bin laden dead

That could be religious bigotry then, rather than anything else. Good link. The Americans are slowly being turned against Islam and the Muslim faith. I fear that this is turning into a creed thing. Remember with Ireland, both sides were murderers as was the British Army.

But that is settled and slowly going through the processes.

Thanks for bringing that up, I knew someone would.

tut tut. the British army were not murderers. They were there to help police the conflict. If anything they did a pretty good job of it. Imagine how the yanks or russians or even the french would have handled it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paulb wrote

tut tut. the British army were not murderers. They were there to help police the conflict. If anything they did a pretty good job of it. Imagine how the yanks or russians or even the french would have handled it.
Now there are those who would disagree with that statement. Remember Bloody Sunday!.

That could be religious bigotry then, rather than anything else. Good link. The Americans are slowly being turned against Islam and the Muslim faith. I fear that this is turning into a creed thing. Remember with Ireland, both sides were murderers as was the British Army.

But that is settled and slowly going through the processes.

Thanks for bringing that up, I knew someone would.

The only reason its "settled" is that the minute the WTC came down some astute Irish people realised being labelled a "terrorist" was no longer a cool or smart thing to be, so they couldn't ditch their para-military gear fast enough and find suits that fitted in with politicians.

Oh, yeah, and no WTC along the road to channel their own profits and income in through kinda made their bankers have a rethink on what they'd been financing.

Why am I not surprised at bobdahogs comment...

[***Mod Edit - Personal attack removed, as per the T&Cs***]

Young men and women died on both sides of the conflict because of a war stemming from 800 years of English oppression, bear in mind that some of war over land in Ulster was after the English cleared out the Scottish highlands, English giving them the land of people they had cleared from their land in the province - divide and conquer.

I knew catholic, protestant, atheist, spiritualist , republicans and pacifists who all mourned when Bobby Sands and 9 other young men needlessly died. I seen the pain of the families and the struggles over the last 30 years to make sense of what happened then. As I have since met men and women who were no more than children and still carry the scars some emotional some physical - when they were sent with the British Army to the conflict in Ireland and they also disagreed with again a war being raged out by politicians, media and pub/tabloid commentators....

The people in the Twin Towers were mostly unarmed. as all of his victims around the world were!

I don't quite see how you are working that out. Take the case of the USS Cole for example. Surely it is stretching credibility to claim a 154m destroyer with around 100 missiles and numerous guns is an unarmed target?

Ta. Ta Sooty good riddance

Sooty?

Guest Anonymous
[***Mod Edit - Personal attack removed, as per the T&Cs***]

I say and write nothing on here I would not say to your face. bobby sands was murdering scum he and nine others starving themselves to death saved us feeding them and paying for their keep. just a pity mcguiness et al didn't join them.

As for the conflict being over pete think again and pay a bit more attention to the news. The murders never stopped just the reporting of it.

I spent a lot of time in Ulster during the so called peace process bombs were a daily occurrence yet they were never reported in the UK.

Couldn't show Tony on the telly shaking hands with scum while the next report is about some one killed by a bomb or shot in the street for their percieved religious beliefs.

Hell I want independence from the scoty but killing kids with car bombs in Edinburgh is not the way to go about it.

Guest Anonymous

fair enough njugle, good riddance to all terrorists who end up with their brains blown out or whatever means brings their lives to a premature end.

Those who choose to live by the sword.....

But who really are the aggressors?

If you take a peek here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

You will find that the USA and its Allies have upset many folk around the world. They have been labeled the most aggressive nation on our planet.

Armed action is an extension of US politics.

The fact that they chased a man for 10 years to kill him and not try to put him on trial is a bit wrong. I wonder how many lived were damaged in this pursuit. It could secure a second term for a man who won the Presidentship by being against the was in the middle east.

Blimey, I just don't know where to start with that one Parahandy.

Maybe to ask that you read GypsyScy's post above and take a three deep breaths.

I recall making similar posts when Hussein was executed. Rejoicing in the death of another is a conflicted moral high ground adopt.:wink:

Njugle.

I to made similar posts when Hussein was executed as well. And 4 years later I still have the same view point now as I did back then.

“The moral high ground, in ethical or political parlance, refers to the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding an universally recognised standard of justice or goodnessâ€

^^^ Oh! by the way I have never ever stated that my view point was anything other than my own view point. I acknowledge that others may have another view points from mine.

“Just like the IRA! squealing like pigs about a “shoot to kill policy†when they faced someone with a gun in there handâ€

Anyone who knows me will not be surprised about the above quote

I said this back in 1979 at the AHS. When the topic of the IRA came up.

