Moving to Shetland

lizzie

Hi, just be careful. For every person who moves here there are those who are leaving having discovered that Shetland isn't the utopia that it's often presented as. :)

Very true, that is the position I am now in. It certainly is no one's fault!! It just is not for me..... but then you have your family and it will be easier for you to become part of the community with kids I imagine.

Good luck!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lizzie, welcome to da forum.

From the posts so far you'll already have gathered that Shetland is a place of variety both in attitudes and experiences. It is however a wonderful microcosm of all things involving both human nature and Mama-nature..... from the local plonkie to the "local" volcano, sublime weather to awesome storms etc.

EM touches on the extremes that people in Shetland can encounter. That wide spectrum is precisely why this place rocks (we call it the Auld Rock for a reason).

From an employment perspective you and your partner should be fine - the NHS are always on the look out for staff and Total are building a Gas Plant at Sullom over the next couple of years and Steel Erectors will be sought after for sure.

Get you and your family up here pronto and enjoy. You can always move on later.

if you can make it in summer you would be better placed to see what shetland has to offer.

there should be work either with the council which pays better or with the health board. another reason to get here soon before the budget gets spent. your husband should get work. just be aware that shetland is a lot bigger than most think. so if your planning to work in town it limits your housing options.

the kids will have loas of freedom and the schools are good. just don't expect shetland to be perfect its not. and if you decide to live in the country then you will need to adapt to a very diffrent lifestyle. it gets cold and wet so come prepared.

Ok, just one other point. A kid is a baby goat so many of you must have quite a number of baby goats as children.

The Shetland name for a child/children is bairn(s).

Please try and use it folks :roll:

On a lighter note as you say Lizzie you can but try it but just be warned - there are jerks and horn honkers here just like any other part of the world!.

:D

^ the word 'kid' is the common term for children in England and I am English. Although I have lived in Shetland for a fair few years I dont have the accent and to use words like bairns in an English accent just sounds wrong and fake to me. The children however have been bought up here and have a mixture of both accents from home and their friends and they use a lot of Shedland dialect naturally which I love, but thats my point it has to be natural IMO.

Ok, just one other point. A kid is a baby goat so many of you must have quite a number of baby goats as children.

On a lighter note as you say Lizzie you can but try it but just be warned - there are jerks and horn honkers here just like any other part of the world!.

what are you saying we are not permited to use our dilect. it would be a shame if people were expecte to conform.

Speighk proper

That's ridiculous to ask people to speak the local dialect - everyone should use words that they are comfortable with.

*yawn*

Before this thread goes off down a route of "can you speak dialect or not/are you a shetlander or not" use the search function and find the numerous threads that exist on these topics already.

Get back to topic at hand ;)

Welcome to Shetlink lizzie.

That's ridiculous to ask people to speak the local dialect - everyone should use words that they are comfortable with.

Yes, how stupid of me to ask people who live here to embrace Shetland's culture. I wasn't asking you to speak it rather write it.....and anyway what's wrong with even using the word children??.

:roll: