• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

The Most Depressing Place In Britain.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

You have to marvel at Shetlands peculiar offerings.

Yesterday i took the bike for a run to Eshaness, iPod blaring in me lugs, warm tarmac under my tyres. People i've never met waving at me, just because it's a beautiful day and your cruising on your 'hog', i was delighted at how many cars pulled in to let me cruise on by, i hardly stopped once in 30 miles, as if they instinctively knew it would be a crime to break the flow of your drive. Goodness incarnate. Arrived at Eshaness and kept me windproofs on for walking, but pretty soon had to take them off because it was so warm. Found a lovely spot i've never noticed before at the bottom of the cliffs, sitting next to a big rockpool with a waterfall behind me, getting sunburnt in April! Absolutely brilliant, nowhere nicer in the world.
Today? it's grey, very, very windy and it's just started raining!!!!

But days like yesterday tend to erase the crap weather from your memory, and today seems like a peculiarity, when in actual fact it is the other way round.
Living in mediocrity is worse than extremes. We might have many downsides up here, but they are balanced out with the appreciative upsides.

Plus brummies have a terrible accent :P

#22 petergear

petergear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Plus brummies have a terrible accent :P

Yes. Pleepsing. Poor buggers

#23 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

What bike do you ride Njugle?

#24 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5902 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

I detect an off topic tangent! Just a wee reminder about Ye Olde Motorbike thread over in "Anything & everything else" :wink:

#25 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2135 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

I detect an off topic tangent! Just a wee reminder about Ye Olde Motorbike thread over in "Anything & everything else" :wink:

You joined the Tangent Police then PB :D :wink: :D

#26 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

You joined the Tangent Police then PB :D :wink: :D

There's none preaches so holy as the converted. If he really is converted and this is not kettle the pot black calling. :wink:

Ahem anyway, in a feeble attempt to get back on topic, can anyone name anything good that came out of "Broom-oy" land "loyk", (apart from the moment the Bucks fizz lasses ripped off their skirts in "making your mind up")

#27 Lowrie

Lowrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Black Sabbath..............erm.............that's it really.

#28 NewMagnie

NewMagnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

In the words of Bugs Bunny:

"Of course you know, dis means war!"

Sawn off tushkars at the ready, we assemble at Holmsgarth at 0600 tomorrow. Bring a fresh boiler suit and three days rations.

#29 vailron

vailron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

not sure where shetland health board get their figures from regarding depression, nearly everyone i speak to at work is on anti depressants, this is more than the national average

#30 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5902 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

nearly everyone i speak to at work is on anti depressants

Could it be that your job is depressing?! :wink:

#31 Wheesht

Wheesht

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

nearly everyone i speak to at work is on anti depressants

Could it be that your job is depressing?! :wink:

Na na min, he/she works at the chemist and they have a big box full they sit on in the tea room.

#32 Marvin

Marvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Ahem anyway, in a feeble attempt to get back on topic, can anyone name anything good that came out of "Broom-oy" land "loyk", (apart from the moment the Bucks fizz lasses ripped off their skirts in "making your mind up")

SLADE!!!

#33 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1231 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

not sure where shetland health board get their figures from regarding depression, nearly everyone i speak to at work is on anti depressants, this is more than the national average

Just to attempt to put some balance into your statement. I honestly cant think of anyone I know who has ever taken anti depressants to my knowledge. I appreciate that many people wouldnt go shouting it from the rooftops, but 'nearly everyone' seems a pretty high figure to me.

#34 pert

pert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

I believe that the national average is 'some folk'.

#35 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

Well, their city name had it's uses in making a late 70's Barron Knights' parody song work, but beyond that they've aways seemed pretty superfluous to me. 8)

#36 pert

pert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

.....he filled my teeth with iron.

#37 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

.....he filled my teeth with iron.

Keep goin.....I canna mind the rest. :oops:

I just mind a few priceless moments from the Video....The bit that accompanied the line........".....to the right"......."NO! The right!!, was particularly memorable.

That says something for my sense of humour I suppose. :?

#38 pert

pert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:27 PM

All I can recall is:

There's a dentist in Birmingham,
He fixed my mouth,
And when I went to sleep,
He filled my teeth with iron.

I remember, as a child, sitting by a single speaker tape recorder and becoming rapidly tired of it. I had no idea a video had been made.

Some of the things which stick in my head truly terrify me.

Boney-m, y'all

#39 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Some of the things which stick in my head truly terrify me.

It's a common affliction, I think we all suffer from it. :?

My only abiding memory of it is seeing it on Top of the Pops on the hostel TV (I think it was the hostel anyway), an activity which only happened as a last resort when the weather was too bad for hanging around the street, or heading across to Isleburgh. If my memory serves, that would have been 78/79.....God, I feel old now. :cry:

#40 vailron

vailron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

i work within nhs shetland