tall ships

hflynn

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were up for 1999, was excellent, and a partial eclipse, all in a week.

I went a few years ago to the Liverpool Tall Ships, absolutely no match.

Could not get near the ships, had to walk miles to see them, hard to interact with the crews.

The clubs, bars and eateries made a killing.

We had to park at Aintree Race course and catch a bus.

We sat at Sound on the old coast road to the dump and watched them leave Lerwick, it was a brilliant site watching the masts moving along behind the Knab. The wind was very low and you could still see them on the horizon many hours later.

If any of you remember the Irish vessel, AsgardII, sadly she sunk soon after Liverpool.

From The Times

September 12, 2008

Adventure sailing ship Asgard II sank off the French coast

Dublin The majestic sailing ship Asgard II, bought by the Irish Government to provide adventure sail-training for civilians, sank off the French coast. The captain called for help at 2am yesterday when the crew discovered flooding in the hull. French Navy helicopers and boats were used to rescue 20 crew members, who were aged between 16 and their mid-sixties. The Asgard II sank seven hours later.

The two-masted vessel was built 27 years ago in the style of a classic pirate ship. It was nearing the end of week-long voyage from Falmouth to La Rochelle when it sank.(AP)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4735380.ece

What made, and makes me cringe is the "viking" parades.

It wouldn't be half as bad if the suits actually resembled what the vikings wore but what we see is "Hollywood vikings" and it's an embarrassment :(

Also, if we're so proud of our "viking" history why are folks giving their bairns such stupid names as Willow, Rhianna, Isla, Eilidh, Cian, Caiden, Cally, Kyle, Iona, Eoin, etc, etc(see the wonderful ii magazine for details)?. I actually cringe at these names more than the viking parades.....

Anyway rant over, back to the Tall Ships of 99 and it was a bit of a spectacle but I remember feeling that once you'd seen the ships that was pretty much it(unless you drink which I don't).

So, I'm sure it'll be a spectacle again and it will be great to see all the ships but I won't be loosing any sleep in anticipation of it!.

Also, if we're so proud of our "viking" history why are folks giving their bairns such stupid names as Willow, Rhianna, Isla, Eilidh, Cian, Caiden, Cally, Kyle, Iona, Eoin, etc, etc(see the wonderful ii magazine for details)?. I actually cringe at these names more than the viking parades.....

How to instantly fall out with a significant percentage of Shetland parents using less than 50 words. :wink: :lol:

Kavi Ugl ..Kavi Ugl

Are you been drinking tonight because you seem to be talking out you wheefer you neep..

Da only thing I'm been drinking da night is tea and as for "drinking" see my original post :wink:

Oh, and it's still all true!!. "I name this baby Pete Bog"

As for the Tall Ships, it was "fine" but I felt it was braaly over-rated.