Airport Security

Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?

• yes
    • no

What I would advise you single mums to do, when travelling on your own is to ask the check-in person to take you through security first before calling the flight. There is a system in place for these requiring special assistance. That way it'll be everyone else who is holding you up!

I tried this the last time I was travelling to Aberdeen with my youngest daughter who has additional support needs. Right enough they came and asked us to go through early, but wouldn't wait for her to switch from watching video to going to plane. The result was that I nearly didn't get on the plane as she went into 'I will not be moved' mode.

She is nearly as big as me and doesn't have the same restraint on how hard she fights as most people. If we had been able to do things more gradually the situation wouldn't have arisen.

I did try to explain, but explaining and trying to move a big child and trying to calm her down at the same time and staying calm yourself isn't easy...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the report.

fine to reduce security. except it would cause a problem for receiving airports e.g. Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow. They would need a separate arrivals hall for "unclean" passengers and baggage.

Additionally jetsetters wouldn't be able to send their baggage onwards as it wouldn't meet International/London/Edinburgh/Aberdeen standards. meaning to claim and re-check at the next airport.

Extending the airport hours further would need an additional shift of firemen. air traffic, and all other staff including security, and I imagine that we've hit the ceiling for numbers already and there is ample room to expand during the 14 hours the airport is already open- with a huge 3 hour gap in activity at mid-day. so an own goal there then.

seems like hiring the consultants was another waste of money!

Well, i'm skimmed through this thread folks, and i can understand why most people get irate. I do, getting the full works, travelling through the airport where i work... As security.

Profiling is something that is, or at least should be done, the whole time. Using common sense when deciding what can and can't go. Should a parent check go for a early flight with a child, consideration should be given for the little's routine be out of sorts.

As for shetland people being able to bypass security, stupid idea. (and this is my own opinion so apologies if offence is taken)

A "terrorist" is not just someone hell bent on taking lives. They could be just out to cause disruption, delays or just to cause a company any kind of loss.

I do however agree with the thoughts on sumburgh security, but just try to think about the fact its just a job. We all have to make ends meat, and a lot of the time we aren't paid enough for the abuse we take for just doing that job. It's no different to any other job where you may have to say no to someone for what ever reason.

Apologies for my rambling, it's one of the things i'm good at.

Here is the regulations. There is no need for testing/tasting of baby milk...... I am flying at xmas and will give a copy of the regulations to security if they ask me to taste my babies milk or go over there guidelines as set out.

Important Information on Traveling With Formula, Breast Milk, and Juice

Traveling With Children

Now, a mother flying without her child will be able to bring breast milk through the checkpoint, provided it is declared prior to screening.

TSA is also modifying the rules associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with, and now without, their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.

Breast milk is in the same category as liquid medications.

When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

When traveling with your infant or toddler, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary, if you perform the following:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.

Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.

Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination.

You are allowed to bring gel or liquid-filled teethers, canned, jarred, or processed baby food in your carry-on baggage and aboard your plane.

For information on creams, medicines, or other essential items for your child, please read our guidance on these items. Click here for the list of permitted and prohibited items.

Liquids and gels, including baby formula, breast milk, or juice, may be packed in your luggage and checked with your airline.

After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

For more details on navigating the screening process with your children, please read our information on traveling with children.

Sorry thats the US version but i'm flying to the states anyway....

Baby food and baby milk

You are allowed to take baby food, baby milk and sterilised water in your hand baggage. This includes:

soya milk for babies

sterilised water for the baby (must be in a baby bottle)

formula, breast milk or cow milk specifically for babies

baby food of various consistencies

You are allowed to take enough for the journey. In some cases this may be over 100ml. The adult carrying the baby food or milk may be asked to verify it by tasting.

So in the UK they can ask you to taste it but in Security ridden USA they don't go figure....

The following is taken from the Department for Transport website, which is applicable at all UK airports

Baby food and baby milk

You are allowed to take baby food, baby milk and sterilised water in your hand baggage. This includes:

* soya milk for babies

* sterilised water for the baby (must be in a baby bottle)

* formula, breast milk or cow milk specifically for babies

* baby food of various consistencies

You are allowed to take enough for the journey. In some cases this may be over 100ml. The adult carrying the baby food or milk may be asked to verify it by tasting.

Heres the UK rules going by what http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/AirtravelintheUK/DG_078179 say. i've found a couple of other transport websites. i'll look them out and post on here

Baby food and baby milk

soya milk for babies

sterilised water for the baby (must be in a baby bottle)

formula, breast milk or cow milk specifically for babies

baby food of various consistencies

Heres flybe's baggage rules

Question :

Can I take liquid's on my Flybe flight e.g Drinks, Baby Food, perfume etc ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer :

You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each.

You must pack these containers in one transparent,

re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one litre capacity per passenger.

