Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

I do not think that Japan was expecting such a chain of events. The infrastructure had been severed in many places. To not offer help to a person or country because they appear wealthy is backward. Over 90 countries offered help, one of them represents you. Until the person or country can function on its own again, why would you sit back and watch the suffering.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......................must refrain from any jokes...................... as everyone seemed to loose their sense of humor :shock:

There is nothing funny about watching people die.

in case you have forgotten i never made a joke about people dying so i dont know how you came to that conclusion? plus people deal with things differently all the time, i made a a joke from a bad situation simply because thats how i deal with things. Just because you and some others were too uptight about it you took it the complete wrong way

Zebbidy - some of us did read the "jokes" remember, and you know fine well you were making direct references to people dead and dying in Japan.

Pretending things didnt happen wont make them go away. And you are of course entitled to type as many "jokes" into notepad on your computer as required to help you deal with things, no need to make the very deliberate and time consuming deceision to post them in a public forum.

Guest CyprusPluto
I do not think that Japan was expecting such a chain of events. The infrastructure had been severed in many places. To not offer help to a person or country because they appear wealthy is backward. Over 90 countries offered help, one of them represents you. Until the person or country can function on its own again, why would you sit back and watch the suffering.

ShetlandPeat I see absolutely no reason for not offering to help and I can't believe anybody would think otherwise. I think the issue is the offering of money, it's relatively miniscule to the coffers than Japan has at its own disposal.

But each person is entitled to their own methods of offering help and money is one of them.

It's nice to see that 99.9% of people care about others that we have and never will see.

Guest CyprusPluto
.......................must refrain from any jokes...................... as everyone seemed to loose their sense of humor :shock:

in case you have forgotten i never made a joke about people dying so i dont know how you came to that conclusion? plus people deal with things differently all the time, i made a a joke from a bad situation simply because thats how i deal with things. Just because you and some others were too uptight about it you took it the complete wrong way

You are incredible and stubborn. Obviously your life is full of roses and wine and good luck to you. Your "jokes" were directly linked to the Japanese peoples ability or otherwise to swim. Oh, I forgot to mention the adjective - you are sick!

My life is also not too bad; after all I'm quite lucky because I don't know you.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/30die15.jpg

Actually, a GSOH and even "black humour" does actually tend to help survivors. Take the NZ quake. I hadn't watched TV for about 3 days and had not visited any news websites. A friend of a friend had posted on Facebook a clip of a glacier exploding or something like that during the quake. Now I didn't watch the clip, just saw the photograph of the clip.

So putting my massive foot in it, I cracked a joke about how many peeps turned to their other half and said "Did the earth move for you then dear?"

About an hour later (1am) I was watching BBC News 24 and realised there had been a quake. Feeling very red in the face, etc., I posted a suitably worded reply.

The friend of a friend lived in New Zealand. After I had posted my apology, they posted that they were all making similar jokes and not to worry. They then proceeded to post a load of other jokes about the quake, even though they had lost many possessions, etc.

Likewise, another friend has close friends in Japan. They have lost all of their koi (although miles from the quake, the fish have died, probably through shock) but have commented how they particularly like some of the jokes doing the rounds on the internet. Now these are from people who have lost relatives, belongings, etc.

Agreed, nothing funny when people die - but then it depends on the circumstances and whether you accept death being part of life.

I'm not donating to the Red Cross appeal. Isn't there still money left from the tsunami appeal a few years back?

And re insurance - you'd be surprised at what you think is covered and then find out it isn't and vice versa.

It must have been absolutely petrifying for all caught up in such a sad, catastrophic event but likewise, as other posters have mentioned, there is such poverty existing in other parts of the world that doesn't even make it onto the glorified BBC News 24.

Edit: And the Foreign Office/Government bods tend to have a wad of our dosh that they send. I might be inclined to send to a small charity but not the large organisations who spend far too much cash on their own infrastructures.

I think it is ridiculous to make any comparison with hull, cumbria or even new zealand with what has happened to japan.('we didnt ask japan for help for cumbria or hull so why should we give them help' WHAT?????) The largest earthquake ever recorded, towns and villages wiped out, 10k+ dead so far, nearly 1/2 million homeless, potential nuclear disaster (which could affect the world) etc etc etc etc

No mater how rich the country or how strong their economy, nobody is/could be prepared for this, (usa proved this with new orleans) and as already mentioned they are getting well needed help from lots of countries, including UK

Im not suggesting that we all should hand out our hard earned to random charitys collecting for japan, The uk gov as a whole should provide the necessary in times like this in which case we the tax payer are donating (at a time when we can ill afford it)

As previously mentioned in this thread if you do donate to the charitys how much of your money actually gets there? and does it get to where you thought it was going. Ive been a bit dubious about the big charitys since one of the biggest hit the headlines years ago for paying their bosses a fortune, driving flash company cars and it turned out about 12p in your pound got to the cause???

The after effects of this disaster will be felt for years possibly decades to come but shockingly as already mentioned in this thread Libya has taken top spot in the news.

If the libyans decide to have an uprising to oust their leader (on the back of seeing the egyptian one) let them get on with it. Any humanitarian issues should be dealt with by United Nations, thats what they are for!!! The last thing uk/usa need is to tell yet another country how to run their own affairs.

Now we've go Yemen at it too.....

It wasn't a joke. Koi are carp. It was a reference to their involvement in the crisis. Their fish died. In the context of 10,000+ human fatalities, I can understand why those who lost only fish were in a position to accept the previous jokes.