• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

The North Boat (Northlink ferries)

northlink

• Please log in to reply
2124 replies to this topic

Poll: Where should the North Boat dock? (446 member(s) have cast votes)

Where should the North Boat dock?

1. Aberdeen (222 votes [48.26%])

Percentage of vote: 48.26%

2. Rosyth (102 votes [22.17%])

Percentage of vote: 22.17%

3. Peterhead (11 votes [2.39%])

Percentage of vote: 2.39%

4. Barbados (125 votes [27.17%])

Percentage of vote: 27.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#226 manxman

manxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

More storms a brewin'

And here. A friend of mine is supposed to be sailing for the UK on Friday, and there's a fair chance the boat will be cancelled due to force ten winds.

#227 sheepshagger

sheepshagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

just been having a look at the forecast on here http://www.theyr.tv and the forecast dosen't look like it's getting over a force nine between now and saturday morning.
If they are going to cancel every sailing because of force 9 conditions they pretty much are admitting to running a summer service only.
yesterday at 5pm the forecast was worse and they were damn quick to announce a cancelation forcing folks to buy plane tickets that they now might not need.
Boats can and do regularly sail in force 10 gales as long as they are fit for purpose something the northlink boats clearly are not, its not much fun if your prone to see sickness, but you always have the choice not to sail.
We live in the north atlantic and are at the mercy of the weather any ship expected to work this route should be designed accordingly.
Any company wishing to run a service on this route should have experiance of the open sea not crossing the minch

#228 sassermaet

sassermaet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1345 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

^^Same for crossing the Pentland Firth - a shorter journey, but still supposed to be very dangerous...:?

#229 tlady

tlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

^^

Sheepshagger is that the same source for the forecast that you gave for Up Helly Aa night? ... :wink:

#230 crofter

crofter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

magicseaweed is offering northerly violent storm 11 for midday Friday http://magicseaweed....arts/1/wind/in/

#231 Medziotojas

Medziotojas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1716 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

Yeah why not sail in a force 9, 10, 11 or even a hurricane? ...and when the turd hits the fan?

Reality check, it might be a "lifeline" link but we can live--and have lived--without a boat seven days a week. Honestly, you can't blame Northlink for the weather, but you could possibly commend them for acting in the interest of public safety; however, I will not support them as far as photo ID is concerned.

#232 sheepshagger

sheepshagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

The point here is the ships are totaly unsuitable for the route they are sailing, ships that are up to the task have been plying the route safely if not always in comfort for years.
This is something that was understood by P&O and if it was understood by northlink why did they insist on building boats that only tick one of the boxes namely will the tourist be happy with it in the summer months.
I know hundreds of folk that live in the western isles and have yet to speak to one of them that is or ever was sattisfied with the service provided by calmac, the same company that masquerades as northlink, the same company that failed miserably to provide a lifeline service the first time round yet still managed to win the bid second time round.
The same company that still fails to provide a service in the winter months, or a cabin for locals in the summer months.
force 12 forecast stay ashore, force 9 I'm haulled nets in an 80ft boat so surely the north boats which are a hell of a lot bigger and should be designed with the location in mind can manage.
I've also spent a few nights on the clair where I've wished I hadn't been but not once was I ever worried for the ships safety, folk that really should of taken the crews advice and gone to their cabin, instead spewing all over the place is what pissed me of the most.

The forecast at 5pm tues was for force 7 and rain tue evening in lerwick, by 7pm the forecast had changed as the depression out in the atlantic had weakened considerably

#233 crofter

crofter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

force 12 forecast stay ashore, force 9 I'm haulled nets in an 80ft boat so surely the north boats which are a hell of a lot bigger and should be designed with the location in mind can manage.

Smallers boats will often fare better on the high seas than large ships (as I'm sure you already know...)

#234 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

sheepshagger wrote

know hundreds of folk that live in the western isles and have yet to speak to one of them that is or ever was sattisfied with the service provided by calmac, the same company that masquerades as northlink

Not quite true.......the Cal-mac of old provided reliable services to the Western Isles using vessels such as the Loch Seaforth and the Clansman. What I fear has happened is that both companies are now controlled by bankers rather than seamen.

#235 Mutton

Mutton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Sheepshagger's spot on.

I've been out in a number of force 11s over the years, including with Northlink when then started the route and sure there's a bit of movement, but at least they get you there. So long as you use your common sense you'll be fine.

If you don't want to sail, the answer is simple, rebook for another date.

But let the rest of us go!

#236 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

just been having a look at the forecast on here http://www.theyr.tv and the forecast dosen't look like it's getting over a force nine between now and saturday morning.

I subscribed to the theyr.tv website for a couple of years. In that time they very rarely forecast anything over force 9 but during that time there were many severe storms which hit force 11 or higher.
I used to think it was prudent to add a little bit on to their forecast.
So if they are saying 9, expect 11.
Having said that, theyr.tv is without a doubt the most accurate forecast available for normal weather.

#237 Medziotojas

Medziotojas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1716 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

I've been out in a number of force 11s over the years, including with Northlink when then started the route and sure there's a bit of movement, but at least they get you there.

...eventually :wink:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before in this thread, but the boat isn't always the problem. A few years ago I spent twenty-four hours on the boat in a storm which wasn't particularly uncomfortable, but most of that time was spent sitting outside Aberdeen harbour waiting for it to open.

#238 sheepshagger

sheepshagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

the Cal-mac of old provided reliable services to the Western isles

thats a new one on me, anybody with first hand knowledge care to comment

#239 tlady

tlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

I am just old enough to remember the boat coming twice a week into the "steamers pier" and our supplies from the mainland were always quoted be arriving on such and such a day .... "boat willing"

These old boats may have been better sea boats but they still only went out when it was sensible to do so!!

Just because we have a boat every day now, doesn't mean we should expect the captain and crew to risk life and limb to get us a loaf of bread
It is not going to kill us if they miss a day or two

As I've said before we have to have a healthy respect for the sea

#240 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

And the same people who are bitching about the boat not sailing, will be the first ones to condemn Northlink for sailing in conditions which are too extreme.
Some people just have to complain for the sake of it.
Maybe it's time these people changed their nappies, and realised that Northlink has to weigh the good against the bad of every situation. They'll never please all the people all of the time. They'll please some of the people some of the time. And certain people will never be pleased with anything.
:twisted:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: northlink