At the airport:

To help screeners detect liquids, you must:

• present all liquids carried to the screeners at security checkpoints for examination;

• take off your jacket and/or coat. They will

be screened separately whilst you are screened;

• remove laptop computers and other large electrical

devices from your hand luggage. They will

be screened separately whilst you are screened.

You can still:

• pack liquids in bags that you check in – the new rules only affect hand luggage;

• carry in your hand luggage medicines and dietary requirements, including baby foods, for use during the trip. You may be asked for proof that they are needed;• buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes either in an EU airport shop when located beyond the point where you show your boarding pass or on board an aircraft operated by an EU airline. If they are sold in a special sealed bag, do not open it before you are screened otherwise the contents may be confiscated at the checkpoint.

(If you transfer at an EU airport, do not open the bag before screening at your airport of transfer, or at the last one if you transfer more than once).

All these liquids are additional to the quantities in the re-sealable plastic bag mentioned above.

If you have any doubts, please ask your airline or travel agent in advance of travel.

Please be courteous and cooperate with airport security and airline staff.

Liquids include:

• water and other drinks, soups, syrups

• creams, lotions and oils

• perfumes

• sprays

• gels, including hair and shower gels

• contents of pressurised containers,

including shaving foam, other foams

and deodorants

• pastes, including toothpaste

• liquid-solid mixtures

• mascara

• any other item of similar consistency

fine to reduce security. except it would cause a problem for receiving airports e.g. Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow. They would need a separate arrivals hall for "unclean" passengers and baggage.

Why would that not simply be the airport terminal itself. You would just need to go through security again if you were travelling onwards. They already seem to do that at Terminal 5 which was built with the current security regulations in mind. Last time I came through there from a european airport, we were chanelled back through security which wasn't the case heading out as we had come from a UK airport

Additionally jetsetters wouldn't be able to send their baggage onwards as it wouldn't meet International/London/Edinburgh/Aberdeen standards. meaning to claim and re-check at the next airport.

I don't see why they need to relax the system with luggage and just carry on as they are now checking your baggage on to wherever your final destination is.

Extending the airport hours further would need an additional shift of firemen. air traffic, and all other staff including security, and I imagine that we've hit the ceiling for numbers already and there is ample room to expand during the 14 hours the airport is already open- with a huge 3 hour gap in activity at mid-day. so an own goal there then.

Can't pick you up on that one! :)

You do seem to know more about the workings of an Airport than I do, but i'd be interested to know if my suggestions are workable.

The emphasis in this thread seems to be that Sumburgh security are over the top. Sumburgh security staff do not set the guidelines, the guidelines come from the DFT. Sumburgh security staff merely carry out their jobs as set by afore said DFT.

These rules have been in place for several years, about how much liquids etc you are able to carry, so why are people STILL complaining? Yes, it is an inconvenience, but do you remember 9/11, and all those innocent people that died?

I would rather be inconvenienced for 5 or 10 minutes or however long it takes to get through security than let that happen again.

What is more important here? The longest flight from here to the mainland is an hour and a half, how many bottles of milk/juice/pots of yogurt does one child need for an hour and a half? .

Some may say that there is no need for the high security level here, on a small island, but how do you really know? Terrorism can come from anyone, anywhere

I appreciate some of you may not agree with my opinion, but thats all it is, my opinion.

so why are people STILL complaining?

i'm quite happy to get my bag and things checked but i'm complaining because i was well within the guidelines and was told by a member of security that there is no way my daughter could eat what i had packed because the staff members grandchildren dont eat that much.

how does she know what my daughter eats!!! i packed enough to feed her on the plane and altogether i had less that 400ml (when i could've had a litres worth of stuff) and i was delayed 2 hours. which going by the regulations is acceptable so i should'nt have been made to feel the way i did. i should've just gone through security, had my bag etc searched and on my way. but instead they were like 'we'll let you off this time' like i'd done something wrong

i was that flustered that i told security to take her bottle of water. so i then had no water for her

The longest flight from here to the mainland is an hour and a half, how many bottles of milk/juice/pots of yogurt does one child need for an hour and a half? .

How many times do you hear of folk getting to aberdeen/edinburgh and sumburgh then turning back because of mist or they cant land. more so at this time of year

a family member had their baby in aberdeen and that very thing happened. that could mean for a new baby 2 feeds in that amount of time. My friends son had 11 bottles of milk a day till recently.

If you've ever flown with a baby you know you need to be prepared. Sumburgh isn't like edinburgh airport where you can just nip into boots and buy some baby essentials should a delay occur.

Most mothers like to be organised. not just for themselves but for the other passangers. Especially when the planes are so small and you cant really walk up and down the isle when the baby is crying or fidgity. My cure for my daughter is slowlyg feeding her on the plane as that keeps her quiet, hence being prepared with plenty food and nibbles.