Quarries and buildings at Aith Voe, Bressay

joenorth

Just been for a trip to Bressay. Had an enjoyable walk around Aith Voe, and briefly explored the pretty extensive remains of what was obviously a good-going quarrying venture sometime in the past. There appears to be remains of a railway, a pier, and various foundations for machinery for processing stone. Thought I'd ask about the place in the Heritage Centre, but it was unfortunately closed at that time.

Does anyone have any info. on this past industry?

i wis dere durin da summer, an i was telt part o it wis a fishin station as weel as da quarryin venture. no idea whit age it is, or how far back in time da quarryin goes. wid be interestin t fin oot. an whar wis da stone used? i assume becis o da pier dat it wis shipped oot, mebbe t da toon. i suppose tho, bein whaar it is, aa da stone wid need t be shipped oot whaarever it wis bein used.

About 5/6years ago, Bressay History group undertook a detailed survey of the coast line of Bressay in order to record all buildings/archeological remains etc. A copy of the report is in the Lerwick Library (reference section) and it contains a lot of info and photographs of the developments at Aiths Voe. The fishmeal factory closed in 1930 and apparently it produced so much pollution that it affected the quality of the fish in the Voe.

It is certainly and interesting walk with the factory, broch, quarrying, WW1 remains etc.

Many thanks to you all for your info. I'll check out the paper in the library. It certainly is an interesting area for a stroll. I'll be going back on my own, so I have freedom to hock around at my leisure (this trip I was accompanied by my wife, who is not much interested in looking at "bruck", historical or otherwise).

• 6 years later...

Many thanks to you all for your info. I'll check out the paper in the library. It certainly is an interesting area for a stroll. I'll be going back on my own, so I have freedom to hock around at my leisure (this trip I was accompanied by my wife, who is not much interested in looking at "bruck", historical or otherwise).

The benkled wee house at the foot of Charlotte Street (south side) if you look up at it, it's very old, nothing square about it, and the roof is (to this day) covered with Bressa slates.