• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

CCTV yet again a waste

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Ironwithin

Ironwithin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

http://www.shetlandt...mise-job-losses

What about the £200,000 plus we are spending a year on the cctv?

#2 Stevo

Stevo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

What about the £200,000 plus we are spending a year on the cctv?

I thought it was £200k to set up.. not to run per year..? :?

#3 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

http://www.shetnews....ial-street.html

£200k well spent I see. Surely they budgeted for a video tape when they installed the system?

#4 Spinner72

Spinner72

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

^^ It may well turn out to be well spent, the entire incident may well have been captured crystal clear, but it would be normal for the police to try to amass as much evidence as possible before proceeding surely?

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

^^ I'm aware of Police procedure when it comes to gathering evidence. Surely though, It would've been better to have stopped this assault becoming a serious assault by alerting the on duty officers that cruise the street most weekends?
Then It would only have required a recording of the events and not a request for witnesses.

#6 scoots

scoots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

They have had cutbacks too, I'm sure. Maybe they don't employ someone to watch the cameras?

And maybe it was a quick serious assault, instead of a lengthy battle? I don't know, do you?

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

They have had cutbacks too, I'm sure. Maybe they don't employ someone to watch the cameras?

I hadn't thought of that. You're right, It would save on the leccy bill if they didn't switch on the monitors. :roll:

#8 scoots

scoots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Not what I meant, and I think you know it. :roll:

#9 Piddly

Piddly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

And maybe it was a quick serious assault, instead of a lengthy battle? I don't know, do you?[/quote]

It went on for 30 minutes at least. I seen an argument begin and the wrestling match on the ground, plenty of people watching, didn't want to get involved so continued on to the Lounge. A few people came in over the next 20mins and were talking about it still going on, from what i gathered it was very serious, the guy assaulted was on crutches and had received a few volley's to the head.

#10 Piddly

Piddly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Just to add, the guy on crutch(es) had been involved in an incident outside the Lounge about 20mins before we got there, the other guy involved with that wasn't the same guy at the Tattie shop.

#11 scoots

scoots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

That's terrible. I hope he's alright and they catch who did it. :(

#12 RickB

RickB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

I assume that all those with information have already passed it on to the police?
I know myself that theres been times in the past that I have walked past without informing the police but I have also (many years ago) wished that all witnesses had assisted with police inquiries when I was assaulted.

#13 mikel

mikel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Another appeal in The Shetland Times today for witnesses's to come forward and contact the police with regards to this incident. I hope the people who have posted here who witnessed the events of that night have been in conact with the police. It takes a pretty sick/violent individual to do in a man on crutches!

#14 GT

GT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Another appeal in The Shetland Times today for witnesses's to come forward and contact the police with regards to this incident. I hope the people who have posted here who witnessed the events of that night have been in conact with the police. It takes a pretty sick/violent individual to do in a man on crutches!

Yet another incident http://www.shetnews....ial-street.html

#15 shetlandpeat

shetlandpeat

Re-member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Are there cameras there now?

#16 Stevo

Stevo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Yet another incident http://www.shetnews....ial-street.html

Another incident yes - but if i mind right then the first cctv camera starts at the post office. The toon cctv system doesnt go as far as the boating club. So you cana really blame the cctv if it was never there in the first place.

However i am personally shocked that shetland has stooped so low as to follow the trends of the mainland. Sad day when someone is stabbed in the street and left there.. helpless. Shocking!

#17 groilick

groilick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Another incident yes - but if i mind right then the first cctv camera starts at the post office. The toon cctv system doesnt go as far as the boating club. So you cana really blame the cctv if it was never there in the first place.

However i am personally shocked that shetland has stooped so low as to follow the trends of the mainland. Sad day when someone is stabbed in the street and left there.. helpless. Shocking!

du's said him - bit if I wis setin up da CCTV on da street da very first een I wid pit in wid geng atween da Boatin Club an da Queens.

#18 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

You've forgotten about the last knife attack.. About a year ago? Same area of town (down by Queens Hotel).

#19 Piddly

Piddly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

I know the Shetland rumour mill is in full force with this one and I understand that, but, for everyone reading the link, i'd just like to point out that the writer of the article has said the young man was 'stabbed', if you read carefully what the police statement says, its that they are looking for information on an incident which ".....a 23 year old man received an injury which resulted in hospital treatment." The police haven't actually said it was a stabbing.

This may not turn out to be what everyone is thinking it is, time will tell.

#20 Piddly

Piddly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

You've forgotten about the last knife attack.. About a year ago? Same area of town (down by Queens Hotel).

Can't remember that NX, what was the story there?