• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

A Real Chance for Shetland Home Rule

scottish independance shetland independance fishing industry oil industry

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

we did not belong to Denmark either. we were like the 3 other islands mentioned along with the western isles and the Isle of Man part of the Norwegian crown prior to the alliance of the Scandinavian kingdoms.

Funny how the Isle of Man where the royal rights were sold in their entirety to the scoty king is still autonomous of the UK yet the Western isles sold at the same time in the same deal are a full part of Scotland, and Orkney and Shetland which were never sold only pawned are supposedly a full part of Scotland. could it be due to the isle of Mans geography being that it is south of the scoty english border that its laws were respected. it seems from this that the english are to be trusted more than the scoty when it comes to dealing with them.

#17 PJ of Hildisvik

PJ of Hildisvik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Shetland was administered from Bergen, unlike The Western Isles who were goverened from the I O M.

#18 exciseman

exciseman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep – hence parenthesis on belonged

#19 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1395 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

I believe we have a good case for contitutional change based on wir history but even looking forward, under some international human rights law(I can't remember what it's called) is it not the self-determining right of every people to decide what they do?.

Even if it only applies to "indiginous peoples" I believe that because an estimated 60% of Shetland men still have the Norwegian Y chromosone we are still an indiginous people.

What the SIC needs to do is hold a referendum on if Shetland should seek an alternative constitutional settlement to an independant Scotland and if the answer is yes then we could thrash out the possibilites and then have a second referendum based on those choices.

I guess there's a difference between "belongs to" and "part of".

#20 PJ of Hildisvik

PJ of Hildisvik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

If memory serves me, i believe the Vikings who settled on Shetland were from settlements on the coast between Bergen and Stavanger.

#21 PJ of Hildisvik

PJ of Hildisvik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

The Pictish people living here were probably sold into slavery, a favourite way of money making for all peoples at the time!

#22 fusion

fusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Sounds an interesting idea but do you think wir council would manage it?

#23 Kavi Ugl

Kavi Ugl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1395 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

If memory serves me, i believe the Vikings who settled on Shetland were from settlements on the coast between Bergen and Stavanger.

Yes, and I remember seeing somewhere many years ago that the Shetland surname of Inkster comes from the place-name *Ingasetter* or something which is in that area.

#24 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1414 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Does "Inga" or such refer to slave or the like?

#25 PJ of Hildisvik

PJ of Hildisvik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Inga, or versions of Inga would be a persons name and ster is a farm stead, as in Inga's ? farm.

All places in Shetland ending in ster was a farmstead belonging to someone

#26 DePooperit

DePooperit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Sounds an interesting idea but do you think wir council would manage it?

Yup - I reckon the council would easily manage to sell people into slavery...

#27 Evil Inky

Evil Inky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

I can assure you that Norway would welcome Shetland with open arms and the transfer, although it would take time for everything to settle down, is well within Norway's ability to deal with.

Really? Simply switching over to driving on the other side of the road would cost a lot of money, and no doubt cause a spate of accidents. Still, drink-driving would probably decrease, given the price of alcohol in Norway.

#28 exciseman

exciseman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

I can assure you that Norway would welcome Shetland with open arms and the transfer, although it would take time for everything to settle down, is well within Norway's ability to deal with.

Really? Simply switching over to driving on the other side of the road would cost a lot of money, and no doubt cause a spate of accidents. Still, drink-driving would probably decrease, given the price of alcohol in Norway.

As well as a referendum in Shetland to leave the UK there would need to be one in Norway to accept Shetland - a yes in both is far from certain. There would be no need for Shetland to switch to driving on the right - Malta and Cyprus were in a similar situation and both still drive on the left.

#29 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1414 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Thanks PJ, that clears a lot up for me :lol:

#30 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

There is some doubt as to whether the Inksters were of Norwegian descent or were indigenous to Shetland.
The DNA bods reckon that the McCauly's (son of Olaf) in Ireland share the same DNA.
That explains the family moto "irish girls are easy" big Sven Inkster was a bit of a swordsman in his day and he also had the wit not to give his real name.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scottish independance, shetland independance, fishing industry, oil industry