Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Guest Anonymous

i could have told them that for free as soon as we had our first run on the boat - especialy when the people who the boats if the life line service for had to lie on the floor as the beds were full or tourests

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I speak as a poor sailor BUT I have to think that if Aberdeen is not able to provide a good service for the north boats then we have to consider other ports.

And just to add a bit of fuel to the fire I travelled on the last St Claire before P&O got hold of her and it is my considered opinion that between the changeover from Brittany Ferries (as the Tregastel) and P&O (as the St Claire) that the standard of service declined.

Bear in mind that Peterhead doesnt have very good road, rail or air links for onward travel, and you really would to want to travel onwards if you landed in Peterhead!! :)

Rosyth is probably about 5 hours extra on the boat compared with 2 in a car from Aberdeen.

Maybe the threat of losing the Northlink/CalMac/V ships ferries will be all it takes to spur Aberdeen Harbour into spending some money to make it more suitable for them.

Guest Anonymous

Aberdeen to Rosyth is about 85 miles, a little over 3 hours at 24 knots and you miss out that terrible A90 for the start of the onward bit. I know that the hauliers would prefer not to have to drive the A90 when delivering goods to the isles. Rosyth is pretty well on the motorway network for those travelling onwards, and Edinburgh is a much better place than Aberdeen for the shopaholics. Peterhead has to be a total non-starter. Go for Rosyth I would say. Pity Leith has no Ro-Ro facility.

Wha's gyaan tae pit dat parcel dit doo really waants doon tae da boat at Rosyth ?

Anybody that wants my money!

A certain Aberdeen shop once asked me if i wanted a purchase delivered to my home address fo £10, or did i want to take it with me?

For a tenner i thought it was worth the money to avoid carrying a bulky item onto the boat. Then guess what, when it arrived in LK i had to pay freight on it to get it released. ie All the ABZ twatts did was run it to the terminal, which must have been in a chauffeur driven limo for a tenner! A taxi would have been cheaper! Scum.

Rosyth can't be any worse.

Wha's gyaan tae pit dat parcel dit doo really waants doon tae da boat at Rosyth ?

A certain Aberdeen shop once asked me if i wanted a purchase delivered to my home address fo £10, or did i want to take it with me?

For a tenner i thought it was worth the money to avoid carrying a bulky item onto the boat. Then guess what, when it arrived in LK i had to pay freight on it to get it released. ie All the ABZ twatts did was run it to the terminal, which must have been in a chauffeur driven limo for a tenner! A taxi would have been cheaper! Scum.

:lol: :lol: Sucker !!!

Guest Anonymous

look at the price of the boat to abz think how much extra it will cost to sail to edinburgh so i tink over all it will be a lot more

Aberdeen to Rosyth is about 85 miles, a little over 3 hours at 24 knots and you miss out that terrible A90 for the start of the onward bit. I know that the hauliers would prefer not to have to drive the A90 when delivering goods to the isles. Rosyth is pretty well on the motorway network for those travelling onwards, and Edinburgh is a much better place than Aberdeen for the shopaholics. Peterhead has to be a total non-starter. Go for Rosyth I would say. Pity Leith has no Ro-Ro facility.

I've not actually found a distance to Rosyth, but Port Edgar is 90 miles, Rosyth is slightly further away. That would mean lookng at very nearly 4 hours extra steaming time assuming the Ships were able to travel full speed.

The costs invlolved in fuel for this will be quite high, also the crewing. I believe that at present the crews are so close to their permitted hours that they bring in shore staff when the ship has to move off the berth to let the Norrona in.

This would mean increasing crew numbers. None of this could happen without the fares going up. This at a time when flights are getting cheaper.

Most of the hauliers have said they have difficulty with the 5.30 sailing times from Lerwick, so the extra time would have to go on at the end of the voyage getting you into Rosyth at 11 in the morning. I can drive off the boat at 7 in the morning just now and be in Glasgow by about 9.30 without hoofing it.

There are a great number of people with business, personal, educational and health ties with Aberdeen. They are almost certain to stop using the boat to get to Aberdeen, cutting the passenger numbers which could again drive fares up.

If freight hauliers really do want to cut out the extra mileage driving to Aberdeen, then why cant one or both of the freight boats go to Rosyth?

I'm in danger of boring myself here now so i'll stop, but do you really still think the boat going to Rosyth is preferable to Aberdeen? I cant think of one benefit. You are, after all, just going to be paying more to slow down your journey.

You are, after all, just going to be paying more to slow down your journey.

When you put it like that, I think you're right

When I talk to non-Shetlanders about the length of time the journey currently takes, most people are quite shocked. I think adding a few more hours to the journey would put many people off the idea of visiting Shetland

Guest Anonymous

well looks like the service is getting no better acording to the North Link boss on the TV tonight.

so shetland is no beter off so what have we had all this hassle for over the last few years.

looks like north link and cal mac are now desided to do nothing difrent, i am so disapointed. Tavis you have let the shetland people down great style!

How long we we have to put up with the tin bath ships and the marive cabin prices now!??