The fact that people do not know who the leaders are is indicative of the ignorance that is prevalent amongst our society. A large number of people are more concerned about the goings on in Eastenders and Coronation Street than they are about the issues affect reality. Nevertheless, I am not going to launch into a diatribe on the plight of our society.

'Anal Retentive' :wink:

Cool.. Bobadog... Made me laugh!!

I'm of the opinion that tavish only ever believed in climbing the political ladder, and if the national front had been the party of power in Shetland that's who he would have nailed his colours to. he has consistently towed the party line when it is clearly not in Shetlands interests. Joe Grimmond will be birling in his grave.

And before any one thinks I'm calling tavish a nazi, I'm not but I am calling him a political whore

He should head back to hearding sheep on Bressay!

The fact that people do not know who the leaders are is indicative of the ignorance that is prevalent amongst our society. A large number of people are more concerned about the goings on in Eastenders and Coronation Street than they are about the issues affect reality. Nevertheless, I am not going to launch into a diatribe on the plight of our society.

That aside, I agree with the above poster who commented on the apathy that the British Public have towards politics. One of the issues causing this is the fact that the main parties are almost exactly the same. They are nothing but faces for the real decision makers of our country. Organisations like MI5, DEFRA, BAE, the financial institutions and Oil Companies always remain constant – these are the groups that influence and change our environment, energy, economy, foreign policy etc. The Governments change, get their five minutes of fame, whilst acting as puppets to serve the greater good of our capitalist rulers. I find this abhorrent, and although I regularly vote, I know deep down that my vote actually does not make any difference. Is it any wonder that individuals become apathetic?

Thats Because to most people Eastenders and the other soaps have more relivance to there lives than what Tavish does.

I pity those lives then. Soaps are bereft of any sign of intelligence or common sense, and their occupants stumble from one crisis of their own making to another, via an occasional crisis a blind man could have seen coming. I'm not saying taking an interest in Tavish's antics is any better than a soap, but you need to keep a wadder ee on what him and his ilk are up to collectively, for your own survival.

Keeping an eye on soaps IMHO at best is designed to bore you witless, or at worst make you suicidal in less than one episode.

With one Lib Dem now saying Alec Salmond will make the best First Minister I fear any dreams Tavish had of getting that position this time round must be well and truly dashed against the rocks of politics.

Those dreams were smashed a couple of days after the UK election last May

Well I for one will be sticking Lib dem. I find it mind-boggling that everyone thinks they are some sort of dirty turncoats, and further people attributing their dislike of the national party to the regional party too.

It makes me a little sad that society has so little interest or respect for *any* politicians these days.

It makes me a little sad that society has so little interest or respect for *any* politicians these days.

Between the outright crooks, the duplicitous and the ineffectual damp squibs with rubber backbones, there's not exactly many to be found to have interest in, or any level of respect for.

Put a noticable sprinkling of honesty, integrity and the ability to stand up and fight for what they believe in back in to politics, and I think things would be very different. Disinterest and disrespect is the product of having been sucked in and left high and dry one time too many.

• 5 weeks later...
Whats the chances of us (And Orkney) being the only two places to vote in the Limpdems. We will be a laughing stock.

For the sake of whats left of our fishing industry the last thing we need is a Labour fisheries minister during the CFP review in 2012. For that reason i will be voting SNP. Besides Iain Gray or Elmar fudd as he is known to most people is an even bigger joke than Tavish.

With the appalling choices on offer its no wonder people dont vote.

IMHO..etc

Looks like i was right.? And i do feel like a laughing stock.

Limpdem meltdown.!

Well done the SNP. I hope they dont get to carried away with themselves tho.

I also think that the idea that the majority of Shetlands population are against the wind farm doesnt hold much water.

I would think its still 50 50ish. Judging by Billys votes.

I expect the debate will carry on.

But given the SNP lead and their commitment to renewables it will probably be built.?

Poor Tavish. He will have to name his party the Sitting at the back looking grumpy party.

Thats politics i suppose.!

Between the outright crooks, the duplicitous and the ineffectual damp squibs with rubber backbones, there's not exactly many to be found to have interest in, or any level of respect for.

Put a noticable sprinkling of honesty, integrity and the ability to stand up and fight for what they believe in back in to politics, and I think things would be very different. Disinterest and disrespect is the product of having been sucked in and left high and dry one time too many.

total agreement GR , but the splineless gutless 2 faced politicians are a sad reflection of society in general , no much fight in the folk either