menu although limited was really nice, with a local twist. the steak was excellent!

I was also in the Peerie shop cafe on saturday. Lovely to sit outside and eat in the Sun. The food was really nice and much better than my previous visit.

#1280 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

A tale of two fry ups:

Went to Frankies last week for my weekly Fry up. It was very poor I am afraid and not a patch on its former glories. very fatty slobbery bacon ( Cold by the way. Cheap and horrible sausages. The Sassermeat had a peculiar sweet taste which was quite unpleasant. Finally the 1 egg was solid!

This week we tried the Moorfield hotel. I had never had breakfast here before so was interested to try it out. slightly more expensive than Frankies but a good portion size. The bacon and Black pudding were lovely and seemed of a good quality.There were Two eggs with lovely runny yokes. This breakfast also suffered from cheap sausages, I do wish they would get some local from a butchers. No sassermeat either which would be a nice addition. A lovely breakfast and great service.