• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Traffic restrictions on Commercial Street

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

Quite some time since the restrictions meant to prevent driving on the Street for most of the working (thats to say shopping) day were introduced. Seems to me that every time I am on the Street during the restricted hours I see at least one vehicle that is not exempted from the rules. Question I would like answered is just how many drivers have faced prosecution or a fixed penalty since the scheme was introduced. Surely it is not a big Zero?.

#2 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

I bet that it is.

I can understand the Police not wanting to go out of the station though. Except for doughnuts of course.

:D

#3 Tomblands

Tomblands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

What are the rules exactly?

Disabled drivers are allowed along after 10am. Is that it?

I used to drive for a food wholesalor and if I had to deliver to anywhere along the street from the Cross to the Fort I would use Harrison Square or that general area before carrying the stuff up the lanes. The only exception to this was on a Friday when Osla's and Max got their massive orders which would have taken too long to carry up the lanes.

I even remember one day seeing the Police walking towards me and I was assuming I was going to get a talking to, but they just walked by.

Are there exceptions for deliveries too?

There was one point last summer the Police were stopping cars outside Solottis asking why they were on the street. There must have been a fair amount of boy racers looking to "use the bank machine" that day.

#4 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

I believe that between 11 am and 5.30 pm, disabled badge holders are the only vehicles allowed on the street, between the Market cross and the fort chip shop. No exeptions for deliveries.

I think there is access allowed between Sollotis and the cross as there is parking in front of the bank. I'll check the signs next time i'm there and correct myself if i'm wrong.

#5 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

As far as I know the stretch from the cross to the fort chip shop is meant to be for pedestrians and disabled between 11 and 5.30 while the stretch from Slottis to the cross is for access only.

I think the words "access only" and "pedestrians only" need to be reinforced by a few court cases so that people get the general idea of what they can or cant do.

Perhaps the issue of disabled permits needs looking at. Currently there are some drivers who abuse the system either by driving in a restricted area or parking in a disabled parking bay when the disabled person is not in the car.