• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Banks/Pier Fishing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flawsey4

flawsey4

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Morning all

Just wondering if anybody kmows any good places for fishing around the shores o Shetland?

Been to the Dales Voe pier and Broonies Taing Pier and tried a few places aff the banks for Pilticks, Cod, Congers etc. Just wondering where folk have been catching at?

Cheers

#2 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

Leighton, one of the most successful places I've fished was actually off the Burra brig! Its generally mackarel and pilticks there but certainly in my youth there was an abundance of fish aff there.

#3 MaxFusion

MaxFusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

aye, blacksness pier was always a good stop off...scorpions, poor cod, mackerel, flatties(if you're lucky)
the Cliffs o Cunningsburgh is not too bad, mostly Mackerel cod n piltiks there
Lunna for some deeps close in, Cuckoo wrasse, cod, piltiks, olicks..good range o fish there...head up the grutwick track for the best places

and there's always the loch o hellister in Weisdale, cod flukes n piltiks a plenty ;)
or if you're feeling fit head for Stavaness in North nesting, large salt loch with quite a few monsters hiding out :)

#4 flawsey4

flawsey4

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for all dat.

MaxFusion, is all dat just fished we lures and spinners? Any bait fishing going on?

I was thinking aboot da Cliffs o Cunningsburgh. Likely just work alang the whole o da Cliffs to fin a good spot.

#5 MaxFusion

MaxFusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

tbh I used to drag a whole assortment of lures, spinners and baits around with me altho I don't bother at da cliffs...spinners/lures are probs all you'd need there, altho a beachcaster and a string of flies works well there to ;)
the best place to fish there is just below the viewpoint opposit the skerries and maybe a wee bit further south because of the weed. Don't let anything settle there or you'll lose it ;)

At lunna, baits close in for the olicks and wrasse
spin deep or drop some feathers for most everything else
and if you catch a wee mackerel for bait you can be almost assured of a blind hoe or 2 but only really with the freshest of bait :)

Hellister is good for spinning or baits, drop a bait in there and you're gonna catch pilticks...no smaller than 3lb anyway ;)

tight lines!

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

At the Cliffs o Cunningsburgh, the best spot is due southeast from the layby.
There are some good rock ledges with high tide, and with low tide there is a rather obvious stone which sticks out a little bit, and is a favourite spot for sillocks. I can't remember the name of the stone, but ask any of the older Cunningsburgh folk and they'll know the one I mean.
That stone is where I got 16 score of sillocks one night.. my personal best. :D

Further north towards the Mail Sand, there is a reasonable chance of a trout at the right time of year, but not much else.

PS. Flawsey4, the stone I mentioned is easier to get onto than Kilderbroch. :wink:

#7 kinvara

kinvara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Well i mind back in my day flawsy that the old brae postoffice pier was a good place for most things, mabee do should try it there, if du dus na get anything du can get back tae me, and i will sha dee a few different places.

#8 flawsey4

flawsey4

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

:lol:

Sounds like an offer Kinvara!! I'll likely be wandering aboot a few places to try and fin a few fish.

#9 Marooned in Maywick

Marooned in Maywick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

I'll likely be wandering aboot a few places to try and fin a few fish.

Boy!!

HMFC and Maywick - the unbeatable combination :lol:

http://www.havra.co....dmadefish.shtml

#10 JAStewart

JAStewart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Oot the back of the Hurds in burra. The Muckle Baa is there and its an awesome place to catch nearly onything.

Piltocks, Cod, Gruinters, Mackeral.

#11 ll

ll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:29 AM

Are they still getting a lot of fish off Blacksess pier at Scalloway?

Quite often see ones along the deepwater berth and around where the Gemini was- what specie do you catch there?

#12 sulphuryt

sulphuryt

• Social Media Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

Me mate his hayd some success at hoswick beach

#13 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

Whit wis he catchin at Hoswick, and whit tackle wis he usin? Or mibee dat's a trade secret ;-)