Lurkers come oot

Just noticed that there are 185 registered users of the Shetlink forums that have only posted 10 messages or less. Of these 97 have never posted a thing!

Obviously some of these will be newly registered users who haven't had a chance to get into the swing of things yet but what about the rest? Is there anything we can do to entice them out of their shells?

/me waves a saat piltick aboot...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that there are 185 registered users of the Shetlink forums that have only posted 10 messages or less. Of these 97 have never posted a thing!

Obviously some of these will be newly registered users who haven't had a chance to get into the swing of things yet but what about the rest? Is there anything we can do to entice them out of their shells?

And you can be sure that there will also be *heaps* of unregistered users lurking and nosing to see what's being said.. ;)

And you can be sure that there will also be *heaps* of unregistered users lurking and nosing to see what's being said.. ;)

It doesn't really bother me to be honest. I can see why some folk don't want to post. Maybe they've got better things to do (heaven forbid!), or aren't able to post at work (that's my excuse for obsessing over these boards anyway : unmonitored work internet access!)

I've never written a letter to the Shetland times or indeed any other publication, but I usually always go to the letters page first.

There's a board called perspectives .com, which I look at a lot. It's just political debate between Americas racist, rabid right and normal folk. I used to post on it a lot, but now I just read as I found it to exhaustive to deal with some of the folk on it and found that others said what I wanted to say far better than I would, saving me the hassle.

(here's the link, by the way http://www.perspectives.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=71 )

The more the merrier, I say - regardless of wether you post, register or simply read.

It doesn't really bother me to be honest. I can see why some folk don't want to post. Maybe they've got better things to do (heaven forbid!)

I really would like to see more of the lurkers post but i do have to agree with Ally here. I know of people who are self-confessed lurkers who really appreciate the discussions though feel no need to add to them. There is even the opinion that becoming involved is a "frightening prospect" as some people simply don't have the time to allow themselves to get sucked into the debates in the way that they know they would. Even just keeping up with the new posts is a lengthy process, let alone adding to them! :wink:

The more the merrier indeed, whether expressive or not.

It doesn't really bother me to be honest. I can see why some folk don't want to post. Maybe they've got better things to do (heaven forbid!)

I really would like to see more of the lurkers post but i do have to agree with Ally here. I know of people who are self-confessed lurkers who really appreciate the discussions though feel no need to add to them. There is even the opinion that becoming involved is a "frightening prospect" as some people simply don't have the time to allow themselves to get sucked into the debates in the way that they know they would. Even just keeping up with the new posts is a lengthy process, let alone adding to them! :wink:

The more the merrier indeed, whether expressive or not.

Agree with both of you. I was more stating the obvious than criticising. :)

I've never written a letter to the Shetland times or indeed any other publication, but I usually always go to the letters page first.

Provided they were supplied to them, I'm sure if they allowed letters to be published with names and addresses withheld the Shetland Times could be a much better forum for public debate. Folk understandably don't want to write in if what they say is going to be controversial even if it reflects the view of the silent majority.

Wan thing I notice is dat maist folk post during da day. I usually only get da chance to look efter 10pm when its a struggle tae string twa words tagidder

• 3 months later...
I often sit with friends but dont contribute much to the conversation. Likewise I see no need to write something in a forum just because im reading it.

Hope that makes sense

Aye, of course that makes perfect sense... in the same way I like reading a newspaper's letters but never send one.

But I do understand people with a grudge about lurkers, or a desire to make them come out and contribute, to make a bit of an effort. Parties are always a lot more fun if everyone says a bit rather than a few having to make all the conversation :D