Mutton

I find it very hard to believe that Norway wouldn't want Shetland back.

I personally think we have a choice - stay with Scotland/GB and eventually die(it's happening already before our eyes) or take the bold step we need to and go back to Norway and flourish. And believe me, Shetland would flourish under Norway because we would instantly see the good of Norway's bold and "can do" attitude - and an extra bonus is we'd be free from the EU's ball and chain.

I fail to see why folk think we have it so good under Scotland and GB. When the oil and gas have eventually gone and the fishing industry is finally dead(given to the other EU states) Shetland will become, and be made, a European Nature Reserve.

Infact, we're half-way there already.....

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Agree 100% kavi wir council seems to think the only thing young Shetland folk are good for is wiping the arses of soothmoothers in the care homes.

truth is WE belonged to Norway den later dey cam under danish rule an we an orkney wer pawned as part of a wedding dowry between danish kings dowter margaret to james 3 o scotland 1400's era, Norway since came back under its own rule and tried to buy us bak but the scots....simply ignored the demands....very clever eh! thus we have remained tied to scotland.

notice how the scots never reacted or tried to shut stuart hill up?

make no fuss and no one will take notice...as cool as you like.

this is why wir language not joost a dialect is a mixture of norsk an scots.

there were no gaelic here as wikipedia states there was, shetlanders spoke Norn and as the scottish became more prominent our language was lost....

So if shetlanders new more and if Norway were to get involved then you never know strange things could happen...lets hoop.

i for one would love to be back in Norwegian control, my god look at their government rule! dae ir one of the richest countries in the world! why!? Norways money from industry etc. gets pumped straight back into its economy!! we have to give money to scotland who in turn give some to england and england blow it on wars an other nonsense! you cant drive a car from the backseat and scotland/england cant drive us properly! hell we aint even on skys wadder map!

Dont get me wrong i hae nothin against scots/english i have som really great friends wha com from bathe places but in my opinion as a shetlander born an raised wi norwegian/iceland connections...an scottish connections i would rather b under Norwegian rule.

Most norwegians i hae spoken to do know som o da history an dat dey owned wis first, but nae change will com here until norway itself gets involved, an if dir wis a vote how wood it work? wood da soothmoothers dat byd here b entitled to vote? cis dae obviously wid vote tae byd as part o' scotland or england.

I tink da only wy is tae no let onybody fae sooth vote as dey irna originally fae shetland.

i kaen dat soonds bad but if i moved tae england or scotland i wid feel dat becis i duna come fae daer i duna hae da right tae a vote an i widna want a vote. an we duna kaen how mony fok has arrived here since 70's oil boom era, 80's etc.

I hoop somthin dus git dun bit i cana see hit, shetland wil b dragged doon an weel aa b poor...

at lest Loony toon Dr 'doom' Wills an sidekeek robin-son riding dir budgebeast wil hae dir precious new super-dooper lerook skool....alls well dat eynds well.. :wink:

I fail to see why folk think we have it so good under Scotland and GB. When the oil and gas have eventually gone and the fishing industry is finally dead(given to the other EU states) Shetland will become, and be made, a European Nature Reserve.

Do Norway not fish the same waters and take oil and gas out of the same North Sea as us? When it's gone it's gone, so given your prediction Shetland would become a Norwegian Nature Reserve, rather than a European one. (Although Norway belongs to Europe, just not the EU.)

I can't understand why so many people think that belonging to Norway would give us such a Utopian existance compared to what we have now. I'm sure they have their own social, domestic and governmental problems that we do.

We should be pulling together more, rather than trying to break things apart. As stated in a previous post, it is very risky championing Shetland's independence on one source of income - oil. Whatever happens the oil is probably going to run out in this current century, and what then? We have no other natural resources except peat, and there's only a limited amount you can do with that, and the fishing is never going to provide the bounties that it did in decades and centuries past. So voting Shetland as an independent state/country/province/whatever, is to vote for at best two generations of fruitition until the oil runs out. Never mind the windfarm, how much would our grandchildren thank us for that decision? If this is seen as scaremongering then even if some of the black gold remains, it is highly likely that technological advances will mean the oil companies of the day will have no need for Shetland, and a by then 50-70 year old terminal complex, so where would we stand then?

I think it could be a case of 'better the devil you know.' The thought of the current council as any kind of 'leadership' is enough to put me completely off the idea - they would struggle to run a bath, let alone the entire economic fortunes of Shetland....

@ seaflech Norway isnt a member state of da E.U. dats wan o da reasons dae hae a rich thriving economy.

dae export more to europe den europe exports tae dem.....

naebody tinks dat its gaen ta b a waak in da park an naebody shurli tinks dat norways government etc. is withoot flaws, every country has its own problems, bit fur whit i cin see dae seem tae hae da ryt idea an ir makin a damn sight better job o runnin dir country den da muppets doon da rod here.

we aa hae da chance tae be a paert o dat economy!! cant believe why we duna want better fur wirsels and wir bairns future!!, if we duna try weel nivir kaen.change can be good as dis train wir on aint headin in da ryt direction!!

@ seaflech Norway isnt a member state of da E.U. dats wan o da reasons dae hae a rich thriving economy.

dae export more to europe den europe exports tae dem.....

naebody tinks dat its gaen ta b a waak in da park an naebody shurli tinks dat norways government etc. is withoot flaws, every country has its own problems, bit fur whit i cin see dae seem tae hae da ryt idea an ir makin a damn sight better job o runnin dir country den da muppets doon da rod here.

we aa hae da chance tae be a paert o dat economy!! cant believe why we duna want better fur wirsels and wir bairns future!!, if we duna try weel nivir kaen.change can be good as dis train wir on aint headin in da ryt direction!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Norway is in fact part of the European Economic Area and as such they are obliged to adopt all EU legislation related to the single market, except laws on agriculture and fisheries.

@ exciseman Norway is not a FULL member state of the EU but is a member of the european economic agreement(a free trade agreement), which means they enjoy all the benefits of trade with europe but retains its own currency and can refuse to contribute in EU issues i.e. bailoots o' iddir countrys an dat...

in iddir wirds, they are sum smart cookies an hivna pit aa dir eygs in ee basket! unlik da englesh/scots an as is saed afore, dats wan o' da reasons dae hae sic a thrivin economy and irna haen da crap dats gaen on owir dis side an sooth an in da rest o europe

Being ruled by Norway is Home rule?

Well I never :D

Having just read Stuart Hill's lecture, I find myself in complete agreement with him.

"Independence for Shetland" I say, you've only got to look at the other "independent" islands around these shores, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, to see that it's no bad thing.

There would be no need for Shetland to switch to driving on the right - Malta and Cyprus were in a similar situation and both still drive on the left.

In which case, a special bilingual edition of the Norwegian Highway Code (with the most of the illustrations reversed, "left" substituted for "right" and vice versa) would have to be produced, just for Shetland. That wouldn't be an impossible feat, but it's an illustration of the issues that would arise.