Lib Dem Coalition with the Tories if it happens?

The problem for you guys is that the Islands voted libdem, Scotland has only one Tory seat and will be dictated to by a Condem Gov. It will be interesting to say the least. The worry will be our standing in Europe. A Tory boy has already ignored a question on the 6 billion pounds of cuts and banged on about how bad being in the EU is. The Tories say they are the winners, even though they they never made it to the finish line, as none of them did. Then to be fair there should have been an all party gov to see the country through the next year or so and another election. There will always be some aparent unfairness. We as a country only seem to have a 4 or 5 year plan, as long as a single parties ego could last at the minimum. So, we will continue to spend tax money changing a system put in place by another parties ego.

But as we all know, the Media call the shots and can make or break a government. Perhaps there should be an additional subject at school to cover this..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fistly Shetland peat, you clearly have not a clue about the undemocratic and hugely expensive project which is the Euopean Political union.

They have just arranged for half a trillion Euro dollars to be thrown at maintaining this project to keep it going for a few years longer and this country is immediately in line for a £13 billion bill, which of course the county has to borrow first as its already skint.

But back to the con-dem coallition.

Our M.P now has a hotline right into the cabinet in downing street.

If he can bring about some major changes to the way the C.F.P has been destroying our fishing stocks and Industry over the last 25 years and also rectify other major issue's such as giving us fair fuel prices in line with the U.K average, then I will happily vote liberal demacrat at the next national election

Regardless of the length of their spoon they'll still be eating shucks.

My understanding is that Clegg needed a 75% 'for' vote in the party room to enter the coalition. I'm very interested in knowing how Alistair voted.

The Libdems are going to have to bin any policy deemed remotely progressive to get to their goal of going to the country on PR. I imagine thir time in government will see them so hopelessly tainted they'll be wiped out as a political force - such as it is. Previous Tory/Whig coalitions have generally not panned out well for the latter.

A hotline to the cabinet? Yeah, right. Much good that did us in the the Scottish coalition. I can confidently predict that it will not make one jot of difference to the CFP - Cameron and Clegg have - pardon the pun - bigger fish to fry. The clamouring of the Europhombes will be heard louder - but with the Tories in No 10, strong links to Europe are even more vital to peripheral communities.

All this proves is that anyone who voted Lib Dem in the hope of progressing any progressive/liberal agenda has been utterly disenfranchised and would be an utter mug to vote for the duplicitous b@stards ever again.

Will you turn that goddamn profanity filter off - it makes eveyone sound like a maiden aunt . "Shucks" fer {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'}'s sake. What is this? Amish Disneyland? I think the readers can handle the word puss puss

I think, at this stage it would not be cost effective to jump out of europe. Being we depend on a bit of trade with them, our money is tied in with the Euro and so on. As you may have missed what I was getting at, the most important thing is the 6 billion cut you guys will take part in and the fact the Tory boy on TEE VEE ignored the question. And an amnesty and a cap on immigration. The Tories did not get to the finish line, nor did anyone else. PR looks good at this moment.

I agree with your post almost entirely new magnie, but I will let myself hope for the time being that this new government might prove better than the last.

And Carmicheal does have some teeth now in his position in parliament, I realise they may only be small teeth but it is a step up from the toothless position he was in before.

And of course if he and the libs dont deliver for shetland with this new element of power, then I will be hoping that they dissapear into the wilderness permanantly.

And yes the swear filter, I guess the people who run this have been brain washed after too many years living under the labour nanny state and are suffering acutely from the P.C. bug.

Shetland peat, the trade with europe is more about us buying their products than europe buying ours.

The trade being affected story is the main bit of propaganda used by the pro-political union brigade.

We have had trade agreements written a long time ago under the E.E.C.

There is no reason any of that should stop, individual companies and manufacturers will still need and want all trade they can get, regardless of what is going on at the political level.

We are off topic a bit, finally from me, do you think all the groups, enteprises and organisations will get a similar amount of funding from our new government instead of the EU we did not pay into the European Community.

I think there are many hidden benefits, freedom to travel across borders with just an ID card, ability to go and live and work in any EU country.

I do not think as a nation we would be better off, if not, why have we been in the EEC for so many decades with so many governments. We also may not get the support we need in our time of crisis. Fin.

Anyhow, it seems that as soon as the Tories have enough MPs as the course of this Government continues, they are goung to re assess the capitol gains tax to alow the limit to reach 2,000,000. They will also introduce what they have had to hold back on to get LibDem support. This was on the Jeremy Vine program on R4.

The other result is the record numbers of new members to The Labour Party.

These could be either Lib Dems who feel cheated and or folk who have just realised what they had just done with their vote.

And some on the JV show were wondering if they could get their vote back cos they voted for one thing and it was dropped/introduced.

We will all need to sort out our finances, we know not of what is to come with this administration...

We will all need to sort out our finances, we know not of what is to come with this administration...

If folks had sorted out their finances ten years ago instead of following the labour example of borrow and spend more than could be afforded then the place widna be in such a god awful mess now.

We have never known what is before us that is why only a damn fool lik gordon brown spends everything he has and then some along with selling the family silver and mortgaging the house for a damn site mair than its worth.

So if a tory government is going to make you start looking after your pennies then there might just be hope for you yet.

Still, despite what you say, my last sentance holds true. Have you forgotten about the waiting lists folks had to endure and the constant pillaging of pension funds, the Amarican sub prime mortgages, oh, we are still rated AAA with our international credit scoring. There were many external facters to be involved with this. Now the health service will struggle as NI contributions will be cut, against Lib Dem policies, but you guys are Lib Dem in the Thule, yet what you voted for has been brushed aside to massage egos.

Even though the leadership looks young, they are backed by cronies, and if you read the memiors of some of the Sir Humphries that were at number 10, they never met a Prime Minister who had the qualifications to do the job. But, as Lib Dems cross the floor (1 gone as an independant already) the majority could easily waine until there is no outright majority and the country is run by a minority. With not enough voted to get policies through.

Then another election, Labour Vs ConDem. Dodgy one that. Alot of bad betrayal feelings, try listening to the radio.

If folks had sorted out their finances ten years ago instead of following the labour example of borrow and spend more than could be afforded then the place widna be in such a god awful mess now.

We have never known what is before us that is why only a damn fool lik gordon brown spends everything he has and then some along with selling the family silver and mortgaging the house for a damn site mair than its worth.

So if a tory government is going to make you start looking after your pennies then there might just be hope for you yet.

God, some people have the memory of midgies. The bankers crashed the economy, not Joe Bloggs next door.

The Lib Dems had a choice.....sort of. Form a shaky alliance with Labour and a collection of smaller parties which would still only give a small majority in Parliament or agree a programme with the Conservatives that would see some Lib Dem policies turned into action while persuading the Conservatives that there were things they could not support. Means we have a strong government to deal with urgent issues quickly. After all there are plenty of sensible proposals in both parties manifestos.

The only workable alternative I could see working would be a Labour and Conservative coalition which I think would have been possible once Gordon Brown resigned and which may yet happen on some issues that are common to the more moderate elements of each party.