Just as I have always been proud of the Armed Services past and present..

So he was unarmed. big deal.

The people in the Twin Towers were mostly unarmed. as all of his victims around the world were!

Ta. Ta Sooty good riddance

I still stand by the above former post.

Just as my forbears stood up to be counted in WW! And W.W.II

Anyone who hides in his villa while Little girls with downs syndrome! and little boys have explosives

Strapped to them and then blowing up, are to stupid to even look up the word morals in a dictionary.

I did post that shooting him was to fast a way for him to die but the MoD’s edited it.

I did learn at School, that a bully soon found out that there were bigger and tougher persons than them. Around when they got a good kicking them selves. Sometimes that is the only option that left.

paulb wrote
Now there are those who would disagree with that statement. Remember Bloody Sunday!.

yes. One over reaction however when placed into the background of this.

In response to escalating levels of violence across Northern Ireland, internment without trial was introduced on 9 August 1971.[20] In a quid pro quo gesture to nationalists, all marches and parades were banned, including the flashpoint march by the Apprentice Boys of Derry which was due to take place on 12 August.[22] There was disorder across Northern Ireland following the introduction of internment, with 21 people being killed in three days of rioting.[23] On 10 August Bombardier Paul Challenor became the first soldier to be killed by the Provisional IRA in Derry, when he was shot by a sniper on the Creggan estate.[21] A further six soldiers had been killed in Derry by mid-December 1971.[24] 1,932 rounds were fired at the British Army, who also faced 211 explosions and 180 nail bombs[24] and who fired 364 rounds in return.

Provisional IRA activity also increased across Northern Ireland with thirty British soldiers being killed in the remaining months of 1971, in contrast to the ten soldiers killed during the pre-internment period of the year.[23] Both the Official IRA and Provisional IRA had established "no-go" areas for the British Army and RUC in Derry through the use of barricades.[25] By the end of 1971, 29 barricades were in place to prevent access to what was known as Free Derry, 16 of them impassable even to the British Army's one-ton armoured vehicles.[25] IRA members openly mounted roadblocks in front of the media, and daily clashes took place between nationalist youths and the British Army at a spot known as "aggro corner".[25] Due to rioting and damage to shops caused by incendiary devices, an estimated total of £4 million worth of damage had been done to local businesses.[25

however it was not one sided

The first was Sergeant Michael Willetts, 3rd Battalion. On 24 May 1971, he was killed during a bombing incident at the Springfield Road Police Station in Belfast. A hand-carried bomb in a suitcase was left at the front of the station. Sergeant Willetts held open a door allowing members of the public and police officers to escape and then stood in the doorway, shielding those taking cover. For his actions, he was awarded the George Cross, so far the only member of the Parachute Regiment to receive this award.[135]

In what has since became known as Bloody Sunday, on 30 January 1972, the 1st Battalion, stationed in Belfast, were flown to Londonderry to assist in policing a civil rights march. A witness at the time claimed to have heard one submachine gun and a number of small-calibre weapons being fired intermittently by the Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA). The Paras claimed they had been fired on by snipers and returned fire, killing 13 unarmed civilians and wounding another 17.[136] The regiment has been criticised for its involvement in this tragedy by the Saville Report, which identified significant failures of leadership and command by the commanding officer, and individual failures by the soldiers involved; the report itself has been criticised for being one sided.[137][138]

The 1972 Aldershot Bombing was a revenge attack for Bloody Sunday carried out by the OIRA. On 22 February 1972, a car bomb was left outside the officers mess of the 16th Parachute Brigade in Aldershot. When the bomb exploded, a Roman Catholic priest serving in the army and five female kitchen staff were killed and 19 others were injured.[139]

On 27 August 1979, 16 men of the 2nd Battalion, Parachute Regiment, and two from the Queen's Own Highlanders (QOH) were killed in the Warrenpoint ambush. The first six Paras were killed while travelling in a small convoy of three vehicles. As it passed a roadside bomb hidden in a lorry by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA), the bomb exploded.[140] The PIRA had studied how the Army reacted after a bombing and correctly guessed that they would set up an incident command point in the nearby gatehouse.[141] A second bomb detonated 32 minutes later, killing 10 Paras and two men from the QOH, one being Lieutenant-Colonel David Blair, their commanding officer. A witness reported hearing machine gun fire coming from Irish Republic after the second bomb detonated. The Paras returned fire, but were under orders not to pursue their attackers into the Irish Republic to avoid causing any diplomatic incidents. This is the highest death toll suffered by the British Army in a single incident in Northern Ireland.[142]