• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

The Most Depressing Place In Britain.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#46 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

I see this Birmingham vs Shetland broo-haa-haa has made it into "The Sunday Times" (well, the online version at least)

Brummies eat humble pie over Shetland slur

Here's my favourite quotes

SHETLAND has declared war on Birmingham

[Casemore said] he was sure he would get a warm welcome when he visits the island again later this year.

#47 Ally

Ally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

The original Brum articlle reads to me like little more than a vain attempt by some bored journo to try and liven up an otherwise dull story with a bit of sensationalism and some out-of-context quotes.

Having said that, i think the Alistair Carmichael quote from the times website article PeerieBryan pointed out makes it all worth it :

“The Birmingham Post is wise to apologise, given that this is the city that gave us Spaghetti Junction, the Bullring and Crossroads... It has been said that people who live in glasshouses shouldn’t throw stones. The same is clearly true of those who live in the more unattractive concrete structures in the Midlands of England.”

#48 trout

trout

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6453 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

I know! What a great comment from Alistair ... I had to chuckle when I read that :lol:

#49 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

There's an article about the Birminghah Post debacle on the BBC news site today

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/4757111.stm

Apparenty some Birmingham Post hacks are going to get a jolly up to Shetland to write a more "informed" piece about Shetland

"The idea is, having caused this rumpus, to pay a visit to Shetland, experience the island, come back and write an informed piece on what it's really like up there - which will hopefully redress the balance."

#50 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2168 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

There's an article about the Birminghah Post debacle on the BBC news site today

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/4757111.stm

Apparenty some Birmingham Post hacks are going to get a jolly up to Shetland to write a more "informed" piece about Shetland

"The idea is, having caused this rumpus, to pay a visit to Shetland, experience the island, come back and write an informed piece on what it's really like up there - which will hopefully redress the balance."

I heard next week's article will be how bad the Caribbean is .....

... anything for a freebie.

Just don't mention the criminally poor dental service here :oops:

#51 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9114 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

Best get them here and away again then before those CCTV cameras are installed on the street, they *might* just overlook being sniffed all over by a druggie dog, as only dogs can do. But, if there are eyes in the sky tracking their ever step along the street as well, they may well start comparing us to to some drug and crime ridden downmarket inner city neighbourhood.

#52 Njugle

Njugle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6910 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

I'm hoping they arrive this weekend, 'cos i'm led to beleive it might snow, whilst they are being beaten up by the now officially designated gangs, after paying a kings ransom to get here, hopefully via the northlink adventure.

i could go on, but sarcasm is unbecoming :wink:

#53 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Here's a link to relevant video and an audio broadcasts from the BBC website

Click here for video & audio links

One guy says in the audio broadcast, "Shetland is the best place in the world, all we need is better weather. Everything else is perfect!" :wink:

#54 wally jumblat

wally jumblat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

It is excellent having people on national TV praising Shetland.

The longer this story keeps running, the better.

#55 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5910 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

...the story rumbles on...

Birmingham hack to visit isles this summer

It looks like Visitshetland is paying for the Birmingham Post reporter to come up

VisitShetland boss Andy Steven is organising for reporter Shahid Naqvi to come to Shetland in the summer

The original, very negative, article seems to have generated a lot of positive media coverage

National media have followed up the story ever since The Shetland Times published an apology from the Birmingham Post in last week's Our Readers' Views letters page.

The Sunday Times was the first to follow-up the story, followed by Monday's Daily Express.

BBC Radio Scotland, BBC Scotland, Grampian Television, and the Press Association have all since featured the story, giving free publicity for the Shetland Islands.

#56 Jay_Corolla

Jay_Corolla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

That guy on the front page of The Shetland Times today "as a response to what the English guy wrote" was taking it too far.. it isnt that warm!!

#57 Jay_Corolla

Jay_Corolla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

To be honest, i'm embarassed by it all! It just seems now a desperate attempt for Shetland to get some media attention and they've milked it all for what it's worth!

#58 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2168 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

To be honest, i'm embarassed by it all! It just seems now a desperate attempt for Shetland to get some media attention and they've milked it all for what it's worth!

And these things can backfire as is proven by those that promoted themselves in the media only to be shot down by the media later.

#59 Guest_perrie-lipper_*

Guest_perrie-lipper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

I think any media is good media.

Marketing is a tool to extend product life cycles in new markets, as everyone knows Shetland is a niche market, and I for one customer in Shetland expect and demand global coverage irrespective of some peoples personal and sometimes misinformed opinions, to move forward for a stronger local economy and a better future bring on the Media battle, via radio TV or any other channel deemed to grad the attention of ears willing to listen.

#60 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2168 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

I think any media is good media.

Marketing is a tool to extend product life cycles in new markets, as everyone knows Shetland is a niche market, and I for one customer in Shetland expect and demand global coverage irrespective of some peoples personal and sometimes misinformed opinions, to move forward for a stronger local economy and a better future bring on the Media battle, via radio TV or any other channel deemed to grad the attention of ears willing to listen.

The first thing that I noticed when I came here was the resistence to change. Invite the rest of the world in and some will get wealthier, but the place will change. You have to decide whether the change will be worth the price that will inevitably be paid.

There was a woman on Big Brother (I think) called something Goodie. Does anyone remember her? Dreadful woman expertly marketed. Wherever you looked there she was. Good marketing for her, but not for me.

People keep ringing me up. The post office keeps dropping junk mail through my door. They are all trying to sell me stuff. Stuff that I am not interested in, stuff that I haven't requested. If they include a pre-paid envelope I like to send it back to them with a telephone directory attached (for the weight). I add a note to say, thank you for your rubbish, please have some of mine. I never buy from these companies. I am quite capable of deciding what i want to buy and from whom without the "help" of all of these companies and their "clever" marketing people.

This is an example of good marketing from my point of view. A friend of mine goes to the Subaru garage and is looking at one of the used cars. The salesman comes out and has a chat with the potential buyer. In the end the salesman hands the keys to the buyer and says "off you go, try it out for the weekend, see what you think". The buyer buys the car on Monday morning. He tells people, people tell people. Brilliant! No leaflets, no unwanted phone calls, just a happy customer and a load more lined up behind them.