Holidays reviews of Shetland

niceday

From yesterday's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/country/article/0,,1767954,00.html

"...So where are the best places to head for this summer?...

2 The Shetland Islands

"The absolutely in place at the moment is Shetland," says Bob Macbeth, publisher of Travel GBI. "It's got the freshest air in Britain, bags of Viking history and great abbeys. The people are friendly, you can get back to nature, and it has the finest lamb you've ever tasted." Shetland is very proud of its indigenous breed of sheep, which have horns, short tails and double coats. They are small, hardy and very wild - so approach with care. The islands - which number around 100, of which only 15 are inhabited - have a population of 22,000. The numbers have barely increased over the past 200 years, and in the summer people are outnumbered 10 to one by puffins, which make Shetland their home from mid-April to mid-August. The islands have 900 miles of coastline, 138 beaches and 6,080 archaeological sites dating back as far as the Stone Age. Shetland is about to get direct flights from Stansted, but don't tell the stag parties."

Not sure I have ever seen an Abbey in Shetland, are there any? Also not sure stag parties would find it that interesting!

Good to see some positive publicity from the UK national press though, can't hurt.

While I don't like to knock anyone who's talking up Shetland, poor old Bob Macbeth either has never been to Shetland or is a bit odd.

Even with the best will in the world nobody is going to be all that inspired by your atypical Shetland Parish 'abbey'. Last time I looked at the Brae Kirk I was mildly underwhelmed.

And I'm surprised he's latched on to the Shetland breed of sheep as a major tourist magnet. Is this really one of our strongest selling points?

As for the stag thing, I would contend the beer halls of Prague still have the edge in terms of splendour and cheapness over the delights of Da Wheel Bar. But maybe I'm just being defeatist.

The islands.......have a population of 22,000.......and in the summer people are outnumbered 10 to one by puffins, which make Shetland their home from mid-April to mid-August.

Is nobody going to mention the 220,000 puffins??!!!

8O

• 2 weeks later...
This article appeared in yesterday's Sunday Times and thankfully, no mention of abbeys :-)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2100-2177404.html

Wow, the guy really 'got it' didn't he. I'm always keen to gush about the place, but that guy surpasses even my gushing. Wish i owned a guest house now, that kind of hype could buy you a range rover this summer. :wink: