The Most Depressing Place In Britain.

JAStewart

My one abiding memory of Birmingham is stumbling off an all-night bus there at about 7 in the morning to the sounds of 'Making your mind up' by Bucks Fizz echoing round the deserted bus-station. Sums the place up.

This was only four or five years ago, like.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one abiding memory of Birmingham is stumbling off an all-night bus there at about 7 in the morning to the sounds of 'Making your mind up' by Bucks Fizz echoing round the deserted bus-station. Sums the place up.

That's it I'm going - i love Bucks Fizz

My camera never lies anymore

... come on join in on the chorus

I know I'm stuck in the 80's, but Bucks Fizz would definitely be too much for me. :? However, if it were G 'n' R playing instead, B'min'am *might* just seem a little nicer (spaghetti junction excepted, of course)

I was in Birmingham a couple of years ago and I thought it was alright – not particularly different to any other large British city.

Sam is quite right in what he says – anywhere can be good or bad depending on your circumstances and the stage of life you are at. Long summer days, good local amenities and internal transport links, strong community spirit and family ties, a sense of belonging, a clean environment, a slow pace of life, low crime and relatively low unemployment and high wages are the pluses of Shetland. Long, dark, dreich winters, narrow minded attitudes, less choice in things to buy and places to go out, isolation and lack of a wider variety of employment can be the negatives. The bottom line is that some people see the former as being their priorities, some the latter.

It is a shame that there seem to be so many folk who feel that they are stuck in Shetland and want to get out – my initial reaction is to say to anyone to do it instead of just moaning – you can always go back if things don’t work after all. I can understand the financial implications though and that taking that step on your own must be daunting if you’re not going away to university or college. You only live once though.

You have to marvel at Shetlands peculiar offerings.

Yesterday i took the bike for a run to Eshaness, iPod blaring in me lugs, warm tarmac under my tyres. People i've never met waving at me, just because it's a beautiful day and your cruising on your 'hog', i was delighted at how many cars pulled in to let me cruise on by, i hardly stopped once in 30 miles, as if they instinctively knew it would be a crime to break the flow of your drive. Goodness incarnate. Arrived at Eshaness and kept me windproofs on for walking, but pretty soon had to take them off because it was so warm. Found a lovely spot i've never noticed before at the bottom of the cliffs, sitting next to a big rockpool with a waterfall behind me, getting sunburnt in April! Absolutely brilliant, nowhere nicer in the world.

Today? it's grey, very, very windy and it's just started raining!!!!

But days like yesterday tend to erase the crap weather from your memory, and today seems like a peculiarity, when in actual fact it is the other way round.

Living in mediocrity is worse than extremes. We might have many downsides up here, but they are balanced out with the appreciative upsides.

Plus brummies have a terrible accent :P

What bike do you ride Njugle?
I detect an off topic tangent! Just a wee reminder about Ye Olde Motorbike thread over in "Anything & everything else" :wink:

You joined the Tangent Police then PB :D :wink: :D

There's none preaches so holy as the converted. If he really is converted and this is not kettle the pot black calling. :wink:

Ahem anyway, in a feeble attempt to get back on topic, can anyone name anything good that came out of "Broom-oy" land "loyk", (apart from the moment the Bucks fizz lasses ripped off their skirts in "making your mind up")