Orsa

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, almost everything is ready.

this is the schedule:

- june 3rd: arrive in Sumburgh

spend 3 days there to see Sumburgh Head, Pool of Virkie, Old Scatness, Jarlshof and move to Boddam and Quendale.

- june 7th: move to Sandwick

spend 2 days there and move to Mousa and St. Ninians Isle

- june 9th: move to Lerwick

visit the city and move daily to Scalloway, Weisdale and Burland Croft

- june 14th: move to Walls

visit Papa Stour isle and Sandness

- june 17th: move to Eshaness (Camping Site)

- june 20th: move to Fetlar

- june 22nd: move to Unst

- june 25th: come back to Sumburgh and fly to Edimburgh/Milan

• 3 weeks later...

When in Lerwick, I would suggest adding the island of Bressay (seven minute ferry) as you can return walk down to the Lighthouse/cliffs in half a day OR across the island (3 miles) to the east side overlooking the island of Noss - get the boat across the narrow waters [if the red flag is flying on Noss, it is too windy and won't run]. Walking around Noss is about 5/6 miles and has the AMAZING Noop of Noss, where thousands of birds nest. Alternatively, get one of the commercial boats and sail to see the cliffs.

• 1 month later...
I am flying from Edinburgh to Sunburgh in August. Am I likely to experience much turbulence on the flight (I have avoided watching the YouTube video someone previously mentioned on here!)?

Thank you

I've been to and from Shetland on days you wouldn't think they would fly and have to say the turbulence is never that bad, had worse on transatlantic flights.

With the Saab planes that fly to and from Sumburgh you're likely to get a little bit of bouncing about at either end, but for the most part the flights are pretty calm, even in winter.

(And the bouncing about you get at either end isn't that bad either - the pilots are phenomenal, and the planes are safe as houses, even if they look a bit tired on the inside).