Schools Closure

sharalee99

Staff don't get the days 'off' anyway - they're expected to work from home if it's not safe for them to make the journey into school. Teaching staff can, under the McCrone agreement, choose to work from home if the school is closed to pupils.

Try telling Aberdeenshire Council. A few rather worried teachers during their last few feet of snow. I kind of go by the if the snow is drifting higher than the car it isn't worth it, but apparently not so Aberdeenshire council.

Kind of puts our wee bit of snow to shame.

Talking about Aberdeenshire Council maybe they've got the right idea when it comes to lesser amounts of snow, many of the schools are open to those who can make it under their own steam when the bus companies refuse to run school transport.

And strangely enough no one sues them!

Try telling Aberdeenshire Council. A few rather worried teachers during their last few feet of snow. I kind of go by the if the snow is drifting higher than the car it isn't worth it, but apparently not so Aberdeenshire council.

Kind of puts our wee bit of snow to shame.

Teachers do NOT make the decision to not open the schools. If because of weather, a teacher can not make it to their own school under their agreement they must report to their nearest school. Most teachers, myself included, will do their utmost to get to the school. Coupla weeks ago I set off to school in a proper blizzard. Took me 4 times the length of time to get there only for the school to be closed. Myself and the other teachers that had made it in took work home with them.

Most of the Aberdeenshire secondary schools are based in towns - Inverurie, Ellon, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, etc. Our rural schools have a higher proportion of pupils being bussed in.

If only a small minorty make it into a school that is partly open, it does not save any time. The teacher then has to go over the work again for the majorty that missed it. Having been in schools that are only partly open, proper teaching is not done - the majority of the pupils are not there nor are a lot of the staff.

The towns you have mentioned are indeed large, low lying and quite close to the sea, so less affected by snow. Was thinking more up in the rurals, where folk have to travel through serious snow.

Just had so many toonies complaining about how their children are missing out on important time before their exams. On Northsound you'd often hear that the Academy's were open for children studying for their mocks.

Nothing quite like having a school that begins with W you really do have to wait through the whole announcement.

Guest Anonymous

When me and Oddrun saw the notice of the school closures this morning she just muttered something like:

"We just got our skis on" :lol:

It took me a while to explain that Shetland blizzards are a damned sight worse than the soft, gentle, calm, snow that we get in west Norway.

However, it did make me wonder what the average British child would think these days about having to put on skis, or make any serious effort, to get to school.

Likely I'd agree with most of them when it comes to school and make some excuse like; "My skis ran out of fuel". :lol: