Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a serious midjudgement. Hopefully they will listen to advice before it's too late. It would be a disaster if this station was closed, given the quantity of shipping in this area, and the dreadful seas that we get.

It's not only for the "resident" shipping such as fishing and oil industry, but the large quantity of ships that pass through these waters en-route to somewhere else.

I think some perspective is needed here. Yes it would be very bad for Shetland if the coastguard station was to close, not just for the loss of jobs but the loss of local knowledge.

If it does close then it doesn't mean the Coastguard is abandoning the North of Scotland to whatever fate throws at it, but that everything operational, planning and communications wise will be controlled remotely. The technology exists to do this, and should mean no degradation in the service provided. The helicopter will still be at Sumburgh, the lifeboats will still be in Lerwick and Aith, and the cliff rescue teams will still be there, (although I understand from a reliable source that the latter are due to be handed over to the RNLI's control, so the Coastguard will have no physical resources directly in its control.)

I do think it would be a big blow for Shetland if the station was to close.

Seaflech, I feel that you are sadly misinformed, as one of the people you are referring to here I think I may be better informed.

There is no guarantee that the helicopter will stay at Sumburgh, as the privatisation go ahead they may move them onto the mainland with a refuelling station in Sumburgh.

The coastguard teams are not and will not be coming under the control of the RNLI, that really is pure rubbish, sorry

As for the radio sites, well, yes the tech is there but alas like all things the money is not. If you ask the coastguard station they will tell you there is not a day goes by without a radio fault. Often the communications are very difficult and they have to think on their feet to ensure that communications keep going with stricken vessels. Officers often have to sit at the top of hills with hand held radios just to make sure that there are no maydays, can't see aberdeen coming up to do that.

Personally for me, I want to know the coastguard is close at hand when I go to sea.

Also with the increase in oil and gas movement we need them close.

It will be a blow if the coastguard closes, I’m sure that if anyone wants to visit and see for themselves what they do, the officers would welcome them. I’ve been and you would be surprised what they actually do. Of course not to mention the organisation of medical movements from the hospital to the mainland. Not a risk I’m willing to take. I support them all the way.

On a purely technical note, the link between Shetland Coastguard and the mainland is NOT secure. The aerial sites are reliant on BT Private Wires which for Aberdeen to access would also be utterly dependant on the link to the mainland. As we all know to our cost this link is not secure. Just think back to the broadband problems we all suffered a few weeks back. Imagine if that happened again and the link to the aerials sites was lost for a week, what then? And before anyone says that the Coastguard is different because its an emergency service, the answer is no they are not! The Coastguard is treated no better than anybody else when it comes to fault reporting - the usual abysmal "its not us it must be your equipment" nonsense that everyone else has to put up with and endless delays. Fact is, someone calling Mayday could not guarantee being heard.

Seaflech, I feel that you are sadly misinformed, as one of the people you are referring to here I think I may be better informed.

There is no guarantee that the helicopter will stay at Sumburgh, as the privatisation go ahead they may move them onto the mainland with a refuelling station in Sumburgh.

The coastguard teams are not and will not be coming under the control of the RNLI, that really is pure rubbish, sorry

Sorry to counter what you are saying, but my source is high enough in the MCGA to know what he is talking about, and the idea of relinquishing the coast rescue teams to the RNLI's control has been, and is being considered although it hasn't appeared in any public form yet.

For the helicopter, there may be no guarantee that it will stay at Sumburgh, but I cannot think of a single positive reason for moving it, and I think it would be political suicide for any politician to even suggest it. The service provided by the two long range bases of Stornoway and Sumburgh just could not be relocated on any grounds.

Sorry to counter what you are saying, but my source is high enough in the MCGA to know what he is talking about, and the idea of relinquishing the coast rescue teams to the RNLI's control has been, and is being considered although it hasn't appeared in any public form yet.

Actually, if anybody wants an idea as to what may happen to the Coastguard Rescue Service in Shetland, you need look no further than across the Fair Isle Channel to Orkney. There used to be 13 teams there, now there are 6. Don't assume that because someone is high up in an organisation it means they have the full picture, often the full import of such controversial decisions are know only by a small select cabal for obvious reasons.

I would have far more faith if calling a Shetland coastguard station than an Aberdeen one, or to be honest anywhere outside of Shetland.

Imagine calling Aberdeen coastguard to say a boat has gone aground at the Orkney Man's Cave on Bressay?.

Cue responce "a boat aground at the Orkney Man's Cave on Birsay?" and launch of Orkney lifeboat :lol:

I suppose you also have to remember that the coastguard responce teams are volunteers and the effect this would/might have on their moral.

Shetland without a Coastguard Station?. Madness..... :evil: :(

often the full import of such controversial decisions are know only by a small select cabal for obvious reasons.

..of which the source I refer to is one.

Even if that were the case its somewhat moot, since no one in the MCA, not even the Chief Exec, has the authority to make such a major decision. As an arm of the Civil Service, any such major decisions are made at Ministerial level and not by MCA management. All MCA, or any other Govt agencies management for that matter, can do is submit a range of proposals for Ministerial approval so, whilst what you say may be a proposal (although as I understand it its a hoary old chestnut thats been doing the rounds for years) it will likely not be the only one and may never see the light of day, depends what mood Mr. Hammond is in!

Please forgive me. But the older i get the less i trust.I know im probably being very cynical. But i cant help thinking that this "story" has been leaked to the Shetland press by the Libdems so that our two wonderful M(S)Ps can ride to the rescue and save our station. (Which probably wasnt going to close anyway) So they can claw back some ground localy at least before the Holyrood elections. Nothing would surprise me anymore when politicians are envolved. When i hear stories like this i cant help thinking of the euro sausage.! All IMHO ofcoarse.NAI DYOR etc....