Shaetlan on the forum?

icepick239

[***Mod edit - split from save Scalloway School thread ***]

I cin remebir bak as aerly is 1990! hearin da rumblins o'closin da scallawa secundry dept!, da mighty toon his aey wantid dis ta happen an dir no gaen ta let hit ging noo...i joost hoop hit comes bak ta bite dem in da a**!

bit b den da eejiits lik da verbal terrorist wills an robinsun an co. will a hae o retired dir pokets spillin owir wi gold an dir wil b nae combak on dem...

nixt plan is close tingwall an burra wait yu an see dis is been on da caerds fur mony a year noo....

I'm sorry, but I haven't really got a spare half an hour trying to decipher your posts.

Just a suggestion, but they might carry more weight if you used the English language, or failing that - Urdu? :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cin remebir bak as aerly is 1990! hearin da rumblins o'closin da scallawa secundry dept!, da mighty toon his aey wantid dis ta happen an dir no gaen ta let hit ging noo...i joost hoop hit comes bak ta bite dem in da a**!

bit b den da eejiits lik da verbal terrorist wills an robinsun an co. will a hae o retired dir pokets spillin owir wi gold an dir wil b nae combak on dem...

nixt plan is close tingwall an burra wait yu an see dis is been on da caerds fur mony a year noo....

I'm sorry, but I haven't really got a spare half an hour trying to decipher your posts.

Just a suggestion, but they might carry more weight if you used the English language, or failing that - Urdu? :)

Ur du sayin dat da viking74 hase hed nae laer?

Dis aald een hasena ony budder readin afflay frae viking74 an I doot a lok less penga wis spent on my lear dan da council is lippenin tae pey on da bairns nooadays. Annider ting dat cam my wey trow da skule dat da leks o icepick dunna hae nooadays is a scaar o patientce.

@icepick....dis is joost fur de......

this is shetland is it not? we speak shetland do we not?(some of us anyway) and is this not a shetland forum? we are not in the heartland of England in case one is not aware of that. and i dont want to stray to much of topic, our mods will not allow it, One prefers to type in ones language as we reside in shetland!! It is high time that more of US shetlanders wrote/typed in our language.

This matter is better discussed in a specific post for said subject matter.

My points are not irrelevant just because they are typed in shetland..or are they? just because you cannot be bothered to read. should i not read yours as they are in english?

@groilick, tanks ta de, hit amazis me foo fok here de-value wir shaetlan joost cis dae cana b buddered ta tak da time ta reed hit an hit amazis me dat wi irna alloed ta wryt in shaetlan ir encureegd ta wryt in it aedir, hit cana b muckle wirt, i doot.

In da vote yistirdae wir learned 'dtr willy' voted fur aa fowir skools ta shut!! Tyme fur som heyds ta roll, G..G..Gussie Angus, Jim Budge, Allison 'dont snigger at my girls name' Duncan, Florence Grains, Jim Henry, Bumblin Bill Manson, Caroline Miller, Rick Nickerson, Frank Robertson, Gary Robinson, Jonathan 'DA DOCTIR' Willy.

time ta ging yu lot!!

I cana believ dat da mighty toon hisna taen an airlifted da scallowa castle owir ta whar hit shood belang! cood use wills private jet ta du hit!

Icepick should do as I (and an awful lot of others) do.

I just don't read the cr*p posted in 'da dialect'.

Posters should realise that, this may be a Shetland forum but, it's read by an awful lot of others as well.

Posting in your 'native' tongue and expecting everyone else to pat you on the back for it is just ignorance.

Posters should realise that, this may be a Shetland forum but, it's read by an awful lot of others as well.

Posting in your 'native' tongue and expecting everyone else to pat you on the back for it is just ignorance.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

An dats hoo soothmoothers get a bad nem

"Groilick" and "Viking74"

What Colin says carries a lot of weight I think.

I am a Shetlander through and through and it annoys me when the "dialect" in its written form, appears as corrupted, mis-spelt and inaccurate...

If you look back, even I use it, but sparingly :)

No harm in having a bit of fun then, but as Colin says, Shetlink is for everybody to participate in...

Thank You and Goodnight :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

An dats hoo soothmoothers get a bad nem

And Shetlanders alike.

(Hoopfully sombody il tak da time tae read me posts)......upo da subject o da flea he cood nae maer mak a referee bak in da dae as he cin mak a cooncilor noo'adaes!! :lol:

An we didna hear muckl complaints fae da learned dr. wills aboot da cooncil waestin money whin dae wir fundin his peerie tourist boat trips!

Hello again, just a suggestion...

If you are able, you should try and get out more.

Why not come to Lerwick and ''hae a dae oot" and expand your horizons :lol:

(Hoopfully sombody il tak da time tae read me posts)

Count me out too.

I don't usually even read as far as that sentence i've quoted.

If you can't make the effort to make yourself easily understood, I can't see why I should make the effort to understand you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can we take the discussion on the merits of writing in dialect to the dedicated forum and leave this one on topic please. Thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doot da icepick an da muppet ir haen budder understaandin da moderator’s Englishda toe. Bit if dir dat asheemd o dir midder tongue lit dem kerry on knapping.

Can we take the discussion on the merits of writing in dialect to the dedicated forum and leave this one on topic please. Thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I doot da icepick an da muppet ir haen budder understaandin da moderator’s Englishda toe. Bit if dir dat asheemd o dir midder tongue lit dem kerry on knapping.

OK Njugle - Done :)

Just to sign-off though - a plea from the heart:

Please Viking74 and Groilick, if you do manage to have a day in the "Toon", avoid going on Radio... :lol:

I've been on Shetland more than 30 years so, I understand what is being written in the local dialect.. I just don't bother reading it.

I wonder just how many valid and interesting points have been missed because of this. You can be a 'Shetlander' if you wish, you can even be a proud(?) Shetlander , you might even aspire to being a redneck as well for all I care but, please, remember that these newsgroups are read by lots of people from outside Shetland.

As I said earlier, deliberately excluding any number of people from your opinions, be they valid or otherwise, is just plain ignorance.

What would you say if I started posting in Welsh? Would you even try and read it? After all, a damned site more people speak Welsh than Shetland.

Mods wid yu please sort oot dis eens dat ir obviously tryin ta steer da shyt!! som o'wis want ta spik shaetlan an shoodna be crucified fur hit!!! if yu cana read hit den duna!

i hae a few englesh an scots pals an dae hiv niffir treaded me lik a 2nd rate citizen in MY AIN LAND....

What would you say if I started posting in Welsh? Would you even try and read it? After all, a damned site more people speak Welsh than Shetland.

Ummm.... missing the point much? Posting in Welsh on a Shetland forum would be a patently ridiculous thing to do.

But would you have a similar issue if people posted in Welsh on a forum specifically for Wales?

Or would you be more likely to side with the Welsh-speakers that were being told that they should post in English to make themselves understood?