Moving to Shetland

lizzie

Hello everyone,

I know you probably get bored of people saying they want to move to Shetland . . . . however, we do! Honest! We have been up once to view property and were coming up again weekend just gone when a Volcano erupted and ruined our fun (not that I blame it, I would too if all that hot lava was in me). I really go off on a tangeant! Sigh.

My question to everyone is about work. I hope that I will be ok as I am a nurse, but am happy to work in health and social care, however my partner is a fabricator and steel erector. Any sign of work for him? We did look at Sullom Voe but all doors seem to be closed unless you know someone. Anyway, I hope this finds you all well and happy take care, liz. x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

I know you probably get bored of people saying they want to move to Shetland . . . . however, we do! Honest! We have been up once to view property and were coming up again weekend just gone when a Volcano erupted and ruined our fun (not that I blame it, I would too if all that hot lava was in me). I really go off on a tangeant! Sigh.

My question to everyone is about work. I hope that I will be ok as I am a nurse, but am happy to work in health and social care, however my partner is a fabricator and steel erector. Any sign of work for him? We did look at Sullom Voe but all doors seem to be closed unless you know someone. Anyway, I hope this finds you all well and happy take care, liz. x

see

http://move.shetland.org/

You're lucky! Here I am, stuck in the States, wishing I could come up for a visit.

By the way, a few years ago I visited Stratford upon Avon. Beautiful town, very picturesque. I'm a big Shakespeare fan, so it was like a pilgrimage for me. :lol:

I'm new too, but welcome to the forums. :)

Welcome to Shetlink and Shetland (when you get here!)

Don't worry about the occasional negative comment - you can't impress all the people all the time! Shetland will treat you as well as you let it.

I would think that both you and your partner will find work. He may not find a job working for BP but could well end up working inside the gate of the terminal with one of the many contracting companies that keep the place running!

Hope all goes well with the move and hope you enjoy settling in.

Hiya and welcome!

I moved here 8 years ago, never having been before.I sorted my accommodation over the phone. I brought with me the contents of a transit van and my 2 children.

I got a job within 6 weeks of being here, and have never looked back.

I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

(Besides which, I picked up a husband along the way too! A Local man!)

The kids love it, and the majority of people are very welcoming.

Good luck if you decide to come

(I think you should)

:D

Hi, just be careful. For every person who moves here there are those who are leaving having discovered that Shetland isn't the utopia that it's often presented as.

Ok, you've visited and seen Shetland but that's not living here and if I had a pound for every person who's made the move after a holiday or having watched a tv programme only to discover that life here isn't what they thought it would be......

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm just trying to bring a little bit of balance to the issue because you often won't find that on here!.

:)

Welcome to Shetlink and Shetland (when you get here)

I came here 3yrs ago and dont regret a moment of it...As someone said you get out of Shetland what you put into it...Good luck with the house hunting You cant live in a better place

Thank you to you all for your comments. I think Gavva that we want a more peaceful way of life. Somewhere that children can run around free without having to worry. The minute we got out of Birmingham airport people were swearing at us and beeping their horns at us. Nope, we were not being numpty drivers!!! The attitude of people here is not great, I think for the most part people are good and kind, but they get bogged down in all lifes negatives. It seems to be a theme. Everybody seems so happy to see people fail. So Shetland for us is our little piece of heaven. Simple as.

Twerto thank you for your links. Malakoff we already tried, but we will try the others.

Sharalee99 well done on your courage! Plus check you out picking up a husband! Is there a specific shop?? Glad the kids love it.

Kavi Ugl! Behave. You nearly burst my bubble ;-). Andy has spent alot of time working away for long periods in the Channel Islands and he has warned me what island life is like. For my part, I was always hopping around different islands. The question is would we forgive ourselves if we didnt try? We would hate to be older and realise we wasted an opportunity. If it doesn't work c'est le vie. x

... we want a more peaceful way of life. Somewhere that children can run around free without having to worry.

Hmmm. You can certainly get that here, but be aware that Shetland is not all "Simon King" lah de da. Part of the character of the place is a habit for indulging to the extreme. Be aware that Shetland is a year round party zone, highly boozy and probably has proportionally more smackheads than any inner city.