Should Britain follow France and ban the Burka?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed views on this. When I was at Ruskin College, Oxford, studying Women's Studies, we had an assignment and a workshop during which we discussed women in the Middle East and also India. I remember our lecturer telling us that western women had no right to dictate what women in other countries should wear. However, that said, we also had literature from women's groups within those countries. In academic circles, to tell women in other countries what to protest about is classed as being on the same level as patriarchy.

Since then, I have visited Egypt. Our guide in Luxor was the first female tourist guide. On her photographic ID, she appeared very westernised with long hair and was wearing make-up. She explained that it was absolutely impossible for her to work like that albeit she did so initially. Her male colleagues made her life hell. They would spit at her as she walked by with the tourists accompanying her. She was regarded as "easy", a woman with no morals, and treated as if she was a prostitute. Her husband received death threats unless he started to control his wife. The local mosque put pressure on him also.

In the end, she relented and dressed in what was regarded a more appropriate fashion - nope, headgear was not enough and she had to wear a long dress/skirt also. Overnight, the attitude of her male colleagues changed.

I asked her if religion played a part. Her reply was no, but it was just the fact that she was surrounded by ignorant, male (you can guess the next word).

She felt sad that could not dress how she wanted to.

More recently, my lovely neighbour who lived opposite me (and by that, I mean across the landing in the block of flats where I lived in East London), aged in her early twenties, told me that she was going to start wearing the headscarf (can't remember right now the correct word for it). She was fearful that it may make her the victim of racist attacks. She asked me what I thought. I told her that it was down to her but that personally, I hated it. She asked me why. I emphasised it was her choice. She pressed me for an answer.

I told her I hated it because in my eyes, it was a symbol of oppression and that women should be free to wear whatever they liked. I gave examples of men saying that women dressed in miniskirts "were asking for it" when they had been the victim of rape, and why shouldn't women be able to express their sexual beauty without fear of being raped. She replied by saying that nuns are covered from head to foot. I told her I didn't particularly like that either. She told me that her husband respects her more now for wearing it.

She continues to wear the headscarf and has thankfully not had any racist comments made to her.

I still have my own views and personally, I'd never wear one of them. I regard it as my civil duty for my ugly wrinkles and cellulite to scare every single crow on this planet.

• 1 month later...
I might consider actually going into a public swimming pool if I had one of these stylish Burkinis.

Not always a free choice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6034706/Swimmers-are-told-to-wear-burkinis.html

"It also puts moderate Muslims in an awkward position as it suggests, wrongly, that they are not devout enough, simply because they choose not to cover themselves in a shroud in a pool."

love to know how that'd work in a Scandinavian pool.

In Aberdeen it was simple you just went on the all female day. no problem not being covered around other females.

those birkinis remind me of victorian costumes, but think the legs look a little too close for most (if going for modest muslim dress).

But just think ladies no more reaching for the razor when someone hints about going swimming.

Probably unwise to ban it. Never mind that it will make the burka sumbol of rebellion and resistance but it will open a can of worms.

What next... the french beret...horned and winged helmets.. da toorie kep....the skull cap..... beards...... sunglasses...long hair, short hair.

Make it illegal to force someone to wear the burka against their will or to discriminate against those who choose not to wear it.

Imagine you are walking ower da hill some day and a paet bag blows over your head.. is some bobby going to nip up and arrest you for covering your best features.............................................

• 1 month later...

I'm all for police seeing what its like to be part of a minority, and ignoring all the usual "they should be catching rapists" and PC gone mad comments from the Daily Mail isn't this scheme missing the point?

After spending a day in a Burka why didn't they feel restricted in what they are allowed to wear, homogenised by gender and unfairly treated because of Muslim attitudes to women instead of just "viewed with suspicion" by shopkeepers?

This scheme presupposes that it is the case that all Muslim women voluntarily wear this rig oot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204037/Police-exercise-labelled-gimmick-officers-spend-day-dressed-burkhas.html

As its the Mail none of it may be true of course.

It is a bad attempt at good PR me thinx...

They tried thin in the 70's with young black folk, that didn't work, they arrested some of those who they hung around with if my memory serves me right for, being who the police wanted to see what it was like to be....

Where would the shoulder numbers go?

• 6 months later...

"France is to press ahead with plans to ban the wearing of Islamic burkas in public"

President Sarkozy of France has gone ahead with plans to ban wering the burka (muslim veil) in public. Well done to Mr Sarkozy!! At last a politician is taking a stance, defying the advice of the European parliament and taking a simple step in order to safeguard the people of France. A step that does not include sending his troops to a war to be mutilated and murdered. A step that at long last tells those individuals that if they wish to live in his country they will come and abide by our rules and adopt our culture. If only British politicians were not so weak minded and adopted a similar stance instead of pandering to the wishes of minority ethnic groups. But no, our politicians would rather encourage diversity as long as it does not promote our own culture and if it does then pass laws that allows companies and organisations to take action against people who are Christian and wish to wear a cross on a chain whilst at work. Politicians have lost their individuality and zeal to be differant and do what is right for the UK and the British people; instead they seek worldwide fame and acceptance. God bless France and all who rule her!!!!